Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Sharkey,
    On polished countertops, You have probably already done your research but, just in case: Nic The Landscaper, Neil2 and splatgirl come in to mind. From the work and postings of these (and probably others) I have been looking at YouTube. Search Buddy Rhodes and Fu Tung Chen.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Started out to do a roof over, ended up trying to install french drains around the stand. Note: Do not build into a retaining wall! It took one whole day to dig it out and install the felt, extra plastic, and drains. I also dug and poured a reinforced concrete pad in each corner for support posts.

The best way to drain this area is was to exit under the retaining wall on the left side of the oven stand. I will have to continue this ditch later and exit about 25 feet in a flower bed or under the deck.
      (had a pic for here but can't find it)
      Edit: here it is.

Any way, I went to the county barn to get a load of washed gravel in my pickup for the french drains, but they were out. I was going to set the posts for the roof over first anyway. I just wasn't expecting to have to build the "roof over" over an open ditch.
      Here is the beginnings of my roof over.

It will allow me to have a the head room to finnish the dome in an igloo for looks and bragging rights (not many pompei ovens in my area, just mine ) and still have a water tight build.
      Last edited by Gulf; 03-07-2012, 07:39 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Completed the "roof over" the night before last, just in time for the rains, put the last screw in the ridge cap by feel. It was getting dark. Yesterday (raining) I bought 3 boxes of 1" ceramic fiber insulation (1"X24"X300"). I got them from Distribution International in Jackson, MS. $62.00 a box plus taxes.
        Today, I waisted 2 and 1/2 hours looking for washed gravel in a couple of other beats in my county. I spotted a pile which is not owned by the county, but I will have to get up early tomorrow and will take the 5th admendment from here on out . I finnished the cladding on the dome and cleaned enough brick to get me thru at least tomorrow. I'll be working on the decorative arch while the dome gets a little drying time. First thing though, I will try and get that washed gravel for the french drain .

Comment

A pic of the finnished cladding under the roof over.

Still working over an open ditch. I guess that I am going to have buy a load of washed gravel.
          I managed to set up some speed poles, clean some brick, rework the arch template, and cut some arch bricks. The template was used for the fire place arches. I added 6 bands of thin masonite to create a 1" reveal for the outer door.

I cut and dry stacked as far as I could go. I have about 1 or maybe 3 to many arch bricks cut, but that will allow me to cull and sort.
          The arch bricks and the face bricks of the decorative face will be my last last heat break.

The arch bricks will have a 1/2" gap between them and the firebrick of the chimney. They are beveled back to 1". The face bricks are notched back 1". This should give room for about 1 and 1/2" of vermicrete between the two. As the chimney tapers in I indend to have at least a full 2" of insulation between the firebrick and the face brick as they go thru the roof.

Comment

Gulf,

I just saw your customed Fleur de lis Keystone on your Picasso Web Album. Awesome Job! Can you make one for me? LOL Just kidding.....well, not really...hehe
            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
              Gulf,

I just saw your customed Fleur de lis Keystone on your Picasso Web Album. Awesome Job! Can you make one for me? LOL Just kidding.....well, not really...hehe
              It's not hard to do. With the skills that I recognize that you have, you can do better than that . Actually, I did not think that anyone would notice it on the web album. I was uploading pics and was going to explain later .

Comment

I layed the face brick up to a point where I could clear the fireplace. I intend to surround the firebrick chimney with facebrick. I will have an insulation space between the two. My intentions are to pour 5 to 1 vermicrete in all voids between the the fire brick and facebrick. To do this I would have to transfer the weight of the facebrick over the dome side of the chimney to the outside walls. This is what I came up with:

This drawing is by no means true to scale but should help explain the basic concept. Gray areas in the drawing are 6" X 3 and 1/2" reinforced concrete lintels. The ends of each will also serve as corbels for concrete shelves.

I poured the two that you see in the forgeround wrong. They are available for free to a good home. Just pay shipping and handling . I'll not even try to explain that brain fart .

Comment

Here are the correct ones:

A loss of a week and 2 sacks of sakcrete .
                  This is the how it turned out:

Comment

This is view of the back and how I intend to transfer the weight.

It is hard to tell from this pic but there is 7/8" of clearance between the lintel and the firebrick. I am thinking about setting up the tablesaw outside and ripping some CalSil to put between the two.

I will cut and place a form from the brick to the edge of heatbreak ring. The void will be poured with vermicrete. It will then tie in to the 4" of vermicrete which will be poured on top of the 3" of ceramic fiber for the dome.
                    This area will be faced with the same treatment as the dome. That to be revealed later .
                    Also, the piss poor bond at the bottom will be hidden by an outside row of brick and a concrete ledge .

Comment

6 to 1 perlcrete has enough compressive strength to support the chimney, plus it insulates. That is how I carried the load. I like yours though, I appreciate intricacy.

Comment

I saw this basic concept on this forum somewhere but for the life of me I can't seem to find it again.

The vermicrete guage is not set to height in this pic that I took while trial fitting. It is cut for a 7" clearance. 3" for the Ceramic Fiber and 4" of V-Crete.
                        I made a cradle for the support pipe to set in on top of the dome out of mortar.

The socket in the pic is the same diameter of the 5/8" support rod which also anchors to the roof over. I removed it just before the mortar completely set.
                        I will take the guage down to place the ceramic fiber. There will be a small hole in the fiber to patch and a little more cladding at the very apex to be left in place.
                        Where I work will start it's anual "outage" this week and I will not be able to work on the dome for about a month. There goes the "spring" deadline .

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          6 to 1 perlcrete has enough compressive strength to support the chimney, plus it insulates. That is how I carried the load. I like yours though, I appreciate intricacy.
                          Thank's T,
                          Since I think that I have addressed most of the load bearing I will will consider lightening up on the V-Crete to increase the insuation factor.
                          Last edited by Gulf; 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Gulf, what a great job you have done, looking beautiful.
                            "You can tell a dutchman,
                            but you can't tell him much"

Comment

This build has turned into an epic main feature.....well done with the build.....
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Whoa.. that's just gorgeous!

Comment

Working...
                                X