40" WFO in the New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

No tu it's just a song I like - couldn't get any names out of it, There must be more songs featuring New Orleans than any other city in the world. You are spoiled for choice - I had thought about The House of the Rising Sun - but I think maybe that was a reference to a house of ill-repute - which might encourage the wrong type of guests
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thank God they have not block Forno Bravo yet
      What a difference one little letter can make
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
        Tu -What was I thinking - oh yes "Maid of Orleans" which is of course the "old" one not the musical mecca which is the "New" one. Also incidentally LC is from Quebec whose flag is the Fleurdelis?.
        Maid of New Orleans (somewhat like the phoenix) died of fire, reborn as a legend .
        Just another idea that you may be able to tie in to the Year of the Dragon + N.O. theme. You might could come up with an avatar that could some how tie the both together.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ceramic blanket has been on the WFO for about 5 weeks now and I have been using the WFO for about 4 weeks now. I used aluminum hobby wire OOK 50 Ft. Aluminum Hobby Wire 50176 at The Home Depot to strap the blanket on the dome.

As you can see in the attached photos, I am in the process of building a post on each side of the WFO so that I can later attach an extension of cedar post for pergola. WFO is located on the end corner of the pergola that is yet to be built. I poured some concrete inside the core with two rebars per core.
          Last edited by banhxeo76; 04-26-2012, 06:29 AM.
          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

I am using G90 & 20 gauge tracks and studs for the framing. G90 has more amount of hot dipped galvanized so that it can handles outdoor better and since I live in high humidity New Orleans , it wouldn't hurt. Lowes in New Orleans only carry 25 gauge stud and track and they were all made for indoor purpose. I had to special order my track and stud from a local company Interior Exterior Building Supply and it was cheaper than lowes. For reference on how to frame with light steel, check out this very good guidelines from North American Steel Framing Alliance. http://www.cfsei.org/details/PDF/Low...%20Details.pdf

I decided that I will use hardiebacker board because I find that hardie board is stronger than other concrete boards even though it is made from the same material. However, hardie board is listed at 1/2" thickness at HD and Lowes, but the actual thinkness is actually .42" which required me to move the steel track closer to the edge.

I converted my HF wetsaw to a metal saw simply by removing the water tray and switch the 10" concrete diamond blade with a 10" metal blade. Even though it is very loud when I cut the steel metal, it gives me a very clean straight cut.
            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
              I converted my HF wetsaw to a metal saw simply by removing the water tray and switch the 10" concrete diamond blade with a 10" metal blade. Even though it is very loud when I cut the steel metal, it gives me a very clean straight cut.
              Great idea for multitasking the saw. I am sure that you are doing this already, but please do wear hearing protection while using power tools. Metal cutting is in the decible area of double protection. That means earplugs and ear muffs. Hearing protection is cheap. Hearing your grand babies say "Pop Pop" is priceless

Just sayin' from a near deaf old fart.
              To many saws, too much time on the firing range and way too damn much high-amped Rock and Roll
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great work on the oven!!!

That is some pretty serious insulation you have on there...

How are your temps after a day or two with the door on?

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished product

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  Metal cutting is in the decible area of double protection. That means earplugs and ear muffs. Hearing protection is cheap. Hearing your grand babies say "Pop Pop" is priceless
                  Didn't think of the double protection for the ear and that would certainly help a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. However, not able to hear my wife complaining about spending too much time outside wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster View Post

How are your temps after a day or two with the door on?
                    I have about 3 layers of 1" of ceramic insulation all over the dome and on the top, I just add another layer. You don't feel any heat during the fire on the insulation at all.

As far as heat retention with the door closed, I would get 450 F on the following day. Then it would just drop to about 350 F range on day two. On the third day, it would be between around 250 F which is idea for slow roasting. When it hits below 200 F, I just dried some wood for the next fire. I roasted some garlic at 200 F for two hours and when I opened up the door, the aroma was heavenly! It is a good thing that my job only 15 minutes away from my WFO because I can just go home during lunch time and push some meat in the WFO and go back to work. When I get home from work, dinner is ready. The oven inside my house has been idle for some time now.
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

As you can see from the photo, my progress is going very slowly. Too many family functions at this time of the year and spending too much time on WFO cooking. It is hard to build the frame and cooking at the same time because WFO cooking required constant monitoring especially during high heat cooking. When you cook bread, you can just forget about multi-tasking because WFO bread baking require a lot of attention, care, and patience.

Also, it take longer when you have to work by yourself with no help. It forces you to take your time and to take extra step to hold things together while you work. On top of that, I never done this before.
                      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Nice Progress!.......I wish mine was moving along that fast......

Comment

Finally, I am done with framing....I think.
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Framing for the chimney.
                            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Wow. That looks like it will hold up to a Hurricane!
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Gable roof framing and continuous soffit vent for intake air flow to help keep the WFO dry just in case moisture get inside of the enclosure..
                                Last edited by banhxeo76; 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM.
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                                X