40" WFO in the New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Congratulations Tu on a great 1st wfo cooking experience. I'm impressed with ANYONE who bakes whole fish in the wfo for their 1st time.

The picture of the green artichokes between the glowing red embers is quite nice. Oh...I bet it tasted good too.

Regarding the enclosure: I had my summer swim/pizza party (35 people) when my oven still just had steel studs on the sides and some roof plywood cut around the vent opening (all the white dome insulation and crossing wires exposed) and I wanted everyone to appreciate all the work I did before I covered it up . Then a handful of people who came the next year thought that WAS my finished oven ! But, you can only go so far with blue tarp before weather turns again.

Thanks for sharing the nice food pics.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
      Well done TU,
      "If this is what you produced with your first try I can't wait to see what you can produce after several more tries"
      Tu,
      I second Karangi Dude. New Orleans is the food mecca as for as I'm conserned. People who live and frequent "New Awlins" are spoiled to having the choice of muti-national quisine to choose from as well as that can be found only there.

I know your are enjoying the cooking already, I'm jealous of that for sure, but I recomend that you get a secure cover over it: Hurricane season begins june1st. Lest we forget
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It was my son birthday yesterday and I had about 60 guests over to my house. I roasted a 40lb pig and made 20 pizzas.

I first slow cook the pig at 300 F for about 3 hours. I took the pig out of the WFO and let it rest for a couple of hour. I fired up the oven again to get the temperature up to 600 F for pig final heat. While the WFO was heating up, I recruited my daughter and niece to poke hundreds of tiny holes on the pig's skin so it could help with the cracklin' on the pig skin. Once the WFO heated up to my desire temp, I closed the WFO with my insulated door to let the heat spread out evenly throughout the oven without removing the ember. After 30 minutes with the door closed, the air temp inside the WFO was at 600 F. I put the pig inside the oven again for only 10 minutes and it was beautiful! Cracklin all over roasted pig. I love my WFO!

A lot of people was asking if I can help them if they decided to build a WFO in their backyard and how much it cost. I think my WFO is cured completely because all of the pizzas were beautifully chared on the bottom and they were usually cooked within two minutes.

Now, I need to focus on the enclosure of the WFO because hurricane season begins on June 15 and some serious bread baking.
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Just spectacular!!

Chris

Comment

Excellent thread. Congratualtions on a great build and for sharing your ideas and experiences.

Regards,
            Bruno
            Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Comment

Awesome build, i am so jealous!

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                I roasted a 40lb pig and made 20 pizzas.
                "Hawg" in the WFO I am jealous too but, I am happy for the opertunity to hijack another recipe.

"I recruited my daughter and niece to poke hundreds of tiny holes on the pig's skin so it could help with the cracklin' on the pig skin".

Tu,
                I know now, that you are a true "Southerner".
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, we do love our cracklin' in the dirty south. I am going to try boiled peanut next in the WFO. LOL

I will no longer post anything in regard to food on this thread because I have created another thread just for food. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...new-17609.html

Now, I am in the process of naming my WFO as well because of Gulf influenced. Since this is the year of the Dragon according to the Chinese Zodiac, and my Chinese Zodiac is just so happen to be Dragon (I was born 36 yrs ago and Chinese Zodiac sign cycles ever 12 yrs.). One of the names that I am thinking about calling my WFO is the Dragon Mouth because it eats a lot of wood and breath out some powerful fire/heat and wonderful food! Another name that I like is to honor my city, New Orleans. One of the biggest symbols in New Orleans is the Fleur De Lis which you can see it all over the Crescent City. I just so happen to live on the street that is intersecting to street named Fleur de Lis as well. I am thinking about calling it Fleur-De-Licious because so far, my WFO has been creating full of delicious (fleur de licious) dishes for my family and friends. So Forno buddies, please give me your input on which name I should pick.
                  Last edited by banhxeo76; 04-19-2012, 06:23 AM.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Being a little more current and playing with words.

Fleurboo-De-Licious

Comment

Fleur-De-Licious, thats a good one.
                      "You can tell a dutchman,
                      but you can't tell him much"

Comment

ah competition time again Tu Is it just a choice between Dragon Mouth and Fleur de -l licious - I like them both. Of course I must throw another suggestion in there - although the links to nawleans are a bit tenuous to say the least. Anyway in keeping with the feminine gender which I think we all agree must be the orientation of these fickle creatures I suggest Joan of Arc - there is a fiery theme but a litle more:
                        listen
                        Leonard Cohen - Joan of Arc - YouTube

"... and deep into his fiery heart
                        he took the dust of Joan of Arc
                        and the he truly understood
                        if she was fire then he must be wood"

Ok I have had a few beers tonight ..talk tomorrow
                        Amac
                        Amac
                        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Tu,
                          I like Fluer-De-Licious, it has a great ring to it.
                          I think you know that I was partial to The Crescent Lady but, (thank's to Amac) I was glad to settle for The Misssissippi Queen. That name pays homage to my home state and also keeps the New Orleans theme going.

My vote is for The Crescent Lady since your oven's location is the real deal but, here are some suggestions based on the Year of the Dragon.

The Dragon Lady
                          The Crescent City Dragon
                          The Fluer-De-Le-Dragon' (Dragon pronounced with a french sounding accent (dragone)

Comment

Hey banhxeo76 were the same age, I'm a Dragon too. What is better about that year (1976) is that it's not just the year of the Dragon but the year of the Fire Dragon, look it up.
                            -I say you give it a new name every year just for fun.

Mike D

Comment

Tu - Did I suggest Joan of Arc in a drunken stupor. What was I thinking - oh yes "Maid of Orleans" which is of course the "old" one not the musical mecca which is the "New" one. Also incidentally LC is from Quebec whose flag is the Fleurdelis?. A bit tenuous in the light of the morning after so please exscuse - I do like this song - which like Evangeline featured in the Last Waltz:

The Band - The Last Waltz - Down South in New Orleans (with lyrics) - YouTube

with lyrics like these who couldn't ?
                              I want to get too loose, on Toulose Street,
                              I wanna kiss all the Creole girls I see.
                              Drink all day, dance all night.
                              Do it wrong, 'til I do it right.
                              Doing it wrong till you do it right - kinda like building an oven
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks for dropping so many good ideas for name of my WFO which may delay the name of the oven even futher. I am having a harder time naming my WFO than naming my own kids. I may have to wait on the decision with the name when I am completely done with the WFO.

Amac, I didn't think that you were drunk, I just thought that you were Irish. Just kidding mo chara! Thanks for the second suggestion and I will listen to the song when I get home because I can't see any on Youtube at work. Thank God they have not block Forno Bravo yet.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X