Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Anywhere that can wick heat away into the concrete slab needs to be insulated so you use less firewood and retain more heat.
    On the same note, I am planning a stainless steel entryway floor (like Mr Chipster's). Given that I will employ a thermal break where there is minimal contact between the entryway floor/oven floor and entryway arch to the dome's inner arch, I am clueless as to which mode of thinking is most efficient:

1) Instead of firebrick, place insulation under the stainless in order to reduce residual heat loss through the entryway contact (more mass means more volume to absorb residual dome heat

2) Keep the firebrick under the entryway stainless thinking that heat transfer is partially a function of the difference of the temperature of the two entities swapping heat and that a hot entryway (heated from exhaust) will present less of a temp variance and steal less heat from the dome (provided there is a second outer door).

I guess I could insulate the perimeter of the stainless floor and leave a firebrick 'island' in the middle of it and accomplish the best of both worlds. Does this sound realistic?
    John

Comment

Re: Build the wall of the dome outside the FB Board.

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
      1) Instead of firebrick, place insulation under the stainless in order to reduce residual heat loss through the entryway contact (more mass means more volume to absorb residual dome heat
      This would be the best option imo, I have granite in my entryway with a 10mm thermal break between the oven hearth and it still gets warm even with insulation underneath.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
      X