Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WFO Build in Connecticut

flyfisherx,

Lookin good, a I am only on my third course. How lucky to be able to hop in the pool between cuts all I get is cooled off by the wet saw....

I am also watching how the bond seems to shift around. Looking forward to seeing you get past the arch.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I tell you....its getting rough trying to keep these joints staggered. I had one course that I knew I had joints lining up in sacrifice to get a fresh row to work with on the way up. Even though the sacrifice, I am finding I still need to trim brick to keep a staggered joint no matter what.

Today, I am going to take my time...if I don't get a course in, it's because of trying to figure out a way to cut a brick in thirds with bevels.

I could be taking a lot longer and strive towards perfection...but I just want to get this dome done! I am happy with the way it is turning out regardless. It could be better, but then I would be working into next year.

And yes the pool does a lot better than the wet saw

Dave
      Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Well I started messing around on Sunday trying to get the seventh course complete. With yard work that I have been neglecting, I got no where. I did do some measuring though. I figured out that I need approximate 3rd size bricks for my 7th course.

I cut them last night.....Arrrrrgggghhhh!!!! Most are too small....some fit fine. Trying to keep staggered joints are going to be very time consuming. I almost recall Gianni saying that he cut each brick custom. In order to stay on bond, I am going to have to check every brick that goes in and trim if necessary.

It looks as if I want that bond joint, I am going to need to do the same.

I read somewhere that the outside width of your new bricks should be the same as the inside width of the course your laying on top of. This did not seem to precisely work out for me. I came out a little small.

The further I get with this oven, the more appreciation I have for all the builders before me. It's the thought of you guys that keep me going when I just want to give up.

Any others with issues trying to stay on bond?

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisherx View Post
          I read somewhere that the outside width of your new bricks should be the same as the inside width of the course your laying on top of. This did not seem to precisely work out for me. I came out a little small.
          I think the idea is that bottom of your bricks for next course will be about as wide as the tops of the previous course. That way you theoretically stay in bond if you manage to keep the seams consistent.

It's easier if you only cut bricks as you go.

Comment

Doahhhhhh That's it. Funny how I get things wrong the first time and then BINGO the light goes on and I truly understand. Thanks for the clarification Laku...I am going to save the smaller bricks for later and try re cutting. I will post as to how it works out.

Comment

Dave, I've done the "I cut it off twice and it's still too short" routine on my bricks a few too many times times so far and found that cutting them individually is the way to go for the first few in the course then build a jig or use a template brick. Good luck, looking great!
              - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Dave
                Looks really good. Take your time on those bricks next to arch and over the arch. They will lie to you, not trick you, but lie. Will your IT lock at the vertical plane of the oven? If it does, that should keep the arch adjoining brick true. I didn't get to third size brick till course 10 on my 37.5", so not sure where that will be for yours. Keep up the good work.
                Tracy
                Texman Kitchen
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Thanks Tracy and Johnathon....you give me hope in responding and backing up my suspicions about these bricks.

I will take my time and try to keep those bricks from lying to me.

Comment

tex and fish,

Like this "lie to ya", the closer bricks next to my arch have been lying to me all week... I have had to make some smaller adjustment bricks to try and avoid vertical stacking and hoping it does not come to haunt me in later courses. I am hoping you two figure out all of this stuff before I get there so I have some guidance.
                    Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
                      I think the idea is that bottom of your bricks for next course will be about as wide as the tops of the previous course. That way you theoretically stay in bond if you manage to keep the seams consistent.

It's easier if you only cut bricks as you go.
                      This formula is spot on. Works like a charm. I got 1/2 7th course completed last night after work. Plan to do the other half tonight and tie in this weekend over the arch and start the 8th.

Its getting steep now

Comment

I have been following this post for a while and have found it interesting. I really find it interesting that there is so much stress put onto this alignment of seams.

Yes I do agree that having some overlap of one seam to the next is ideal but in this particular type of project not that critical.

I'm not suggesting that you have 4 or 5 runs with all the seams lined up is a great idea but having one seam over another will not bring down the house.

I think the majority of structural cracking in any masonry structure is due to the foundation and no amount of stagger of seams will prevent this. How many walls have you seen with that big zig zag crack running up the wall? That is caused by a failed footer.

So if a stagger of a 16" block is not safe from structural cracking then a small firebrick of 3.5' or less with and overlap as small as .5" really does not prevent any cracking.

So it's just my opinion that putting so much effort to prevent one seam from lining up with a lower seam is pointless in this build.

all due respect, Faith

Comment

Faith, I perfectly understand your point. I am doing this more for myself than anything else. The visual aspect of the staggered brick appeals to me and my anal retentiveness

I usually strive for perfection as I do things but am finding that my impatiance is winning allowing for imperfections to occur. If I don't get this thing done I'm going to go nuts.

This thing is VERY time consuming. The wife is starting to complain

I am at a crossroads. Who cares about the visulal aspects of the brick versus having to look at it later and kicking myself for not being a little more patient.

Thanks for giving me the confidence that it should stand regardless of how the joints line up.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfisherx View Post
                            I usually strive for perfection as I do things but am finding that my impatiance is winning allowing for imperfections to occur. If I don't get this thing done I'm going to go nuts.

This thing is VERY time consuming. The wife is starting to complain
                            You have a great build going and it does stress the family unit sometimes. I have had to put my trowel done and turn the saw off many times when all I wanted to do was cut brick. Just wanted to offer some encouragement to stay the course, because you will know every joint that you wish you could do different later and they will be there for eternity (or long time anyway). I have found that my wife has more time to shop since i am working on the oven so much and a good bottle of wine helps her relax while i am working.
                            Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

faith, fish, tex,

I value all of you guys opinions, IMHO, vertical stacking on one or two seams , as Faith says won't bring down the house. I guess for me it is more of an asthetic goal than a structual goal. I put my prettiest bricks where I can see them from the opening. Do I have oops, yeah, just trying to hide them. Some people spend there artistic skills on the outside and inside as well. All opinions are valid, just where you want to place your emphasis.

Tex, I quoted early in my thread, this oven cost me double, the cost of the build, and the cost of the better half's shopping while I work on the oven
                              Russell

Comment

Yup... I went with aesthetics as well and I paid attention to the easy viewable places such as the back wall. But once you get your outer arch on and all that the easy view starts to reduce tremendously. So I hid my short bricks close to the arch entrance.

From my personal experience I have found no one willing to stick their body and head into the oven when is running as 700 degrees to check out my seams.

That is also why I kept all my bricks the same size in each run and adjusted the one next to the arch. I think having different size bricks catches the eye quicker then the occasional stacked seam.

Comment

Working...
                                X