Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississippi 44"

Are you going to have stainless steel pipe around those bolts in the damper? Just thinking about the steel against brick and how it will eat a hole in it, given time.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
      Are you going to have stainless steel pipe around those bolts in the damper? Just thinking about the steel against brick and how it will eat a hole in it, given time.
      They will be inset in SS tubing for bushings. I did'nt have a scrap piece to make them from at the time of the pic. I think you are right. If the bolts were in contact with the brick, I am sure they would eventually saw a larger opening in the brick. Not only would that be a place for flu gases to escape, but the damper could shift from true center and foul opening and closing properly.

I intend to use a larger diameter of pipe to act as bushings between the outer walls of the brick and the threaded portions of the bolts. These will also act as a "stuffing box for insulation. I hope to coil some rope insulation around the bolts, seal the ends with washers and then lock the whole thing in place with two nuts on each side.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I got to work a few minutes on the damper during the week and a little while this afternoon. I came up with something that I am sure will raise some eyebrows with the traditionalists. This damper type is a little out of the norm any way and I am exploring new territory (at least for me). I figured that the damper would be difficult to build and assemble true and square, up on the build. I had done some research for another thread (I can?t seem to find it the moment) about tiles. It was about using alternatives for pizza stones (I think).

Anyway, porcelain tile seemed to be the hottest fired, hardest, ?bestest? tile available. I chose to make a damper sandwich (between two layers of porcelain) and build the damper near the saws and on a flat stable surface (in this case my table saw). This would allow me to fab the damper on the ground and then place it as one unit on the build. I could not find unglazed porcelain so I bought a couple of tiles from HD (they sell them individually). I cut the tiles outside and inside dimensions on my cheep tile saw. I used the wet saw to remove the glaze from the tiles.

It was easier than I thought. I then assembled the damper in the shed and later placed it up on the build.
        Laku, this a pic of the bushings, they are floated above the oversized holes in the firebrick by setting the damper in a fully closed position.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I then assembled the damper in the shed and later placed it up on the build.

I will admit that I had originally decided to have the the pins face front to back (one to be be adjustable from the front above the upper mantle piece. After placeing the damper sandwich I discovered that I had placed it side to side. At east this will allow me to have an alternitive point of access should one of them fail.

It did however, screw up my joints! Maybe the porcelain tiles will make up for the bond.

I intend to go another 24? above the damper with firebrick laid on its side. I will stop there, finish the build, and fire this puppy until I am sure that there are no repercussions from the materials used before extending the chimney.
          I will keep you informed (for better or worse).

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz
            What is the thinking behind making a ceramic sandwich, and how are you going to glue it?
            Done did it Al, for better or worse. I used "Firerock" .

Comment

Deleted my post after I saw your last damper post with pics.....
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                Deleted my post after I saw your last damper post with pics.....
                Sorry Al,
                I was a liitle slow in posting due to the limited amount of pics for post criteria. By the way, Thank's for the free book. I don't know if I can eat anything cooked from a sheep but if "WalleyWorld" sells it I promise you that I will try it

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  I don't know if I can eat anything cooked from a sheep
                  Ok, now Im intrigued as to why?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      Ok, now Im intrigued as to why?
                      I can't really explain it Al.
                      I grew up eating things that make would many people puke IE: chitterlings, squirrel heads , catfish eggs' frog legs etc.. The list goes on. I had never eaten coon (raccoon). I was at work one Sunday in a penitentiary in MS. and the Lt. brought in a coon for the inmates to cook. They all said it was great and cooked to perfection (paraphrased) I took one bight and it I seemed like forever before I was able to swallow. Many years later me and the wife were on a cruise and I took a slice of "leg o' lamb" from the buffet. It was a little pink in the middle. Just the way I love cow (beef). I had the same experience. I am not sure if it is what a person was raised to eat or not the correct preparation of the dish which figures into this equation. A similar experience was with tame rabbit. Those which are pen raised for human consumption. I had eaten wild rabbit all of my life. I had seen these bunnies all different colors in my brother-in-laws pens. When they were placed in front of me (fried to perfection) I could not eat. I will say this though. I am sure that if I had been truly hungry on each of these occasions it would have had a different outcome.
                      Last edited by Gulf; 01-29-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

It was threatening to rain today, so I planned (with what time I had) to work on the oven around that. I set a set some speed poles to take the chimney 24" above the damper assembley. I cut and dry stacked another five rows.
                        Maybe tomorrow

Comment

Looking great! Sure has been a mild winter in the South.

Two questions...
                          I see a layer of cured mortar (3/8" thick or so) on the top layer. Why did you do that? How thick is the mortar to bond the next layer of brick?
                          I'm not to my chimney yet but want to benefit from others.
                          Thanks,
                          Jeff
                          Jeff
                          My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaIdiot View Post
                            Looking great! Sure has been a mild winter in the South.

Two questions...
                            I see a layer of cured mortar (3/8" thick or so) on the top layer. Why did you do that? How thick is the mortar to bond the next layer of brick?
                            I'm not to my chimney yet but want to benefit from others.
                            Thanks,
                            Jeff
                            Thank's Jeff,
                            I think you are referring to what I call my damper sandwich. If so, what looks like mortor is actually a porcelain tile which has had the glazing ground off for better bonding.

PS: I have been following your build. Looks great! I also did an arched entry under the hearth. I haven't wrecked the forms yet to see how it turned out, but that will be happening soon I think
                            Last edited by Gulf; 02-05-2012, 05:23 PM. Reason: PS:

Comment

I finished the runs above the damper today. I started out by placing some card board and a layer of sand to protect the damper below from the inevitable droppings.
                              Sorry about the blurry pic. It was the only on I took
                              I had figured enough room to lay the supports for the cap. Had them set and cleaned. I knocked two of them loose while taking down the speed poles though

I took them all down and will strap the speed poles to the corners minus the spacer board at the top, the next time that I get to play.

Comment

I have prebuilt a cap using the same principle as the damper sandwich

It is in two sections, allowing me to build the thing in the shed and then set it in place on the scaffold. It is a lot easier when you are close to the saws saving many climbs up and down form the scaffold.

I had hoped to get a pic of this thing setting on top of the chimney today. But here it is on the table saw for now
                                EDIT: They were made from the splits left over from the flu transition.
                                Last edited by Gulf; 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X