Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texman Build

THE droop offenders...
    I will use the angle grinder and remove the two bricks adjacent to arch. the one on the left (facing oven) is the main offender. notice the gap overhang in the pic. The right one is not so bad, but i don't want to fight this every course. I think (hope) the trick is USE the angle grinder here. Don't use a chisel and wale away next to the arch, cut the brick out. Even in pieces is better than destroying the arch at this point. I could fix with shims, but i am already seeing things i don't like and have gained a little skill so i want to slow down and get things corrected while i have the chance. I think the lower courses may be off as well, but i will correct from course 5 an up. Onward...
    Tracy
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Nate
      This drawing may help explain the arch process better. I think it could be done with 17 bricks for an 18" arch. I went to 19 bricks because it is easier to remove more from the brick than less. The wet saw blades are flexible, not completely rigid. So, if i used 17 bricks, the cuts would have to be very exact on the 2.5" end (top) By using 19 bricks, the cut is deeper and the blade has brick on each side as it cuts(if this makes any sense) You get straighter cuts this way. The drawing is off a little, but i think you will get the idea. I made the actual size version and then cut the template once i had the drawing done.
      I removed the "droopy" offender last night using the angle grinder and a screwdriver. Not too bad, just careful around the arch.
      i think i discovered my problem that is causing the droop as well. Lying in bed, trying to sleep, thinking about bricks, angles, circumference, etc., i came up with the measuring from the center-line of the back wall of the oven to each side of the arch. Mine is a bit off, so the arch is not exactly square to the center-line of the oven. About a 1/4" i think, enough to cause droop i bet. Anyway, i can deal with that for sure. Just trying to understand what happened.
      Tracy
      Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy -
        Looking at your pictures, it looks like the wood you have on the floor is a single piece. Are you going to be able to get that out when the dome is done? I cut mine into three sections so I could slide it out the door when everthing was closed up.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Dennis
          I have wondered that too. It is thin 3/16" pressboard. I thought i would just break it and take it out in pieces. I thought i could rip it with a circular saw if i need help breaking as long as i don't cut too deep. I had plans to cut in three pieces and got busy. I may go ahead and score the cuts now, i will be glad i did when i am trying to work through the arch opening.
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy,
            I wouldn't be concerned about the inner arch not being 'square' since you can bring the dome back to round in a course or two. Despite the hours of lost sleep contemplating everything WFO, my dome is not perfectly round. Believe me, I re-cut 3-4 dome/arch bricks until they fit my requirements for minimizing droop. In every case, the re-cut brick ended up being larger than the original.

The hiccups and imperfections are what make your oven what it is, and is a personal testament to your hands - it's signature, if you will.

John

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
              I may go ahead and score the cuts now, i will be glad i did when i am trying to work through the arch opening.
              Why not just burn it .
              Laying flat against the floor, I imagine, it would burn quite slowly. By the time your curing fires are done I think that it would probably be mostly consumed.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Dang good Idea! Thanks Gulf.
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

If it's masonite, it's probably ok to burn as that stuff is steam pressed with no glues. If it is something with bonding resins in it I would not personally want something like that burnt in my oven. Who knows what they use for resin.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

"Come on, ............. Do you want to live forever?
                    Seriously, I wouldn't burn something like treated wood in my oven, my fire place or even on a bonfire in my yard. I would not burn pressboard to heat my oven or smoking meat. However, I don't think that anything from the naturally occurring sap from coniferous trees (since the turpentine, non condensable gasses, Methanol etc. has either been recovered for more profitable use or burned on site) would survive the increasingly high temps of the curing fires.
                    Just Say'n .
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

i think i discovered my problem that is causing the droop as well. Lying in bed, trying to sleep, thinking about bricks, angles, circumference, etc., i came up with the measuring from the center-line of the back wall of the oven to each side of the arch. Mine is a bit off, so the arch is not exactly square to the center-line of the oven. About a 1/4" i think, enough to cause droop i bet. Anyway, i can deal with that for sure. Just trying to understand what happened.
                      It may well be a contributing factor in your case tracy - but in general I don't think that is the normal cause. If you build your arch and dome using the IT with the same radius set from the same central point then that should not be a problem unless there was some movement in the IT. I see it as more of an optical illusion. The fact that the arch is in the way means that there is no natural support underneath for the bricks attaching to the arch. The other bricks cross a vertical joint at their centre and both ends of the brick are supported and the centre of the horizontal joint is a little wider. But when we come to that brick we try to make the horizontal joint parallel which it shouldn't be. It should be tipped up slightly.

Gulf's system using the level with the laser attached is the best solution I have seen.
                      http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...Oven/192-1.jpg
                      I had actually picked up one of those from Lidl a few years ago but it disappeared somwhere
                      Amac
                      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Well, give me the idiot of the year award on Fornobravo. I was trying to remove a brick that was off bond and ended up cracking the back oven wall and broke the arch. Enough of that.

I have cleaned the brick and i am starting over. I am sure i will have a better oven because of all of this.

I have two questions before I resume my build:
                        1. I am using 2" of FB board as the only insulation under my oven. Is that enough or would you all recommend more?
                        2. One of the "brickies", or whoever knows; What do i need to do to the bricks that have had mortar on them? Use them as they are (after knocking off the old mortar of course) or clean them with acid or something?

Tracy
                        Dont look at the pics, they may bring a tear.
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

That "viewer discretion" warning should have been to us all. Ouch!

2" of FB board is considered enough insulation although many have placed 2" of FB or CalSil on top of 4" of V- or P-crete.

Acid is not necessary. You have already knocked the mortar loose. Just brush off any loose particles or dust like you would with a new brick.

Comment

oh no tracy - how frustrating - not sure i would have been able to display such stoicism if it happened to me. But as you say it will be better (and quicker) next time.
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

how about just doubling the FB board and having 4"? I was reading the "what would you do different" thread and many of the post indicated that they would add more floor insulation.
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                                oh no tracy - how frustrating - not sure i would have been able to display such stoicism if it happened to me. But as you say it will be better (and quicker) next time.
                                It is my own fault. I should (have) learned to leave well enough alone. Lesson for anyone reading this thread: " dont get a hammer anywhere near your dome. No matter what course you are on. If you absolutely must take a mortared brick out, cut it out with the grinder completely"

I think chipping mortar for about 2 1/2 hours helped vent the anger. It should go quick once i start again. I knocked a few chunks out of the face of some of the brick. I think i have plenty of brick if i want to replace, but i may use them as a testament to stupidity.

I think i like adding more floor insulation though, since i actually have the chance to do it again.

texidiot
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X