Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Why did you chose the square metal wire vs lathe vs chicken wire for your stucco reinforcement. Mulling over what to do for mine.
    I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Oh I see, more brick work for the Queen, so you are doing split bricks aroung the dome. Shhss, it is becoming a monument! I do not have v-crete planned over the insulation, just a scratch, brown and top coat stucco planned.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I had origionally thought about buying some splits, but I still have a lot of old whole brick still. I did a few test cuts with the HF saw, it's easy to get four 1/2 splits out of each brick.

The vcrete just helped me to get the shape back that I wanted. I did a real lumpy job on the blanket. Although, it probably did not hurt to have a little more insulation .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I'm looking forward to seeing your attractive dark slurry.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            I'm not too sure how good of a reinforcement that chicken wire is. Also, it and lathe are not that easy to form into a complex curve. (Still trying to keep that simi-perfect sphere thing going) . I just think that the mesh is a better option in my particular case. I'm not saying that mesh is easy to work with either but, with enough cuts, at least "dooable". I don't know that reinforcement is even needed for stucco directly over vcrete. What I am attempting is to make only a thick scratch and brown coat layer to attach split brick.
            Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.

Comment

David,
              I don't know how attractive it is, but it did help tone down at least some of those bright UA colors .

The one on the left is the water only test. So far, I like the liquid acrylic fortifier only sample.

I wet sanded them this evening with automotive wet sand paper (by hand). I will be adjusting colors and waiting until these samples dry fully. I want to see how they look once coated with sealer.
              One funny thing I noticed: In the top left hand corner of each sample is a fern like leaf that I pulled from the same plant growing in my uncut yard. The one in the water only sample kept it's shape. The one in the acrylic only sample withered immediately once it was covered with concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                Trying to get any metal reinforcing over a compound curve smoothly takes a long time. I gave up on it ages ago in preference to reinforcing fibres added to the mix, over a web of thin wire woven over the dome.
                Very good point David,
                Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers

Comment

wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.

Comment

Very good point David,
                    Most of my knowledge is from "ages ago" . By reading this, Maybe someone else will use the fibers in a simular situation. I have only just in the last couple of days ran across the premixed stucco with fibers. But, I already had my wire in place .

Last edited by Gulf; 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM. Reason: multiple post

Comment

wow they"re stunning. You could probably go even darker with the black fill for more contrast.
                      Thank's David,
                      Sorry about the double post. I have tried three times to delete that second sob.
                      I plan to make two more sample pours. I am hoping to get a little more believable earth tone colors, a little better job on the veining, and also a darker slurry fill. I hope .

Comment

Gulf,
                        Liking the fern imprints, attractive is what they say, "eye of the beholder". Interested in what follows on the fibers in stucco.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          Gulf,
                          Liking the fern imprints, attractive is what they say, "eye of the beholder". Interested in what follows on the fibers in stucco.
                          Thank's Russell,

The fibers in stucco will have to wait for someone else to try, it is too late for me . Though, we may have to wait a little longer until it meets the "best practices" coefficient .

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                            Hi Joe,

I really like where your heading with those samples they look great, also like the leaves they look like fossils.
                            Joe, can I ask what is the material that you are using and what are the tints used to get those colors and how does the dark slurry stick?
                            Thank's Doug,
                            I was looking for the fossil look. I have the shells and leaves figured out, I'm still working on the fish .

Comment

You can put the fibers in your countertops too, they help a lot. They do not get all furry like they used to when they were glass. I assume you are using a Buddy Rhodes white pre-mix? Most pigments are formulated for grey cement, so using them in white makes them very bright. You can either reduce the quantity of pigment (which goes pastel) or add a brown, either reddish or green as a toner.

Those samples look great, but I will disagree with David and say that the slurry mix should be lighter and closer in color to one of the field colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                You can put the fibers in your countertops too, they help a lot. They do not get all furry like they used to when they were glass. I assume you are using a Buddy Rhodes white pre-mix? Most pigments are formulated for grey cement, so using them in white makes them very bright. You can either reduce the quantity of pigment (which goes pastel) or add a brown, either reddish or green as a toner.

Those samples look great, but I will disagree with David and say that the slurry mix should be lighter and closer in color to one of the field colors.
                                Each to his own, Tom. I live in the tropics and we like strong colours and contrast. When I go "home" to my birthplace, Melbourne, some 2500 Km south, I'm struck with how dull everything is, grey buildings, grey suits, grey skies and very little colour in the clothing or the homes in which people live. I think taste in these matters has a lot to do with climate. Hawaiian shirts for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X