Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Good thing. If they were from lowes they would probably grow in twisted and split and you would have to return them, only to have to take store credit because you couldn't find the receipt.
    I understand fully what you mean and very much agree. But, for those that don't: I usually buy my lumber elsewhere . The "maters" though, will probably be OK, even if if they are a little "twisted" .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Oh no Lowes lumber is just perfect...a 200:1 ratio of bad lumber to good is so much fun to sort through. I get all my concrete forms there.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

I have the scan barcode that is my account. I think I can bring back just about anything.... Not sure though.
        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Well,

I got impatience and decided to try and harden my SM seedlings, bad mistake, wind, sun, and cold temps have beaten my little babies. They are back inside getting nursed back to health. I might be begging, Gulf and SC for 2015 seeds and have to go to nursery this year for maters if they don't survive.............
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell,
            We have a similar problem. My tomatoes are powering away, but the snow peas we transplanted have died because it's still too hot for them. We grow vegetables in the winter here so excessive heat at the start is often a problem.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Russell,
              I started mine in my sun room, just like last year. But, a good bit earlier. I don't have anything but the natural light coming form the windows. Waiting on warmer weather, and then the spring storms, these girls grew very tall and gangly! I guess that they were searching for a little more than just a little early morning and late afternoon sunlight. To make a long story short, mine are suffering from the shock of the "cold/hot cruel world". I will build a small hot house for next years .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Russell,
                I started mine in my sun room, just like last year. But, a good bit earlier. I don't have anything but the natural light coming form the windows. Waiting on warmer weather, and then the spring storms, these girls grew very tall and gangly! I guess that they were searching for a little more than just a little early morning and late afternoon sunlight. To make a long story short, mine are suffering from the shock of the "cold/hot cruel world". I will build a small hot house for next years .
                We had snow last Wed. here again so plants are inside but they are growing.
                The ones under plastic are peppers and only about 5 micro leaves so far. But the tomatoes are starting....

It may get to 60f today so I will take them out for some real air.

Gulf, if you want your plants to stay strong have an ossolating fan blow on them from a distance the will get stronger stems.
                Last edited by mrchipster; 05-06-2014, 06:18 AM.
                Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  We had snow last Wed. here again so plants are inside but they are growing.
                  The ones under plastic are peppers and only about 5 micro leaves so far. But the tomatoes are starting....

It may get to 60f today so I will take them out for some real air.

Gulf, if you want your plants to stay strong have an ossolating fan blow on them from a distance the will get stronger stems.
                  I agree, but they will also need much more light than I gave them this year. They were having to reach for it. I think that is what made them so tall and gangly. But, a combination the fan, the natural sun light, + the warmth (hot house) should do the trick .

Comment

Well after watching all the great builds going on I finally decided kick it in the @3s and start the copper cladding of my dome. I first repaired all the render cracking with an elastomeric cement product used for chimney crowns. Then divided the dome into equal distant segments like an orange. I had to do a geometry refresher to find the true apex of the dome so the segments would be the same. I several practice bends with old heating duct work before I tried the copper. Glad I did, it took 4 trials to develop the right kind of bending and slotting to make the first course fit. I am using a 48" Malco bench brake as well as a 12" hand bender. So I finished out the day with my first 36" long copper base course. Also my San Maranzo tomatoes have blossoms but my guess there cousins with Gulf and Stonecutter already have tomatoes on the vine
                    Russell

Comment

Oh cool! looking forward to watching this one!
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I can not wait to see this miracle in the making.
                        Chip

Comment

Go Russell, you know chopper as it ages ends with a greenish patina to it.

But that will look great just simply bewdiful
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Where did you get your tomato plant for san maranzo tomatoes?
                            Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Russell,
                              I am looking forward to the copper cladding. I have a 10' break for aluminum, and I get to play on my brother's metal roofing break from time to time. So, I am watching with great interest.

Our growing season is well under way. It is already hot down here, so the maters have really taken off. I have a few that should ripen in the next couple of weeks. I have several plants set out in various ways. Here are two that I am training to grow inside concrete reinforcement wire. Hopefully, without having to tie them up .

Click image for larger version

Name:	maters2024A 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	588.8 KB
ID:	304680

Click image for larger version

Name:	maters2024A 001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	931.0 KB
ID:	304681
                              Last edited by Gulf; 05-31-2014, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Gulf,

I knew I should known better not of posted a pic of my measly SM plants knowing full well that their southern cousins would be ten times as big and already fruiting. Those are some might fine looking maters you got. At least I can say they're related.

I was able to complete the starter strip around the base of the dome for the first course copper shingles today. I did three more strips in 2 hours what took me 6 hours for one yesterday. Well worth the effort to do a trial run and get it all dialed in. Got the card board templates made for the shingles on the first course. My hands can only handle so much tin snipping before they cramp up. By the time I am done with the copper cladding I will be able to rip telephone books in half.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X