• Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    You Win!!
    I don't know about that.

Side point....I am going to try and cast some counter-tops with the next couple weeks using a new technique.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Maybe so, but if I posted pictures of my tool hoard, I would crash the site and my cpu would explode....just sayin.
    You Win!!

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    .......They are just sore losers
    Regards dave
    Maybe so, but if I posted pictures of my tool hoard, I would crash the site and my cpu would explode....just sayin.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Well....,like I said way up at the top of the post .

I am old school too. I have a well used spirt level. Though, I did not find much use for it, while building the actual dome .

Some parting advice: If you already have the right type of laser level, it is a great hands free way of working the courses into each side of the arch. But, if you do decide to use it, and it works great for you: Don't post your results
    Gudday
    I though the rules of the game said
    "Who has the most tools wins"
    Gulf, you win
    They are just sore losers
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Well....,like I said way up at the top of the post .
    The type laser level that I used works great. But, it is not worth buying one just for one project.
    I am old school too. I have a well used spirt level. Though, I did not find much use for it, while building the actual dome .

Some parting advice: If you already have the right type of laser level, it is a great hands free way of working the courses into each side of the arch. But, if you do decide to use it, and it works great for you: Don't post your results

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

A trusty 4 ft spirit level has been enough to keep things straight and level up to now around my projects so I reckon I will stick with that and it doesn't need batteries either.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Breadjunkie View Post
    The laser level is a great idea. I forgot I had on of these little Sears magnetic base ones. It would have been good for checking each course as it went up.

Joe
    Just more stuff to make you worry that things arent level......

Leave a comment:

• Breadjunkie
    replied

The laser level is a great idea. I forgot I had on of these little Sears magnetic base ones. It would have been good for checking each course as it went up.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Good grief guys....that is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. A good spirit level is about all that is needed.

To each his own, it just struck me funny seeing lasers being used for this....no offense intended.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by mirassou View Post
    Hey Gulf,
    I have a Spectra Precision LL100 construction type laser level that I use for road grades, pads and such. Thought of that, but I'm not going to bother...just another toy to bog things down. need it just work on mortaring the rows!
    Thanks!
    Youre right,
    I did a search on that one. You would be better off attaching a line level to your IT.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

Hey Gulf,
    I have a Spectra Precision LL100 construction type laser level that I use for road grades, pads and such. Thought of that, but I'm not going to bother...just another toy to bog things down. need it just work on mortaring the rows!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Mirrassou,
    There was some confusion, last year' about what type laser level that I used. Someone, tried it with one of those picture hanging things . They don't work for this particular application. The type laser level that I used works great. But, it is not worth buying one just for one project. But, I find myself using mine a lot more often than I would have ever thought. I copied the origional post (with edits) so hopefully, it won't confuse anyone else. But, it does work to elinminate the "dreaded droop".

Another great (cheaper) option, would be a torpedoe level or a line level combined with the IT, to do the same thing.

I built the inside arch first and tied it in with the first three rows of dome brick. (no soldier course) I was thinking that it would lean in more than it does in order to match the curve of the dome. I felt that it would need the support at the base as it would be standing alone temporarily. From the photo below you can also see that I ended up with 2" of CalSil. (I'm glad that I did not add a 1/2 row of block to the harth stand) The CalSil was given to me and I was also glad to find out that it is great insulation for the oven floor. I will have to extend the vermicrete and CalSil out a little further to include 2 full brick for the flue.

EDIT

I knew from reading many builds that there would be a problem keeping each row level as it tied into the curve of the entry arch. I decided to concentrate to completely finish the dome/arch tie in before completing the remainder of each row. I laid just enough brick of each row to allow me to rack back the next row. This left the back of the dome open to allow me easy access to make these difficult cuts.

I must admit that I did not really think that this really going to be a problem, but I discovered that I too was dropping as much as 3/16 of an inch per row tying into the curve of the arch. Being forewarned by studying other builders projects helped me catch this early.

I then found a use for a tool that I have had for a long time but had not got much use out of. That would be a laser level. It worked like a charm. I set it up just out side of the back of the oven directly opposite of the arch. I found that if I set it up back far enough, its beam shown on both sides of the arch. Using the dome gauge I would set a brick on each side of the arch for the row that I was working on. I then adjusted the level to the height of the bricks. Surprisingly they were always at the same level. This gave me a reference point to work back into the arch.

[IMG][/IMG]

I wished that I had got more pics, I hope this explanation helps.

Someone else may have already be using this technique. If not here it is. There is probably a better way out there, but this worked for me.

I cleared the arch with the 9th row. Didn't get many pics as I was trying to beat the rain last night. I will get more when the weather clears.

Another edit
    I felt like that I needed to go back and clarify what type laser level that I used on the build. Mine is a rotating, self leveling, cross projection laser . It is not the type that you mount to the surface that you are working on like those used for hanging pictures. It has to be set back away from the project. The picture hanger stud finders are useles so I have been made aware. I think that you can tell what brand from the pic.

The further you set it back from the project the wider the beam. If you set it back to far though, bright sunlight will obscure the beam. It can be placed on a stand or (as I did) set on an ever increasing stack of bricks. This is the only laser level that I have ever worked with and did not think about the different types that are available out there.
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-25-2013, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mirassou
    replied

I then found a use for a tool that I have had for a long time but had not got much use out of. That would be a laser level. It worked like a charm. I set it up just out side of the back of the oven directly opposite of the arch. I found that if I set it up back far enough, its beam shown on both sides of the arch. Using the dome gauge I would set a brick on each side of the arch for the row that I was working on. I then adjusted the level to the height of the bricks. Surprisingly they were always at the same level. This gave me a reference point to work back into the arch.
    Gulf, never thought about that...that's a cool idea and I think I'll try it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Gulf

Nice Rack. (i mean the chicken/rib contraption)

Did you make it?

Tex
    I had to look back at my post to make sure that my S.I.L. wasn't in one of the pics .

I picked the "chicken/rib contraption" up at an outlet store down in Gulf Shores Alabama. I wished that I would have picked up a couple more. But, I see that they are in many outlets. Even Bed Bath & Beyond . Just search for Nifty RibRack. The link that I provided was for the manufacturer. Thanks for asking. After looking at their site, they may have few more useful items . Not Spam, although I do like it fried, smoked, grilled, and or BBQ'd.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Gulf

Nice Rack. (i mean the chicken/rib contraption)

Did you make it?

Tex

Leave a comment:

Working...
X