Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 40" WFO in the New Orleans

Tu,
    I have been saving my left over "lump" charcoal too. I have even made a couple of batches on purpose. Those were made from cut offs of hardwood lumber. You may remember my source . Cooking with the leftover lump on the grill is great. There are also some other uses for it that you might want to try.

Put it in a charcoal chimney and use a small propane torch to start an almost smokeless fire for your oven.

Using that same technique, you can also add just a few more degrees for cooking in an oven that is on the decline.

You can place it in a snake fashion around the perimeter of your "cold" oven and cook a great meal. I think Kbartman used this method with charcoal briquettes. But, it works the same way.

I starve my oven for oxygen (with the door) the same way as you described. But, the next morning, I still have a lot of live coals. Lately, I have been removing the coals from the oven and putting them in an old smoker,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Lump001_zps11ca3f26.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	305863
    that is fairly well air tight (with the vents closed). Later, when the coals are cool, I give it a few shakes and the smaller ash falls to the bottom. What is left, I reuse.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
    X