• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aceves's Corner 42" Pompeii Build

Where's the grill?
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les,

It's a separate grill altogether that will sit next to the WFO. You can see it in page 2 of my "Corner Install" thread in the Getting Started section. It's a Santa Maria style grill for steaks, tri-tip, chicken, etc.

It's a straight wood fired grill - no propane, no gas. I'll post more pics with the WFO and the WFG sitting next to each other (right now the grill's in the garage).

Aceves
      Last edited by aceves; 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Hi Aceves,

I understand what it is, I was curious as to where the grill is. The pic only has the brick. Seems like that may turn into a mess if the food is above it.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les,

Ah, I get your question... The grill's on top, and per your comment as well as Gianni's comment on my other thread, I might be having second thoughts on the lining of my grill box. You're right, it will make a huge mess. I did think about the drippings when I was lining the bottom, but figured it would be minimal. Now I'm not too sure.

Aceves

Comment

Here's a couple of pics of the door my nephew is welding for me. This is a work in progress but should be done in a couple of weeks (you can see it is spot welded, but the final product will have full welds).

BTW, my nephew is a Marine and is based at Pendleton. I am super-excited that he is doing this project for me (he is trained as a welder). It just adds another dimension to my WFO being family-built!

Thank you, AA, for helping me with the WFO door and thank you very much for your service!! We are proud of you!!

Aceves

Comment

After a few months of inactivity, I'm back on my build full force. I have a honey-do deadline of early May to get as much done for a HUGE pizza party for my daughter's birthday. So it's full speed ahead.

Although I have not been posting, I have been working on the WFO, so expect quite a few pics to be posted in the next few weeks. I want to finish tiling a few things and then paint everything that's stucco.

I've completed my roof, I've stuccoed my enclosure, and I am currently paving my outside kitchen with pavers from HD. Below is a pic of the pavers we've selected. I thought about placing them in a herringbone pattern (similar to my WFO floor), but that was just too much. So I decided on a basket-weave pattern as I'm using 2 sizes of pavers.

I'll post pics of the finished floor once it's done in the next few days.

Almost done!!

Aceves

Comment

Looks like you are rapping it up nicely. The door is awesome!

dusty

Comment

Welcome back Aceves - dying to see the finished product. I got initial inspiration from your dome, maybe I'll get inspiration for the end also - but nothing as elaborate as an outdoor kitchen. I like those tiles - they have a kind of antique look. have a great party.
                  Aidan
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks Dusty and Amac!

Yes, it's coming along very well and I see the finish line! Your projects turned out/are turning out great also!! Keep us updated!!

The tiles do have an antique look. We decided to continue with the aged rock look. Below are some pics of my kitchen so far. The pavers are 90% done. I just need to cut the pavers for the edges and it's a wrap (for the floor, that is).

In the pics, to the right is my firepit. My grill will go in the space between the counters, and the WFO is on the left. To the left of the WFO is another small counter and then a built-in concrete bench.

More pics coming!

Aceves
                    Last edited by aceves; 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Aceves,

Love the pavers and the pattern. Gonna be a great place to hang in the summer and enjoy pizza!
                      John

Comment

Aceves -

It looks great! Heck - if you stand in the right spot (like your first pic) - sure looks like a herringbone pattern to me!

Nice to see you'll be ready for summer (sure felt like it this weekend).

Keep pushing - the finish line is within sight.

Comment

Thanks Gianni & Cheesesteak!

The WFO kitchen is coming out just as I have planned (except for a few tweeks here and there).

I'm planning a few building days this weekend and next week, so I should get a lot more done soon. The pavers are turning out nice. Now to cut the roof tiles (more on that later!!). The finish line is almost here!

Aceves

Comment

Don't finish it too soon, then you will have to start another project. (but yea it's lookin nice)

-Mike

Comment

Hi FB Members,

So I did as much as I could for my daughter's 5th birthday party yesterday (yes, she was born on Cinco de Mayo!!). Didn't get it quite finished all the way, but I'm close (90% done).

I present to you my (almost completed) WFO: Chichen Itza Pizza!!!!

Look at the pictures and you'll see why. Yesterday's party was a HUGE success! We made 40+ pies (I lost count after 30). We had over 60 people, and everyone liked the Aztec/Mayan theme. My daughter made an extra-large pie that baked to perfection. She was super happy!

You can see in the pics that the oven went white-hot after about 2.5 hours. I kept feeding the WFO and it performed like a champ. I'm excited to have more parties! I'm actually thinking of having another party next weekend!!

The theme came from my daughter, and I liked it so much that I went with the theme full force. I had seen other WFOs with square roofs leading up to a point. They always looked like pyramids to me, so I knew it was a possibility to do an Aztec pyramid on top of my oven enclosure. I just went for it and it came out better than I expected!! I'm actually going to make a plaque that says "Chichen Itza Pizza" that will go right in front of the WFO, below that Aztec plaque I got at Old Town San Diego on a recent family trip.

I still have to do my final outer brick arch, and a ledge in front of the oven to rest food items as I take them out of the oven, and paint the actual pyramid. Maybe some wooden doors for my counters. I'll definitely stain and seal my concrete countertops. And I have to add a stainless steel sink I got from IKEA for $10 on my long countertop (not shown) and a stainless steel faucet. And yes, I'm going to line the firepit with additional firebick as well.

I just finished my paver floor this past Thursday.

The holes you see on my WFO enclosure will house outdoor speakers, so I'll be pumping music as I'm cooking pizzas!

More pics below.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you all for your advice and support!!

Aceves
                              Last edited by aceves; 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

These are some pics of the enclosure and pyramid unpainted. I had just completed the pyramid steps using custom-cut firebrick. I have quite a bit of bricks left over (if you followed my thread, you'll remember that I bought over 300 bricks at an amazing price). That's a pic of our first pie a couple of days before the big party. I was testing out the WFO's performance. It came out great! But took a little while to cook. I ironed out the bugs prior to yesterday's party.

Aceves
                                Last edited by aceves; 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X