X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    Re: Mississippi 44"

That little contraption in the middle in the above post is a home-made sawdust smoker. It is loaded with saw dust and a few medalions that I cut from a seasoned apple limb.

But, I only left in there, for about 30 minutes before I.............. "chickened out" . I'll be trying it again, someday (probably on some baby backs). But, (remembering a warning that Dave mentioned on KB's thread: It might not be wise to experiment too much today .
    Last edited by Gulf; 11-28-2013, 02:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hey Gulf,

Your attempts at bread are much more successful than my attempts. So bad were mine I would not even post a pic. Happy T day to y' all and to all the others on the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I'll be over after while.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

The rest of the sourdough is out. The hens and the ham went in about 10.

When a southerner says, "Hey ya'll, watch this!" something stupid usually is about to happen .

Last edited by Gulf; 11-28-2013, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Got a late start this morning. It took longer for me to get going this morning, than I expected. 24 degrees . The oven was cleaned out and the 1st batch of bread was in by 8:15. The side walls were @ 435.

Left them in there 30 minutes. The bread in the thin pots were done but, the bread in the cast iron had not browned. I did not preheat it, so it had to back in for about 15 more minutes.

Not exactly pretty, I should have left them in the garage last night to retard the rise. They kind of fell like a cake. Oh well. The second batch of bread is in the oven, and the hens are waiting their turn.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Cleared the dome at 5:30 pm. About 30 minutes later, the fire had burned down to just coals, and I closed the insulated door. Went inside and kneaded six sourdough boules for their second rise.

Tomorrow is going to come early. It is forecasted to be 21 degrees tonight . Thanksgiving is supposed to be "short sleeved" weather in Mississippi ....... Bread, two large hens, and a ham. I am glad, for sure, that the rest of the meal is being prepared inside..............by the womenfolk
    Gudday
    Got down to 19 last night ..... But that C not F. Converts to 66 F.
    I think 21 F converts to about -7 C ,a temp we just never see. I can see that extra insulation is a plus at this time of year for you
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Cleared the dome at 5:30 pm. About 30 minutes later, the fire had burned down to just coals, and I closed the insulated door. Went inside and kneaded six sourdough boules for their second rise.

Tomorrow is going to come early. It is forecasted to be 21 degrees tonight . Thanksgiving is supposed to be "short sleeved" weather in Mississippi ....... Bread, two large hens, and a ham. I am glad, for sure, that the rest of the meal is being prepared inside..............by the womenfolk
    Last edited by Gulf; 11-27-2013, 07:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Dave,
    You probably would have "loved" some of the baked turkeys that I have "endured" over the years .
    So dry that your face sucked in were they?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Gulf
    Another watching with interest . Brining I'm not a big fan of and offer reading the article I realize why , it is a little to moist and the texture does change.
    Regards dave
    Dave,
    You probably would have "loved" some of the baked turkeys that I have "endured" over the years .

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Gulf
    Another watching with interest . Brining I'm not a big fan of and offer reading the article I realize why , it is a little to moist and the texture does change.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Joe,

Going to be watching ya closely. With the only the two of us home, turkeys are just too big for us to cook but chickens are just right so interest to see how a dry brine works.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

We often roast chickens in our little oven, often two at a time. My son in law won't let us cook chicken any other way. They are so moist in the WFO.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

ooh. I have had that roast chicken at Cafe Zuni. It's fantastic. I forgot that they did those in their WFO

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

This morning, I started on the "birds" for Thankgiving. Not turkey but, a couple of large baking hens. I am trying something new, at least new for me. I've never really tried dry brining before, but it sounds interesting. When I did a search for it, I saw that it brought out a lot of discussion. I found enough positive comments on dry brining that I am going to give it a shot. This report from the LA Times is probably what swayed me. This is their recipe that goes along with the video

Again, I'm not doing turkey but, the recipe they are using was adapted from one for a dry brined roast chicken by Cafe Zuni. My two birds have been salted and sealed in freezer bags and have been placed in the fridge. I did add a little brown sugar, ground peppercorn, ground sea salt and a little Citrus Grill seasoning to the kosher salt. Not pictured, is some smoked black pepper that I added.

This dry rub "concoction" may turn out to be a bust! I'll find out Thursday . In case it does,......... maybe........... the ham will turn out OK .
    Last edited by Gulf; 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I don't know about that.

Side point....I am going to try and cast some counter-tops with the next couple weeks using a new technique.
    Cool I be watching with great interest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X