Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chip's 42 in Minnesota

D'Oh!

I was looking at your 'Join Date' of April 2010, not the current dates for your recent posts. My bad.

I like that you've incorporated your oven as part of what looks like a pretty massive landscaping project. No wonder you've still got some detail work to finish. Who wouldn't?

I haven't made it up to Minneapolis for a couple years, but when next I do, I'd love to drop by. I'll keep that in mind as I'm planning my build this winter

Best,

-hoobie

PS - the bread looks fantastic@

Comment

Nice oven...Just finished mine. need to work on door. I was recently in Minneapolis a few weeks ago for a Fierek wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoobie View Post
        PS - the bread looks fantastic@
        And it tasted great too.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

One more simple update, The grass has riz and the San Marzanos are in full production on top of the curved wall. Still need a hand rail going to pool deck and some finer details but I think things are shaping up; just in time for winter.

I added some weatherproof speakers under the eaves so I can listen to music while I work.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by MAD1 View Post
            Nice oven...Just finished mine. need to work on door. I was recently in Minneapolis a few weeks ago for a Fierek wedding.
            Next time you schedule a trip here give me a heads up maybe we can get together. I do not get to Indiana much but if I do I will send you a note.

Take a look at my two doors they work well. The 4 inch one is heavy but it does keep the heat in. I will be building a decorative weather door that will also function as a blast door sometime soon, no insulation just variable vent near the bottom and decorative brass handles is what I have in mind. I picked up an old brass bed and think I will use pieces of that for decorative handles, kind of like brass andirons for a fireplace, but mounted to the door.

We will see how it finally turns out.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

I did some live fire cooking last night of ground beef meat loaf and baby red potatoes cut into quarters. Oven dome about 750 and floor 700.
              Potatoes were drizzled with coconut oil (stands up to heat well), both were cooked on cast iron.

Another great meal.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Yumm! Taters look great.

Any concerns about thermal shock on the cast iron going form zero to seven hundred, as it were. Or did you preheat the cast iron a little?

-hoob

Comment

Originally posted by Hoobie View Post
                  Yumm! Taters look great.

Any concerns about thermal shock on the cast iron going form zero to seven hundred, as it were. Or did you preheat the cast iron a little?

-hoob
                  No preheat. it seems to tolerate it, I think the food tempers the heat change.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Baked some cookies "Snookerdoodles" two nights ago. Did some in the WFO and some in the home oven, Both on cookie sheets with parchment. The ones in the WFO were at about 525 dome temp for 8 minutes and the home gas oven 425 for 12 minutes - per recipe.

The first photo shows them midway thru the baking cycle in the WFO (looking thru my new door).

the next photos are WFO in front and Home oven in back.

Noticeable color and rise difference.

Next Thicker ones are WFO and thinner home oven. The WFO cookies were noticeably cakeier inside and crisper outside.

My wife was concerned about doing cookies and pies in the WFO and now is sold in a big way.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Bread from last night.

Trying to do smaller batches as we cannot eat 7 loaves of bread before they get stale.

Placed a couple of hand fulls of lava rock into a bowl and put it in the oven an hour before bread bake. Put 6 oz of water on the lava rock just after putting in the bread. Oven was a little cool for bread 385F but it still baked up nice.

As you can see I am very happy with the result.

Chip

(Playing with Photo editing program).....
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM.
                      Chip

Comment

The bread is definitely better looking that the baker

Where did you find your bread recipes?

gene

Comment

Chip.
                          You are better looking than I imagined......
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
                            The bread is definitely better looking that the baker

Where did you find your bread recipes?

gene
                            Following is how the bread above was made, with a few other notes.

Basic recipe is one I keep coming back to and have been playing with the timing and techniques. Basic recipe came from General Mills Food Lab

1000 G 13% protein Dakota Maid Bread Flour
                            600 G Water 75 degrees F
                            1tsp Active Dry Yeast
                            2tsp Salt

2 TBS EVOO

Put water in mixer and add yeast
                            mix for 1 minute
                            add Flour that has had salt forked into it to lower direct contact with yeast
                            mix for 1 minute low speed.
                            Add Olive Oil
                            Mix for 4 more minutes - General Mills says 8 minutes but they do not do stretch and folds. or initial 45 minute bench time.

Put into Lightly oiled glass bowl and bench for 45 minutes

Put covered with plastic wrap into fridge, pull out and do stretch and folds 6 times over the next 48 hours.

Take out of fridge and form into bread shape desired.

Place in Couches or Bowls for shape and let rise to double.

Damp mop oven floor 10 minutes before bread load to clean and slightly cool floor.

Slash and put into oven with 6 oz water poured over lava rock (Photo of lava rock bowl attached) and 4 oz water sprayed on dome.

So far it seems that the ideal oven temp about 550F for buns, baguettes and batards. I like 480F or so for boules and larger loaves otherwise I crisp up the outside before the center is done.

I will add a handful of rosemary or cracked wheat sometimes. My wife also likes rosemary on the outside after a drizzle of EVOO and a sprinkle of sea salt. If adding the oil use parchment paper under the baguettes to keep the floor clean.

On another note an interesting thing happens to the glass door when baking bread. The glass will steam up and water will drip down the glass until the door heats up. See picture
                            Chip
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM. Reason: added steamed glass door photo
                            Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip!

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
                                Thanks Chip!
                                Glad to share.

Chip
                                Chip

Comment