Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but what about the trapped water vapour and condesation?

I love the way that your creating all these new methods of concreting. The polished countertops with colours and glass, or assorted aggregates is amazing! A lot of man hours to achieve though?

Comment

Before slurry looks like some weird giant gingerbread experiment
      Laku,
      Gingerbread ain't exactly the substance that came to my mind when I first took them out of the forms .

Russell,
      As Dennis was saying the colors will pop back out, but hopefully a little more subdued due to all the air pockets in the surface layer which will fill with the off white slurry.

Dennis,
      A stain of some kind might work but, I think that I saw somewhere that an acrylic fortifier like I used will inhibit an acid stain from working properly.

Are you part Aboriginal? It looks like their art work....
      Kind of hard to tell with any certainty, .......I live in the melting pot

I notice you ended up with the attractive dark slurry.
      David.
      Well, maybe. I am experimenting on a few shelves that will mostly be inconspicuous. I am going to give them the full treatment though, just for practice.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf/Al,

I like the Aboriginal art comparison, when I visited that end of the world a year ago I brought back native and local art for the house and Al is right, the counters have the Aboriginal look. Consider the counters fine collectable art!
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
          Yeah, yeah, yeah...but what about the trapped water vapour and condesation?

I love the way that your creating all these new methods of concreting. The polished countertops with colours and glass, or assorted aggregates is amazing! A lot of man hours to achieve though?
          Thank's Danno,
          I have a 2 and 5/8" opening at the apex of my domes vcrete layer. That is approximately the size of a 16 ounce budweiser can .

It forms an opening through the vcrete layer to the fiber insulation layer. This opening will also be filled with ceramic fiber insulation. I will use this opening to help relieve any remaining excess moisture during the final curing stages. I will eventually cover the vcrete and a layer of stucco with split brick. At that time I will masonry in a 2" threaded sleeve into the upper 2" of this opening. At that time I will install this breather.

It is filled with a filter medium which traps moisture from re-entering a heated space during it's cool down phase. (even dry air expands when heated and contracts when cooled) I don't want to rely on the osmosis slow porousity of any masonry to relieve these pressures. This breather is not a solution, it is just an experiment. If it doesn't seem to work a 2" plug can be inserted in the sleeve. But, I think that a dessicant filter could be reinstalled after a period of oven unuse or suspected moisture build up. Atleast during the cool down phase after a refiring.
          Just Sayin'.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Gulf/Al,

I like the Aboriginal art comparison, when I visited that end of the world a year ago I brought back native and local art for the house and Al is right, the counters have the Aboriginal look. Consider the counters fine collectable art!
            Russell, You could have posted this sooner! .

Comment

This is an interesting theory Gulf, and its amazing how i didn't think of it sooner.
              Your valve idea seems like it'd really be a worthwhile investment. Especially for those ovens in areas with a wider climactic zone. If i'm correct, an oven used in lower temperatures would be more likely to encounter condensation problems during the cooling period from firing?
              I'm now looking into a small de-humidifier, which i can set up inside the oven with the door shut. This could be the first stage of seasoning after a wet winter, perhaps?
              With the idea being to draw moisture into the oven, through the bricks and remove it rather than create pressures of expanding vapours trying to escape outwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
                If i'm correct, an oven used in lower temperatures would be more likely to encounter condensation problems during the cooling period from firing?
                As I understand it the condensation only happens when a surface is cooler than its surroundings. In other words almost never in an wfo.. Well maybe in summers if it has been unused for long.

I certainly haven't noticed any problems with it during winter or summer cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
                  As I understand it the condensation only happens when a surface is cooler than its surroundings. In other words almost never in an wfo.. Well maybe in summers if it has been unused for long.

I certainly haven't noticed any problems with it during winter or summer cooking.
                  Laku,
                  Venting may not be an issue for the majority of the WFO owners on this group. We as a group, cover the globe and all climates. Those of us who live in subtropical climates have to contend with temperature extremes (coupled with high humidity) on a daily basis. It is not unusual for us in the winter to have a morning temp of below freezing and an afternoon temp in the short shirt sleeve range. The air will warm much faster than masonry. Venting may not even be an issue for WFO's, any where. But, it is just my opinion that, for those of us who live in such climates: that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it .

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    Laku,
                    Venting may not be an issue for the majority of the WFO owners on this group. We as a group, cover the globe and all climates. Those of us who live in subtropical climates have to contend with temperature extremes (coupled with high humidity) on a daily basis. It is not unusual for us in the winter to have a morning temp of below freezing and an afternoon temp in the short shirt sleeve range. The air will warm much faster than masonry. Venting may not even be an issue for WFO's, any where. But, it is just my opinion that, for those of us who live in such climates: that it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it .

True. Though I guess the insulation should help out in balancing that.

I guess my response was mostly aimed for us in the northern climes. Britain should be pretty close, if some what warmer than Finland.

Comment

Hi Gulf,

Like you I live in the subtropic, and also like you we have a rainy season plus the dreaded typhoon(hurricane by another name). My problem with all of the vent that I have seen are, jury rigged, a void with some type of mesh grill. Proper venting is not the same for all situations. In your area and mine, houses has vents underneath them to insure a constant flow of air to help prevent, mold, mildew and rot. Look at most home ovens, their venting are controlled by a fan, which draws moisture, oils, smoke and heat up and out of the house. I think what you HAVE, maybe causing problems that you don't NEED.

Comment

I think what you HAVE, maybe causing problems that you don't NEED.
                        Laurentius,
                        Thank's for your opinion. I do value all the experience on this forum. At any point in time that I decide that the insulation space and all covered masonry are dry, the breather can be removed and a threaded plug inserted.

I haven't heard of any of the vented ovens on this site, attributing any problems, to the venting. If mine turns out to be a FUBAR, everyone can learn by my mistakes .

Comment

It might even whistle!

Comment

Enough of this venting nonsense - I want to see post polishing pictures of those countertops!

And if you don't light that oven soon, I'm gonna start calling it the "Garage Queen" (car buffs will get the reference)
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              Enough of this venting nonsense - I want to see post polishing pictures of those countertops!

And if you don't light that oven soon, I'm gonna start calling it the "Garage Queen" (car buffs will get the reference)

Yeah, I second that!!! You have more patience than a saint! Time to Fire up dude!
                              Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM.
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally Posted by deejayoh

We have a simular term for a bike like that: "Trailor Queen" .

Origionally Posted by Tu
                                Yeah, I second that!!! You have more patience than a saint! Time to Fire up dude!
                                OK guys, I'll try to get off of my rump and make some sign this weekend . I've got two days off and a crapload of charcoal. Maybe I can keep her hot for about 48 hours using KD's method.

I worked out off of "graveyard" this morning. I got up around lunch time and started working on the mess that will mostly hide. I will be switching back to the origional colors and veining.

I gained some experience though. Using the smooth glass pane chips, prefilling, and sanding the shells works great with this method. It doesn't take a lot of grinding to get a reveal. I used course emory cloth and a sanding block to wet sand these before switching to 400 grit. It took about an hour to get them to this stage.

I'm not sure but, I think that a pretty good result could be achieved with wet sanding alone.
                                Between chimney lighting charcoal and keeping the oven hot around the clock this weekend I hope to pour the landing and mantle pieces. I may even use some of that heat to cook something.
                                Last edited by Gulf; 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X