Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Did anyone here pick those up? How many do I need?

Comment

I havent heard that anyone has but you can go and check it out. It is right off 1300 south and the freeway. It just depends on how large you want your ovento be. I had about 8 boxes and used all of them. I would suggest getting more than you think you need just in case you need extra.
      Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

so how many in a box? If there are not enough can I buy the same locally?

Comment

will read too 9..... f I obtained one that reads too 1200c covers all possibilities perfect for my needs
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
            will read too 9..... f I obtained one that reads too 1200c covers all possibilities perfect for my needs
            1200c? Is that an oven or a foundry?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
              Salt Lake Area builders, I was at Restore on 500 W 1300 S today 7/25/14. They have a pallet of insulating fire brick plus two bags of refractory mortar. They want $2 each for the insulating brick not sure what they want for the mortar. I was going to buy the whole lot but my man cave cannot handle anymore stuff. The IFB is a great option for floor insulation vs CaSi or V or Pcrete. If it works for you act quickly though. This is over half off what you could get insulating bricks for. Note: IFB are not suitable for the dome, only under the floor fire brick.
              Apologies for the silly question, but I was under the impression that floor and dome were all built using the same brick, and it was simply a refractory brick...? Can you expand on this as it has thrown me a little...

Comment

The Nubee laser gun on sale again on the big "A" store. $13.88 with this coupon code 85006OFF. Free ship with Prime. Will read up to 932 F. For all you new builders this is a great price. I pick up a backup last time they went on sale.
                Thanks for the info, Russell. I will check it out. I was about to start shopping for one. Much appreciated.
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Mullins,

You are correct that the floor and and dome are same material refractory brick, ie typically medium duty. The insulating brick I was mentioning, also known as IFB, could be used under the refractory floor brick as a means on insulating the oven floor from the concrete base hearth in lieu of CaSi board insulation or V-crete or P-Crete. Hope this explains your question. BTW, SLC builders, the bricks are long gone.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    Mullins,

You are correct that the floor and and dome are same material refractory brick, ie typically medium duty. The insulating brick I was mentioning, also known as IFB, could be used under the refractory floor brick as a means on insulating the oven floor from the concrete base hearth in lieu of CaSi board insulation or V-crete or P-Crete. Hope this explains your question. BTW, SLC builders, the bricks are long gone.
                    OK, thanks. Understand now.

Unrelated matter, but to pick a few brains... I am going to Rome and Tuscany for 10 days form 27th August (family wedding). Any suggestions on what I should check put there, or pick up there if possible? Any recommendations on restaurants, stuffing flour in my luggage on the way home or San Marzano seeds etc!? Anything else (apart from sticking my head in a few ovens, to get some ideas before I begin my build?)

Comment

It has been a while since I posted anything on the copper cladding. I got burned out with all the hand forming of the shingles that the few days off turned into a few months off. But I had a neighborhood pizza party this weekend and got re-enegized again. Started the lap joints on the outer arch. Butt kickers, each one unique and requires that a paper template then cut fit, cut fit, cut fit. But getting there.

First attempt at using a cast iron skillet in the WFO, cook a peach cobbler on day two after the pizza party (450 F). I just can't understand why everything that tastes really good is not good for you.............the recipe said something like 500 calories per serving then we topped with vanilla ice cream to boot, but drank light beer, LOL......
                      Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                        It has been a while since I posted anything on the copper cladding. I got burned out with all the hand forming of the shingles that the few days off turned into a few months off. But I had a neighborhood pizza party this weekend and got re-enegized again. Started the lap joints on the outer arch. Butt kickers, each one unique and requires that a paper template then cut fit, cut fit, cut fit. But getting there.

First attempt at using a cast iron skillet in the WFO, cook a peach cobbler on day two after the pizza party (450 F). I just can't understand why everything that tastes really good is not good for you.............the recipe said something like 500 calories per serving then we topped with vanilla ice cream to boot, but drank light beer, LOL......
                        I think that is the same reason ribs taste so good!
                        Oh BTW nice heirloom tomato from the garden, weighed in at over 1.5 lbs.
                        And this is good for you.
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 09-01-2014, 03:50 PM.
                        Chip

Comment

Those are big heirlooms, my SM are doing well this year, still some blossom end rot but not bad, may 10%. More than I can eat. Been blanching and freezing for sauce. Wonder if PCMR is going to open this year???
                          They are the most flavorful tomato I have ever eaten. I will be pulling out some seeds, are you interested in some?

?? what is up about PCMR ?? its the lawsuit going bad?
                          Chip

Comment

It has turned into a pis#$g match, neither side is bending. but they need to do something soon or the everyone will lose. Cummings need to post a several million dollar bond to use the slopes, but he also owns the base facilities, so Tasiker can't open the slopes either without Cumming's facilities, what a cluster. We will see.

I will take a few heirloom seeds, say a 5-10, I have a really small garden.
                            Russell,

Yes I just did a little research, WOW this would be devastating to Park City for years even if the standoff only happens for this season.

I will save some seeds for you.
                            Chip

Comment

You have made a very interesting cooper cover for your oven. You produced items themselves? Or in your region, you can buy ready-made?

Comment

I made all the singles by hand from sheet copper using a hand bender and a sheet metal brake but 95% formed with the hand bender. PS Really like your timber work on your patio deck, nice craftman work.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X