Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Blew It !!

I did a small cantilever actually it was about 4" on 4" hanging over:

I'm grinning because I was using the back vibrator.

I had a couple inches of rebar sticking up so I tied into them. You could drill a couple bolts or glue some rods into the base-front for more rebar to cantilever a counter.

BTW: I just posted to someone else a minute ago on his question and I made this point that might help you: If you build your ovens vent landing with a flared opening (the outer arch is wider than the inner) it gives you a little extra "counter" area in the landing itself to set pizza peels on, cast iron pots and such before you push them into the oven. My counter is a tad shallow, but with the wide vent-landing area, I've plenty of room.

Good luck, Dino
    Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I have read many post's on the size of the oven 36" or 42"......my opion is majority have built 42" for large party's and large pieces of meat. Everybody who has built the 36" is satisfied. If I build a 42" I will have to extend the sides as well. Not a big fan of that process. I have convinced my self to extend the back for the proper 70" hearth as following the instructions by width is only 54". I would like cook 1 pie at a time , 3 or 4 pies would be stress!! ... But what do I know, just a rooky here looking in from the outside!

Comment

"I have convinced my self to extend the back for the proper 70" hearth"

It is more work, but in the long run you will probably be glad you did it. As for size, a 36 inch oven will do pretty well anything you want. Most of us cook only one pizza at a time anyway. Even with a crew helping, you will be hard pressed to do the prep/toppings on pizzas fast enough to cook more than one at a time.
        Last edited by Neil2; 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Your right, I will go for the extra work and the 36 build should fit perfect. We do entertain but never a wild shin dig. Will start after the snow melts,it a short season up here in the great white north ! I still have a foot of snow in my back yard. Probably will have to start after the May long weekend.....that when it's safe (temperature wise ).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Buckles View Post
            I was not aware of this site and built my base with the dimensions measuring 54" inches by 54" inches. Can I fit a 36" inch Pompeii hand made brick oven ?:
            Take heart, I did the same thing! Had planned to build a barrel oven and built the base for the barrel design. Then, I decided to build a pompeii oven. The base was too small. We cantilevered on two sides and it turned out OK. Nobody would ever know to look at it, but we did some redesign mid-stream and we are happy with it. I made a fairly wide entry, but not as deep as most.

You can see we extended the base toward the house and toward the front of the base. Steel rebar is the secret
            Last edited by Lburou; 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

-I say keep your foundation the way it is and do something like Dino did to give you the extra room in the front for your vent. I have always thought the huge entry/landings are unnecassary. Remember the front opening of your oven does not need the same space as the back and the sides. Center your oven so the sides and the back are balanced, then when you get to the vent part of the oven (after you finish the dome) overhang it as you need to.
              -Draw it out, What are you going to finish the base with? This might help you in your overhang.
              Good Luck-
              -Mike

Comment

Dino could do his easier because he had rebar extending so that he could tie it structurally to the suspended slab.

Drilling and grouting dowels is an iffy thing.

Comment

Hey boys, I do know of a product for anchoring rebar in concrete with this epoxy. It's made by Hilti and it's an unbelievable. It's for heady duty commercial application and it's bullet proof. I could drill in to the hearth and add some 3/4 inch rebar and extend out. Just don't know how far I will need to go. I made a temp plate and I will have around 8" for the vent and opening after the dome is built.

Comment

Hey boys, I do know of a product for anchoring rebar in concrete with this epoxy. It's made by Hilti and it's an unbelievable. It's for heady duty commercial application and it's bullet proof. I could drill in to the hearth and add some 3/4 inch rebar and extend out. Just don't know how far I will need to go. I made a temp plate and I will have around 8" for the vent and opening after the dome is built.
                    FWIW.....What is your planned oven floor hieght? Could you live with the floor another 3.5 inches higher? If yes, just pour another slab with reinforced cantilevers wherever you need them. The added expense and time to make a base with the correct dimensions is worth it. Added hieght is something many wish they had in retrospect.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

That is easy, I can increase the height.... But will it look goofy when I finish with a cable style roof. I mean will it look okay with an overhang on the foundation ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                        FWIW.....What is your planned oven floor hieght? Could you live with the floor another 3.5 inches higher? If yes, just pour another slab with reinforced cantilevers wherever you need them. The added expense and time to make a base with the correct dimensions is worth it. Added hieght is something many wish they had in retrospect.
                        I agree,
                        Mine will finish out about 2 to 3 inches below optimum and I thought it would be the perfect height.

GianniFoccacia (John) has an excellent work-around for your dilemma. The same approach will work with your square stand, only easier. You want have to drill holes for rebar. Just extend the rebar from the new pore horizontally over the edge in the available space out side of the insulation footprint on the sides. It will carry the weight in the middle. That will give you the counterweight and support to make this work.

If you are interested I can draw you a set of plans to post which will show you how to form and and reinforce.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf, that would be much appreciated if you can afford the time to forward a sketch. I understand your plan but will it look okay with an extension on the foundation when I finish it with cultured stone ?

Comment

Gulf, that would be much appreciated if you can afford the time to forward a sketch. I understand your plan but will it look okay with an extension on the foundation when I finish it with cultured stone ?
                            If you are facing the stand, sure! I can't see what finish would matter. You might want to spec out exactly what your idea of the finished oven would look like. (thickness of stone etc.) I and or many others will help you get there.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Do you mean just pour an extra 2" on the top and plan the finishes as I go.....kind of wing it ! I measured my current total height, it's 38".

Comment

Do you mean just pour an extra 2" on the top and plan the finishes as I go.....kind of wing it ! I measured my current total height, it's 38".
                                I'm sorry, I thought you were meaning the face of the stand. My finished height is 41". I am 5' 8" tall. I could have used another 2 to 3" of height for the floor finished floor level.

I suggest that you pore another 3 and 1/2" of concrete and recess your vermiculite or Calcil (GianniFocaccia's build). If you pore 3 and 1/2" of vermuiculite in the form and add 2" of CalSil that would bring you up to 43 and 1/2". That would be the optimum height for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X