X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mississippi 44"

Got the cap set this morning. I took a pic late this evening,

after the scaffold was took down.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Its a work of art, you could set a light in the top and become a lighthouse....
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I then cleaned out the fireplace and installed the inner ceramic rope for the heatbreak between the oven arch and the inner fireplace arch.

The 3/4" rope is glued into place and sealed. I wished that this stuff came in gray, but it is black. It looks like a soar thumb but I hope that the fibers are sealed away from the cooking area.

I don't know if you can tell from the pic, but the 1/4"X1" ceramic rope (between the oven floor and the fireplace floor) ends about 1/4" below the surface. Hopefully, the ash will fill this in and seal it also. Maybe by the time all the curing fires are done, all the carcinogenic hydrocarbons etc. will have burnded off. If not I promise you that if any of my babies are borned naked, ya'll will be the first to know
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          you could set a light in the top and become a lighthouse....
          Thanks’ Al,
          After a few drinks, I looked at this thing and thought about putting a pyramid on top (like those that are on top of obelisks)
          The light house would tie it all in a lot better with the Margaritaville theme
          Last edited by Gulf; 02-12-2012, 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Thanks? Al,
            After a few drinks, I looked at this thing and thought about putting a pyramid on top (like those that are on top of obelisks)
            You sound as silly as I am.....
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It looks great. I would have left out the mastic and just dry packed the rope in, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                It looks great. I would have left out the mastic and just dry packed the rope in, though.
                Thanks' T,
                I'll probably do that between the outer fireplace and decorative arches.

Comment

Dude, you should do the chimney. Awesome job!
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Thanks? Tu,
                    It remains to be seen how the design will work though. I see that you are going with what looks to be 8" stainless pipe. I wanted to go with that. I had a lead on some before I started the build but it fell thru. It was 1/16th? single wall pipe. I was going to get galvanized from HD and insulate the outer two layers. When that lead fell thru, (I didn't want to pay the price the price for triple wall 8") I then settled on continuing up another two feet with brick. And so begat the monster

I have since came across some double wall (stainless inside galvanized outside) at a very reasonable price. If I had of found that sooner the "Mayan ruins" would look a lot different today. If I add a few more feet in height for any reason it will be with that piping.

Comment

• Re: Mississippi 44"

I began the work on the landing. I had to lay a few old brick in order to do this. After a couple of brick, It dawned on me that I was still using the 2'" trial. I think that I have gotten used to it.

Some of these will be visible underneath the arched landing.

I began working the project with some 1/8th" plywood, but had to tear that out and spring for some masonite from Lowes. It bends a heck of a lot tighter without breaking.

I used the stick (guage) to scribe the compound curves.

Comment

This is a pic of the 45's to transition from the corbels to the risers which will support the counter top (landing).

After this pic, I moved the 45's back in even with the corbels. The 2Xby in the middle is half the distance of the curve. Kind of hard to tell in the pic but it sets the tension on the upward curve. The two 2Xby's on the right are the same height and are set 1 and 1/2"s below the top of the form.

The finished form with a pic of one of the corbels formed in with a Styrofoam inset to frame a (in the near future to be revealed) medallion.

Even after a few cold ones I can still see that I am going to have set aside a day to tidy up the job site a little bit. But in the words of one of the world?s greatest living philosophers (Jeff Foxworthy): "If you cut your grass and discover a car that you forgot that you owned, you might be a redneck"

Comment

Jumped back around to the back side of the heatbreak between the arches.

Lead with a 1/2" rope to fill the inside corner and then followed up with another 3/4" rope to finnish up.
                          All packed and ready to seal.

All sealed up.

Comment

I like what you did with the rope and sealant....Wish I had thought of that
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Used one of the most dinged up CalSils boards to form a collar for the heatbreak.

I took the form for the arch, scribed 4" to allow for the brick and 3" for the width of the collar and cut it to fit.
                              I used my jig saw on the slowest setting, worked up wind of the saw, wore a dust mask and a bandana. And, I'll still probably end up as the poster child for CalSilthelioma
                              I intend to butter it in with a 5to1 mix of fine vermicrete, just to seal it to the two arches.
                              My reasoning for the CalSil collar":
                              1. The distance between the dome and the chimney was only 2"'s at the bottom.
                              2. The CalSill was free

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                                I like what you did with the rope and sealant....Wish I had thought of that
                                Thank's Lee,
                                The seal from the inside made a little of a mess, but I was able to clean it up a little when it dried.

Comment

Working...
                                X