Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perth 42" Pompeii - dome to flat entry integration

Just use your indispensable tool to check if your dome will connect with your arch. If it doesn't reach correctly than you will end up with a teardrop like some of us have. The arch has to be pushed far enough into the oven to make a good connection.
    - I had this problem in my build, you can check it out if you want.(round shape)

Good luck,
    Mike

Comment

Hi John

I Built my oven a few years ago - the arch is not as difficult as you may think.
      I'm not a brickie or stonemason - give it a go.

Look at my link - this may give you some ideas
      Cheers

Mike

Check out my progress to date
      http://picasaweb.google.com/MumsOven/MyPizzaOven#

Comment

Re: Perth 42" Pompeii - Gaps in brickwork

How critical is it that the faces of the bricks all but up against each other? In this photo, you see little gap opening up. I'm thinking that it' won't matter too much, but will it get worse as I go higher, and if it must sort it out now, how would that be achieved?
        JT
        Willetton, Perth
        Western Australia
        My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

"but will it get worse as I go higher,"

Eventually you will have to start "beveling" the bricks to keep the joint tighter at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
            "but will it get worse as I go higher,"

Eventually you will have to start "beveling" the bricks to keep the joint tighter at the bottom.
            Yup - not that hard. Some people create jigs for the angle cuts - I just put one of the brick shims I cut out under the brick I was cutting (to get the bevel) - just played it by ear (so to speak) and beveled the sides. As I got higher - I angled the bricks (on the shims) for the double bevel cut. This gives you plenty of brick shim / scraps to use for filler pieces in the larger gaps . . .

Like I said - I just eyeballed them and they came out pretty tight . . .

Keep going - you'll do fine. Just take a couple of bricks and shave off the bevel and see how they fit together. Once you see it - the rest should be easy.

Comment

I'm baaackk! Slow progress here in Willetton, but have had a knee operation so have some form of excuse. Have made lots of errors but it's coming together. Tomorrow I have hired a brick saw - the angle grinder only goes so far.
              Probably have to rethink my formwork for the remaining courses. I cut it ok, but instead of leaning the bricks directly on it, used wedges, so now, there's a gap between it and the bricks. If I'm consistent, it will now be a nice, round and slightly bigger dome. Might be able to just lift up the foam formwork into the remaining section, we'll see.
              Last edited by jab49; 07-07-2012, 12:05 AM.
              JT
              Willetton, Perth
              Western Australia
              My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
              X