Texman Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texman Build

I tried to cut the brick next to arch for the sixth course last nite and ended up with nada to use. It is such a flat angle on my build. I looked at the masters builds and their sixth course didnt have such a flat angle, but i am not concerned, just looking for guidance. I think the brick will have to be more than a 1/2 brick, because the cut angle seems to be diagonal of the brick and that is causing me to remove so much that the brick is less than 2.5" thick (droop issues) if that is the way to go, i can move the brick higher on the arch and cut less off of the adjacent brick.

I think i have the wrong laser level. I got one of those picture hanger specials with a stud finder. it projects a beam around the dome, but not good enough to rely on. Stanley 20' Beam Cross-Line Laser Level
    Item #: 253310 | Model #: 253319 at lowes.

Tracy
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Tracy,

You are doing a great job with your WFO as to date. I just finished reading your thread and I was in disbelief that you disassebled your WFO and started again. If there is a "come back" award for this forum, you should have it. Heck, the award should be named after you.

I just want to add a few cent in regard to your I.T. I just so happen to use the same alsey fire brick as you for the dome (I used whitacre greer brick for the floor) and you will be very glad that you choose to go with alsey because it is a great firebrick because I have not seen any crack on my brick after three months of using it. During my build, I noticed that the 2.5" thickness firebrick is usually off between 1/16" to 3/32" which may cause the slightly unlevel course. However, that is why the mortar is your friend because the mortar will make the difference in the joints. You will just have to accept the fact that some mortar joints will be slightly bigger/smaller than other. In addtion to using your IT, I would recommend you using a Level Pitch and Slope Locator so that you can that use it as a guide to help you be consistent with degree and and be level with the course.

After saying all of that, it won't be 100% prefectly level to the "T" because of the brick is not prefectly square and made prefectly. So, try not to get too stress out and spend too much time on getting it level prefectly. I can assure that your first attempt of building WFO is more level than 99% of the WFOs than what is out there (including mine ). You are doing a great job!
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Ah, I remember that $#@^& brick!

My $0.02 (and what I did) was start with the brick next to it, work all the way around the dome, and then tackle the arch connecting bricks last. Somehow, they just made more sense when I could see what they were going to connect to. IIRC, I had made a slight miscalculation (my only one, I swear! ) and ended up having that course just over the top of the arch by maybe an inch - but I was able to cut the bricks much more quickly when the shape of the hole was quite clear.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Tracy
          Not intending to confuse by adding more advice. Unlike Dennis I never attempted to coincide the top of the arch wih the top of a row so was not surprised when there was an inch or so to spare. This is how I got over the arch.
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/39...tml#post127903
          I cut the pointed and narrowing ends off two bricks at the sides and two sliced half bricks - very slightly wedge shaped to fit between them. It seemed to work well but maybe not if I had less than an inch for the middle bits.
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

That's just about exactly what I ended up doing as well. And better said with pictures.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Dennis
              That's just about exactly what I ended up doing as well. And better said with pictures.
              great minds I guess - btw the pics are a bit out of chronological order - nr 1 should be nr 3.
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Tracy,
                I went back and edited my original post about the laser level and included a pic of mine. It is the only laser level that I have ever worked with. I did not think about there being so many different types available. I had thought when I was reading your build that you were too close to finishing for one to be worth buying, but you had already purchased it.
                I wish now that I had of taken more pics, but I was experimenting and trying to beat the rains.
                Sorry about the confusion.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

"If you really want the spacing to be uniform, I found I had to work from one side all the way around. Working from both sides, that middle brick never turned out right. "

The secret is that it doesn't matter if you work from both sides or not, but when you have the opening down to the width of 4 bricks, you measure and divide it into 4 and cut those four into equally sized units. They will be nearly full sized and indistinguishable from full size brick.

If you want the coursing to be correct, i.e. vertical joints not stacking, then you will need to cut every third or fourth brick as you move up towards the top and it will naturally end with a full or nearly full size closer (the last brick).

Comment

only set two bricks, but very glad to have them set. i think i am good to go on the sixth course now.

Gulf
                    Thanks for taking the time to explain the level. I used the one i have and it works good enough to see if you are true across the arch. You had a great idea with that rotating laser. Not sure i will spring for one now, but that is the ticket for building WFOs.

Tscar
                    Thanks for the input and expertise that you always bring. The bond is a constant battle for me and most builders i think. The course below dictates a lot of what you have to do on the next for me.
                    Tracy
                    Texman Kitchen

Comment

The course below absolutely dictates the next, that is why you have to be consistent in sizing and not end up with chips (units smaller than 25% of a full unit).

It is better to cut as you go, maintaining bond on the head joints, and planning ahead as you move to your closer. For arches, cut the brick on each side and level across as you bring it up, then cut your closer (keystone) to fit. Again, watch your brick size for the last 2 brick on each side of the arch to make sure your keystone will be appropriately sized.

Comment

Texman, I just looked at your photos. You have very tight joints, but some potato chips too. It is no problem with your joint widths, just cut 2 or 3 to fit the space instead on chipping one.

Comment

So I read somewhere in the threads to start in the back of the oven and work around to the arch. The back of the oven is the only part you see when you are cooking. So make the back the best part. When you start in the back you can line up the joints (or keep them from lining up) the way you want. You will end up cutting everything to fit anyway so the bricks close to the arch will happen the way they happen.

Good Luck

Comment

• Re: Texman Re-Build

I have the 6th and 7th and 8th courses in. In other words, I AM PAST ARCH !

She may not be the prettiest gal at the dance, but i bet she will cook and keep me warm at night. I cleaned her teeth and did some minor dental work on the inside arch and i am pleased with the results. She had a little droop at the arch, but i gave her some implants and got her perked up. I think she is round again.

It takes me about 7 hours for one course, with time for a few brews. I managed to do courses 7 and 8 without potato chips(small bricks). I spent a couple hours starting the 9th course trying to get uniform angles and bevels figured out. I have studied the charts that several builders have done that specify the correct bevel and angle at given points. Doesn't work for me. the larger brick you are using changes the vertical joint. Maybe if all bricks were exactly uniform, but that doesn't work in my kitchen either. I am doing it the hard way and making multiple cuts to each brick to custom fit based on the angles i should have. That is why i just purchased my third blade for the HB saw.

I use a trimmed piece of brick to get the angle and bevel that fits and make minor adjustments as i go.
                            Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

Great-looking arch, Tracy! It looks like you're back on course and it won't be long now...

John

Comment

John
                                It should resemble yours if you squint your eyes and turn the lights off.
                                That arch transition is mind boggling. I should have trusted the IT and i could have avoided the small droop. If the IT is locked on plane (plane of floor) the IT tells the builder when the brick is not on plane. (if that makes sense) My IT locks to where the clamp end will not turn, so once that is set, you can see the deviation from on plane. That is how i made the correction to droop. I set that brick on top of arch with the two wedges underneath based on the gap of a brick attached to the tool as i moved toward the arch and the brick revealed a gap begin as i neared the arch that defined the error.
                                Tracy
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X