Texman Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texman Build

The proof of the tool accuracy is when you start the next course above the previous angled course. If it doesn't line up with the top inner edge of the brick below, the tool is off.
    That's correct Tracy. In your case the shortest line to the centre would be the lower edge - so the each succeeding row would tend to overlap the lower one slightly - but as you say wrong grip on the clamp etc can also cause similar effects.
    I found out what kind of brick layer i am and also that i need to be a better one in places.
    Most of us would prefer to not know exactly how bad a bricklayer we are - completed domes hide a multitude of sins
    I found the few times I relaid bricks that I had to do them 4 or five times - scraping off the mortar each time before I was happy - so I was not so fussy in the end.
    Looks pretty good - how do you find building the arch as you go. It was the first thing I did and I found it useful to have something stable to butt each course up against - but others prefer that method.
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
      Most of us would prefer to not know exactly how bad a bricklayer we are - completed domes hide a multitude of sins
      I found the few times I relaid bricks that I had to do them 4 or five times - scraping off the mortar each time before I was happy - so I was not so fussy in the end.
      Looks pretty good - how do you find building the arch as you go. It was the first thing I did and I found it useful to have something stable to butt each course up against - but others prefer that method.
      Amac
      I was thinking that building the arch as i go would allow for tweaks if necessary. Now that i somewhat over the fear of mortar(permanence of mortar), i think i could go ahead and finish arch. It would be good to have something stable to push the first brick against. The inside of my inner arch is not as perfect in the transition to the wall as i would like. I am thinking that i can tweak that with the angle if i deem necessary.

I followed Octoforno and your example (i thought) but am a little off. I have learned this: There is the oven of your vision and the oven you build. One is perfect and the other one is the one you build.
      Tracy
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Then there's the one you could build after you've finished the first.

Comment

Laku
          So True!
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

There is the oven of your vision and the oven you build. One is perfect and the other one is the one you build.
            Then there is the oven of your nightmares - it collapses in a heap of rubble - hope it's not the one I built
            Amac
            Link to my WFO build

Comment

I have had that nightmare, and the one about burning your house down. All for the cause, good food and good times.
              i now have version 3.0 of the IT. I think the third time is the charm, as usual. I moved the clamp position, and added relief straps on top and for brick face. It is as centered in brick as i can do. I decided i like having the clamp mounted to the IT and the screw clamp. Very solid and can clamp with one hand.
              I think the next step is build the arch. I am running out of excuses not to.
              I mocked it up and if i can set it as good as the mock up, i will be very pleased.
              As a friend told me, " it is good enough for who it is for."
              tracy
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Nice location tracy - you can virtually ignore the vagaries of the weather, and don't have to constantly drag a tarp on and off.
                Use the IT while you are building the arch. If you can remove the clamp and rotate the angle around the arch it will be a good guide that it will (should) align with the dome wall. Come to think of it I guess that is what you are doing with that brick in the clamp. Thats an even better idea
                Nice work - keep it up
                Aidan
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Nice location tracy - you can virtually ignore the vagaries of the weather, and don't have to constantly drag a tarp on and off.
                  Use the IT while you are building the arch. If you can remove the clamp and rotate the angle around the arch it will be a good guide that it will (should) align with the dome wall. Come to think of it I guess that is what you are doing with that brick in the clamp. Thats an even better idea
                  Nice work - keep it up
                  Aidan
                  I am glad you pointed that out. I had been using the IT to measure the top center of arch and trying to figure out how to measure around the arch. So yes, i was doing it, but didn't know i was. My thick head never thought to SIMPLY tilt the brick
                  Thanks a million. I knew i had some arch transition problems, but couldn't figure out a good way to mark them. This will work.
                  you can see my missed cuts where my dome meets the inside of the inner arch. Also, as you asked earlier about not building arch yet. Glad i didn't now. I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw, and correct the arch bricks that are set with the angle grinder.
                  Tracy
                  PS Good eyes! I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
                    who knows - its probably unlikely now - but the promise of a texan beer could tempt me.
                    anyhow glad to be of some assistance - I owe a lot to this forum - time to pay back a bit I guess.
                    Amac
                    Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                      I am glad you pointed that out. I had been using the IT to measure the top center of arch and trying to figure out how to measure around the arch. So yes, i was doing it, but didn't know i was. My thick head never thought to SIMPLY tilt the brick
                      Thanks a million. I knew i had some arch transition problems, but couldn't figure out a good way to mark them. This will work.
                      you can see my missed cuts where my dome meets the inside of the inner arch. Also, as you asked earlier about not building arch yet. Glad i didn't now. I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw, and correct the arch bricks that are set with the angle grinder.
                      Tracy
                      PS Good eyes! I owe you a beer if you ever come to Texas.
                      I think this is what you were trying to get me to understand?
                      it looks close, just need to make some minor adjustments i think. the biggest errors in cuts are on the lower part of arch bricks already set. should have known that since i could see it as i set them.
                      Texman Kitchen

Comment

who knows - its probably unlikely now - but the promise of a texan beer could tempt me.
                        anyhow glad to be of some assistance - I owe a lot to this forum - time to pay back a bit I guess.
                        Beer and Pizza on me, airplane tickets on you.
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

"Does that block on the form board slide up? If so good idea. One drawback of the IT is it doesn't keep the height consistent along the row - and a level is needed at least now and then. I tried to think of some attachment but gave up on it. Some hybrid IT and formboard would solve it".(Quote from Amac from Dennis build)
                          I have been thinking about the same thing. see crude sketches and see if this would work?
                          1. Use a plumb bob-might work after you get it settled; builder would have to retie at each course.
                          2. Framing square and clamp might be the easiest, it would depend on a level and clean floor, but so does the form method.
                          3. I am trying to think of linkage to do this with all thread.
                          4. Using wood it can be done with clamps i think easily.
                          Sorry about the drawings, i hope you can see what i am thinking.
                          Tracy
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy
                            Framing square and clamp might be the easiest, it would depend on a level and clean floor, but so does the form method
                            I had something like this in mind - but in the end the only part of the dome row where there is a real need is exactly the bricks which join to the arch when you get about halfway or more up the arch. Gulf used a laser level set up at the back of the dome which you can find on his (and my) thread. It looks like it would work well and did for Gulf. I had bought one of those (at some Lidl special buy thingy) but couldn't find it when I wanted it - so I had a little dip at those points even though I consciously fought it and thought it looked OK. It is actually hard to see.
                            BTW in case anyone is tempted to copy it - I changed those three hinged legs on my IT so that the three legs are at roughly 120? because there was some movement in the setup shown there.
                            Aidan
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

Just to clear up any confusion. A brick that is stood upright with the 2" side as the face is a sailor. An upright brick with the 4.5 face showing is a sailor.

Comment

I think i can mark the unset arch bricks and recut them on wetsaw
                                Tracy,

This should go fairly quickly using your IT (I used a string). Start at the top-center and scribe down to the base of each side to get the line you want. Just make sure that you have spacers/wedges between the bricks to simulate the mortar gaps. Excellent build so far.
                                John

Comment

Working...
                                X