Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Last Stand 42" Pompeii Oven Built

Nice look-

What is Red Guard? Is the oven sealed? How does that effect the curing process?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      What is Red Guard?
      Its the Chinese Army......
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

RedGard is a paint-on waterproofing elastomeric membrane usually applied over cement backerboard before it is tiled, as in showers and tub surrounds for example. An interesting application on a pizza oven...any idea how much heat it can handle before it starts to degrade?

Comment

I took my time curing the oven for over a week. I followed the curing instructions in the Pompeii guide and did each fire for 6-8 hours and let the oven cool for the next 16 hours or so. I cured the oven two extra days at 400 and 450. I cooked a Turkey in it for Thanksgiving the floor temp was 500 I think it could have been hotter. The turkey took 3 1/2 hours to cook for a 14 lbs. bird, it turned out moist and delicious. On Sunday, I finally got the oven to pizza temp up and burned the ash off the dome and made my first Pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post
            RedGard is a paint-on waterproofing elastomeric membrane usually applied over cement backerboard before it is tiled, as in showers and tub surrounds for example. An interesting application on a pizza oven...any idea how much heat it can handle before it starts to degrade?
            It sounds like this product would be suitable. Check to see if it is. Recommended for use outdoors. Ie. does it have UV protection, if not you can use an acrylic outdoor. Paint over it. As the outside of an oven does not get hot(only warm) there should be no problem with heat. Do not apply sany waterproofing until the oven is completely dry. Ie several cooking fires after the initial drying fires.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by ggoose View Post

I guess it depends on how thick the layer is, but I think it should be renewed every 1 or 2 years.
              Last edited by Gulf; 01-15-2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I'm quite familiar with RedGard, but I would not recommend it as a coating over the outside shell of an oven. While it is indeed waterproof, it is also vapor impermeable. A more appropriate product would be a coating that is waterproof, but vapor permeable. In that same family of products, Laticrete's Liquid Hydroban comes to mind.

I fully understand that WFOs are not closed combustion systems. But given the choice of vapor permeable vs vapor impermeable on the outside of the oven's shell, I recommend the former vs the latter.

With all that written, I missed most of this due to being offline for a bit, so...nice build!
                Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Alexandra View Post

I guess it depends on how thick the layer is, but I think it should be renewed every 1 or 2 years.
                  It depends on a case to case basis (and how exposed the coating is), but I'd rather refer to what the recommends.
                  Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-05-2021, 07:55 AM. Reason: removed direct hyperlink

Comment

Working...
                  X