Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Wow. That looks like it will hold up to a Hurricane!
    Well, that is the plan and hopefully it could withstand a cat 5 hurricane wind force.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Tu,
      If that enclosure doesn't make it, that will be the least of your worries .
      Definitely looking great!.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Nice , where did you get the soffit & metal studs at ? I havent got to that stage yet but am looking for where to get the correct gauge studs . I convinced my wife the WFO was a good investment if we ever get another KATRINA . 3 weeks without electricity here from that one

Comment

Originally posted by DTHERR View Post
          Nice , where did you get the soffit & metal studs at ? I havent got to that stage yet but am looking for where to get the correct gauge studs . I convinced my wife the WFO was a good investment if we ever get another KATRINA . 3 weeks without electricity here from that one

I brought my metal track and stud from supplier that just so happen to have locations in New Orleans, LA and Gulfport, MS,. Here is a link for Interior Exterior Building Supply (InEx). Interior Exterior Building Supply

They stocked stud/track between 16 gauge to 24 gauge. I ended up using 20 gauge for my enclosure. In addition, they also sell g90 stud/track for exterior purpose because g90 has additional layers of galvanized coat for extra protection which is what I have as well. You have to special order the g90.

Lowes has 24 gauge stud but I thought it would be too weak for my enclosure because I am planning to put s-clay mission tile roof on it. However, if you are using asphalt shingle, I think 24 gauge should be do the job. Come to think about it, I think I could of use 24 gauge if I place the studs closer together.

I brought Union jack design aluminum sheet from Lowes Shop M-D Building Products Union Jack Aluminum Sheet at Lowes.com and I use a cut it with a snips to size to make the vent for soffit.
          Last edited by banhxeo76; 06-18-2012, 06:43 AM.
          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

I hope we both dodge this bullet . Tropical storm Debby.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Dodge a bullet indeed. We didn't even get a single drop this past weekend but it was very hot and humid. Dog days are here.
              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu,

I watched you build from day one and decided to come back for a refresher. I am going to use your idea of placing the anchor brick on the next course since I have been fighting gravity on my last course 7. It is good to draw on other's experiences. Haven't seen much on the cooking front from you lately??
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell,

Setting an anchor brick to definitely help with movement problem on the higher course. I have been cooking but I keep on forgetting to take picture. Can't wait for football season when the weather get nicer becasue it is hot and humid down in nawlins. Need to finish on my enclosured for my WFO. I just need to commit to a plan and move forward.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

I finally see some cracks on my WFO. The cracks are in vent/chimney area of the WFO. I believe it has to do with the fact that water got to the area of the vent that is holding the anchor plate and rain water was able go through the chimney pipe because I didn't have a chimney cap yet. There was a couple of time when it was pouring outside while I was using the WFO. I didn't noticed the crack until I looked down from the top of the chimney yesterday. It is a bummer. I just want to fully disclose the progress of my WFO build and do my of walk (type) of shame on this forum. I will just leave the cracks as is for now and keep my eyes on it.

I need to stop cooking and finish up on the enclosure and get a chimney cap soon.
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu,

I am dreading the day too when I see my first crack in my build. Is it like getting your first door ding on your new car, after the second and third you don't care anymore??
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

If cracks are something to be ashamed of we all have a problem. Every oven cracks.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hello Banhxeo76,

Congrats on building your pizza oven. Thank you for posting your progress, we look forward to seeing the finished project.

Amber

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                            I need to stop cooking and finish up on the enclosure and get a chimney cap soon.
                            If you are looking to put on a temporary cap on your chimney you may want to look at what I did.

It is a piece of black stove pipe that I spread open and screwed to a piece of sheet metal that slipped over my flue.

Real simple and kept out the water perfectly until I got my final cap.

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

Is ignorance bliss? I've been firing my oven small...medium...large following the temperature scale recommended. I don't have insulation on it and it sat for almost a month before I started. I used heatstop 50 and saw some cracks even before the first fire.
                              Looking at the dome today, I have cracks - most seem to be along the lines where I stopped a brick laying session. One does run vertically through the center of a brick - I can see this on the inside.
                              Should I have insulated before firing to have less thermal gradient across the brick? There's not any smoke coming through so I'm tempted to cover it with RockWool and pretend they don't exist.
                              What do y'all think?
                              thanks
                              Jeff
                              My 42-inch build

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                If cracks are something to be ashamed of we all have a problem. Every oven cracks.

I agreed that every oven cracks or will crack. But I rather not see it. I would imagine there would be a lot more cracks underneat the insulation blanklet. There is no way in hell that I lift up the blanklet to take a look. Ignorance is bliss!
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X