Chip's 42 in Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

I have been cooking primarily items that do not require that I stand out by the oven for extended periods. I have taken several steps to preserve heat in the oven and feel that not much heat exits my oven, but time will tell when summer comes.

I did do a good job melting the entire lense off the front of a flashlight on new years eve. I left it in the outer arch so I believe some heat does escape but anything below my chest is still cold.

Other than radiant heat nothing much comes out the arch. Any convective heat goes directly up the chimney as is verified by holding my hand in the arch. Any location from the floor of the arch to about the middle is just warm and above that is nuclear hot.

I have only been cooking pizza on warm days. Above 30 degrees

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM.
    Chip

Comment

Chip and John,

thanks for the information. I will keep it in mind.

Nate
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

We have been having some beautiful weather here 30 degrees above normal. Today it was 70F.

So I have stepped up my work as if it was spring. I was able to get the Soffit and facia installed over the last few days and finalized my lighting. I have still not removed my secondary roof that protects the ridge and flue penetration but if we get a dry spell I will be taking it off soon, I hate having that vertical post in the way.

My wine cubby is doing extremely well and I have not broken or spilled a glass yet....

The counter tops and entry details are still in the works but I realy likee the look of the metal soffits and the lighting seems to work well. The goose neck lamp easily swings into action or out of the way as needed.

The storage areas really need some nice decorative doors but I am really having fun cooking so that gets in the way of working on the finish stuff.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Chip,

That is looking great. I really like the layout and how it is enclosed.

Looks awesome.

David
          "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Originally posted by Dino69 View Post
            Chip,

That is looking great. I really like the layout and how it is enclosed.

Looks awesome

David
            Thanks David, the prep table close by really seems to work out well even though it is still just rough concrete. It will really be nice when I can prepare pizza dough on it.

I have been using pizza sceens for the last few parties we have had and they have been working out well. I put the pies onto the screen and move them to the brick after the first turn. About 30 seconds in the oven. The guests really like building their own pizza and this allows them as much time as they need to complete it without the risk of sticking to the peel.

Hot fire photos from last night.

Chip
            Last edited by mrchipster; 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM.
            Chip

Comment

More progress today as we have had a dry stretch where it is warm enough to do some caulking.

I took off the temporary secondary roof and finished the ridge cap, and boot around the flue.

I used a High temp silicone boot like some others have done. I think it looks OK but the orange really stands out.

I have yet to order a permanent chimney cap and because I used 10 inch stainless it will be really expensive. Hoping to find a good deal somewhere.

I still have some interesting brick work to do between the fence and the oven wall and the facia on the back side but getting closer to finished.

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 04-11-2012, 12:29 PM.
              Chip

Comment

More progress again today I finally got around to putting some doors on the storage areas under the prep table. The latches I purchased would not mount to the brick the way I envisioned so back to the store.

I welded up some brackets to hold the hinges in place so they are not directly attached to the brick.

The doors are made of a 1/2 inch piece of plywood that has been painted with exterior paint and the front surface is 1X4 cedar attached to the ply from the back with 1.25 inch screws.

This conceals the fasteners and the cedar should hold up nicely to the weather.

Because the plywood is painted and inside it should hold up well.

Progress even small is good.

Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 04-13-2012, 02:34 PM. Reason: typos
                Chip

Comment

Dinner with the future in-laws today and of course we made pizza but they also brought stuffed portobello (portabella) mushrooms.

As you can see very tasty looking and they tasted better than they look.

6 Large Portobella Mushrooms - reserve stems
                  3 tbs EVOO plus 2 for dizzling
                  12 oz Hot italian Sausage
                  12 oz sweet Italian Sausage
                  1/2 cup chopped onion (fine)
                  1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (fine)
                  1/4 cup chopped Celery (fine)
                  2 tsp minced garlic
                  1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
                  1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
                  1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
                  1 egg beaten
                  8 oz cream cheese
                  2 tsp Dry Spice (ingredients below)

Dry Spice

2.5 tbs paprika
                  2 tbs salt
                  2 tbs garlic powder
                  1 tbs ground black pepper
                  1 tbs onion powder
                  1 tbs cayenne pepper
                  1 tbs dried oregano

Cook sausage to browned crumble for about 4 minutes add onion bell pepper celery and mushroom stems and cook until softened; about 3 more minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds.

transfer above to food processor and add half of total of each of the following bread crumbs, Parmesan, and parsley. Add 2 tbs dry spice mixture, and cream cheese and blend for 30 seconds, transfer to a bowl and hand mix in the egg until combined.

Place about 1/2 cup mixture into each mushroom cap.

Can be cooked in a Pizza hot oven on foil over cookie sheet or baking pan until done, about 5 minutes.

Remove caps from oven

Mix together remaining bread crumbs, Parmesan, and parsley; and spread over caps.

Put back in hot oven for another minute or so until browned.

Remove and serve with balsamic vinegar, and or EVOO to taste.

Enjoy

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

I know it has been a while since I posted regarding my progress and I apologize, Just thought I should post a photo of my landscaping and stairs to my pool from the oven.

The stairs are solid flamed carnelian red granite from Cold Spring Minnesota
                    6.25 X 18 X 48 inches each and weigh in at about 540 pounds.

The tomato plants to the left of the stairs are my attempt at growing San Marzano's in Minnesota.

Chip
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM.
                    Chip

Comment

Began work on my see thru door today, it will be stainless steel internal and insulation encapsulated about .75 thick with an outer layer of aluminum. The window is a glass top from a household fry pan.

I plan to use it when doing mid temp baking like breads and such that need to be viewed and monitored. I will use my highly insulated door when in long cooking cycles and when greater heat retention is required.

More photos to follow when I make more progress.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Yarh me matey, tis a port hole........yarh....
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Interesting idea Chip...I am curious to see how well it holds the heat. Perhaps an additional lid directly opposite the one you have would increase the insulating value if you conclude one is insufficient. Please let us know...

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            Yarh me matey, tis a port hole........yarh....
                            Arghh.. Guessin me haven the need to find me a nice Parrot bird, or monkey for me shoulder.

All riveted together with my land lubber stainless rivets still needs handles and a little adjustment before mounting the port hole glass.

Some left over FB board as the insulator only .75 thick.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
                              Interesting idea Chip...I am curious to see how well it holds the heat. Perhaps an additional lid directly opposite the one you have would increase the insulating value if you conclude one is insufficient. Please let us know...
                              That is a good idea. since I bought the lid at a thrift store finding an exact match may be interesting. but I will try it with a single window first to see how it works. I would need to have one or the other glass windows removable to be able to clean the inside if needed.

I am planning on using High temp silicone to seal the glass window in place. and there is a small gap between the inner panel and the outer to try and reduce heat loss. The only contact points are where the rivet straps contact both surfaces. I may also add a wood layer on the outside to also reduce some of the heat loss.

First trial run will need to be next week sometime because the oven is to hot right now to do the final fitting

I will be putting something in the handle hole in the center maybe something nautical to appease Al.

Chip
                              Last edited by mrchipster; 09-08-2012, 10:20 AM. Reason: added clarification
                              Chip

Comment

Aye, it's ookin' great, Chip. Can't wait to see the shot of the artisan bread browning inside!

Comment

Working...
                                X