Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texman Build

Tracy -
    That sucks. I thought I had a bad evening - when I took off most of a chain to correct the angle error that Aidan's sharp eye caught. I always use a rubber mallet when I'm trying to get a brick out. Can't do too much damage with that!
    As for the insulation - I have 2 inches of the FB board, plus an inch of this stuff under that. I think 4 inches of FB is overkill. The stuff I linked is probably a quarter the cost, and will easily handle whatever residual heat gets through the FB board.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Don't worry Tracy, you'll be a better person having gone through this humbling experience

I have cracks in my oven just like that right now and it works just fine. In a few days, it won't seem such a big deal.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks Lee. The sun still shines and the sky is still blue. Wife isnt too POd either.
        I know you added extra insulation on the floor or your oven, 3" i think.
        What do you think about the going to 4" of ceramic board? I would like the added height to the oven as well as the extra inulation. I have the 2" FB board now. I have to get more mortar from Larkin and i could get extra floor board from them as well since i have to order anyway.

Tracy
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
          Thanks Lee. The sun still shines and the sky is still blue. Wife isn't too POd either.
          I know you added extra insulation on the floor or your oven, 3" i think.
          What do you think about the going to 4" of ceramic board? I would like the added height to the oven as well as the extra insulation. I have the 2" FB board now. I have to get more mortar from Larkin and i could get extra floor board from them as well since i have to order anyway.

Tracy
          If you do add the extra insulation, you and I are in the minority. Nice to have, but not essential. If you do decide to go with four inches like we did, be sure it is a rigid insulation. MY insulation was not sufficiently rigid to handle the weight of the oven without settling. My fault for not getting a proven insulator. FB board is proven. WRT oven height, higher is better for me!
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Tracy,
            When it's all said and done your slight mishap will have translated into a quantum improvement (insulation) in the performance of your oven and you will be in a prime position to thank yourself.

I think even 1" of extra rigid insulation (50% increase) will go a long way to increasing heat retention.
            John

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Besides increasing the floor insulation, i want to add some height. I am not familiar with the vermicrete and other options, but will do some research here on the forum. I know there are many options, including insulating firebrick, vermicrete, concrete and many others. Any suggestions?
              Tracy
              PS John, I remember reading that you removed your soldier course and started over on your oven. I had that whole thing cleaned and dismantled in about 2.5 hours. Wish i could put it back together that quick.
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy,
                I went the vermicrete route (3.5") under my Insboard 19. It's easy to install (8:1 vermiculiteortland) and inexpensive. 2" of vermicrete = 1" of fiber board. The compressive strength is good but the stuff dries crumbly and the edges need to be protected.

Don't worry about speed. I read about so many builders who rushed their builds and after completion say they wished they'd taken more time/care. Other than cutting my dome joints uniform (inside to outside), the single-biggest area of focus for me was maintaining consistent mortar hyration and pressing each brick into place with little or no adjustments. Yes, this takes time, but hopefully will eliminate cracking later on.
                John

Comment

I need some vermicrete advice, please. I have read the various posts regarding using the vcrete, seems fairly straight forward. Except, how do you mix this stuff? Wheelbarrow, bucket, in the form, etc? and should i use a mixing attachment in a drill like you would for thinset or sheetrock mud. I am thinking using a drill to mix will add air and may break down the vermiculite, which i think is not good. mixing in wheelbarrow seems to be the best and then transfer to slab with shovel?
                  I am thinking of using a 4:1 mix or 5:1 and maybe some sand to make a stronger mix. i am using fb board on top, so i can give away some insulating value for the strength. I am planning a 5.5" thickness of vcrete to gain height to get to a 44-45" hearth.

I did the "play like you are making pizza elbow test" and that seems about the correct height. Also, i need advice on where to end the vcrete. should it extend to the front entrance of the oven or stop at the point of the inner arch ? or is either way ok?
                  Tracy
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy

I saw a couple good videos on youtube about mixing vermicrete, but did not go that route myself. Wheelbarrow mixing is often described here. Where you end the vermicrete is up to you.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I mixed mine in a old tub that was going to the scrap yard (knew it would come in handy one day) .. mix it by hand wear a elbow lenght glove and just fold it all together add water as needed

Comment

-I did mine in a wheelbarrow. Mix the vermiculite withe the portland cement dry first, then mix in the water until it looks like oatmeal. It takes more water than you think. If you mix it too dry it won't hold together very well. Keep the forms on for a wile or as long as you can (there is no reason to take them off for a little wile anyway).

-I did the vermiculite mix under a layer of the FB board (just for extra insulation).

Mike

Comment

Tracy,
                          I did my vcrete just like Mike using a hoe in my wheel barrow. Stir carefully and it will fold together quite easily. I read of ratios here from 5:1 to 12:1, so I went right down the middle, 8:1, and topped it with 2" of fiberboard. The lower the ratio (5:1) the more more portland and less insulative value, but a slightly stronger finished product.

I put insulation under my oven floor and entryway. If your oven bricks touch your oven entryway at all, this will cause a thermal bridge and lead to residual heat loss. The entryway insulation should help to reduce this.
                          John

Comment

I did a 6:1 (I don't know why).

Mike

Comment

Vermicrete 5:1:1 (vermiculite, portland,sand) is in. Poured it Saturday, the pour had shrunk away from the forms about an 1/8", so i removed the forms sunday afternoon. I wish i had packed the vcrete against the forms more to avoid voids, but other than that it went well. I mixed 1:1:1 (vemiculite, type S mortar and fireclay) and slopped it on the outside edge to fill my voids and hopefully give it some edge protection. Threw a little fireclay on top to start leveling in the pics.

How long should i wait for the vcrete to cure before I set the FB board on top and set the oven floor? I have read 3 days and also wait for full cure of 28 days. Also, i think i should be cautious with this since the FB board might wick moisture from the vcrete.

I just read some post this morning about letting the first course of dome float with no mortar. I must have missed that in the fb plans and everywhere else.
                              Does the first arch brick float as well? So no mortar between oven floor and walls and the arch?

I guess i am glad i am on the second try, because i mortared all this the first time.
                              Tracy
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Re: Texman RE-Build ReThread

I went ahead and leveled the vcrete layer with fireclay and set the FB board and leveled it with another layer of fireclay. Got the floor tiles reset and the first course laid out and got the arch close. Not bad for a Monday evening. I need to recheck all the layout, but it seems close. Seems like i have been here before.
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X