Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Thanks Russell,
    The thin brick were a must since my landing/fireplace is so deep. The last computer tracking model for Isaac doesn't look to good for Tu in New Orleans.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Thanks Russell,
      The thin brick were a must since my landing/fireplace is so deep. The last computer tracking model for Isaac doesn't look to good for Tu in New Orleans.
      Nah, it is not lookin' too pretty. How far are you from the gulf? MS may get hard as well since there are usually more damage on the right side of the hurricane.
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

About 75 miles from the Mississippi gulf coast, but only about 60 miles from Mobile Alabama. No flooding issues to deal with, just lots of trees.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gudday
          News here is issac is now a hurricane and just about to cross the coast
          Your in our thoughts and prayers

Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thank You very much Dave for the prayers.
            We came out without a scratch. We were on the eastern edge of the storm, inland, and on high ground. Lots of rain and thunderstorms but no damage. My family had several scares due to tornado warnings but the saferoom I built after Katrina was a comfort to me knowing that they could duck in there in a moments notice. I was at work for most of it.
            I would love to here from Tu. New Orleans took a direct hit. I don't think that I need to explain more.

Comment

Glad to hear that.
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I am all good. Thanks for the prayer.

Who DAT?
                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                  I am all good. Thanks for the prayer.
                  Who DAT?
                  That is great! news ! Maybe, "Bounty Season" will take the edge off again .
                  You Dat! .........I Dat! .......... We Dat! .

Comment

Gudday
                    well thats great news!

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Good to hear that you and yours in New Orleans made it through. The surrounding region sounds like it was battered. Our prayers are with them as well.

Chris

Comment

It's been kind of "hit and miss" lately, working on the oven. Weather, Work, and other resposibilities have limited my time. In the last few weeks, I have installed a layer of 1/2" construction cloth over the vcrete layer of the dome.

I installed it with 3/8" spacers to help it "ride" in the middle of the stucco layer. That is what I have see done on the flat walls of houses, to reduce cracking, and hope that it works on this complex curve as well. Spacers are usually nailed in on flat surfaces. I had to resort to 1 and 1/2" roofing screws. Nails don't hold very well in vcrete. To releive the pressure on fitting the dome I started out by wrapping one pass of wire (24") high around the the full circumfrance at the base of the dome. I used the natural curve of the wire to my advantage. Using the spacers and the screws, I attached it securely at the base. I then slit the wire @ about 1 foot centers down to the where the curve flattend out on my dome. That is about 4 to 6 inches. This worked great to fit the wire. On the splices of this run, I added a 2" piece of wire to overlap splices.
                        For the next two runs I cut the wire into wedge shapes.

The wedges were 12" at the bottom and 8" at the top. I just overlapped the wire about 2" for the next two runs, with a small cap of wire for the top (slit where needed).
                        I intend to work the stucco around the screws, remove them after the first layer is simi set and then fill in the areas where the screws were. I will wait until after curing to add this layer of cladding. The low humidity of this fall weather should help also.
                        I will be attaching brick spilts to this layer of cladding later.

Comment

I painted the stand with DryLock. I'm still wating on a cheap source of washed gravel for the french drain.

I also painted the inside of the wood (tool) storage with one coat of this stuff.

Comment

A fine looking dome! I am curious as to whether the metal in the fabric will heat up and expand such that it might cause cracks rather than prevent them...though since your wire fabric is outside of the insulation the heat reaching it will probably be minimal. Have you fired your dome to pizza temp and measured the exterior temperature?

gene

Comment

With Aidan, Tracey, and Russell completing there polished concrete counters, I just had to spend a little time on mine today. This is what I came up with for my counter.

It is not what I origionally envisioned, but I think that it will look ok.
                              Here is the whole "mess" of counters, mantles, and ledges almost ready for concrete.

Comment

Gulf,

Holy @$$&*, your form work is so detailed and complex. Gonna be nice..........BTW nice wire work on dome for stucco.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X