X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Simply amazing Russ, great work
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

I can't say anymore than has already been said already, but WOW . I am very much, looking forward to you finale for the vent cover and the flu.

I haven't worked with copper to a large extent. Just as a flashing from time to time and as roofs over a couple of bay windows. In each of those cases, we just installed, and left things to age naturally. Are you going to use any of the recomendadions on the net for speeding up the process?
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hey Russell have you done the front landing yet?
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
          Thanks for the kudos.

Joe,

Going to use homebrew aging recipe on ammonia, miracle grow and yogurt. See if it works
          I'd try the homebrew on something besides your masterpiece and see how it works... test it for a year! By that time, your dome will have naturally changed to a less reflective aged surface. There is so much "crap" floating around in the air right now, cannot do much more to make it oxidize quicker.
          Anyway, what's the rush?

Have you seen any strange lights at night criss-crossing the sky? They probably think your dome is a juvenile ufo that got lose and needs to be brought back into the fold.

Comment

Hey, I just wanted to mention that I enjoy your posts and love your oven. I'm here in American Fork and starting up a build. I want to do a 42" corner oven like yours and while I have read the posts, seen the pictures, and downloaded the manual, I'm wondering if you have any global recommendations to make? I am a bit overwhelmed by all the alternatives, can I follow the manual pretty closely?

TIA

Comment

Tia,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for looking at my build. I actively participate in the forum as a way to pay forward for all the help I received during my build (which is still going on, gotta be one of the longest builds on the forum).

Here's my recommendations:

1. I spent a tremendous amount of time cutting my dome bricks to fit "perfect" on all sides. Just spend your energies, making the inner dome face, pretty, tight, and joint staggers. Let mortar be you friend on the back side of the dome. Use your time elsewhere.

2. If you enclosing your oven, no need to cut the floor to fit inside the dome, just run the floor bricks proud and set the dome on top. If doing an igloo the you will probably need to cut the floor round.

3. Don't be cheap on insulation, insulate, insulate, insulate is the quote of the day (floor too).

4. Do a tapered inner arch. It is worth the effort and make the dome tie-in much easier.

5. The FB manual is a good baseline but it is dated. So many innovations have taken place since the manual was published. Use the guidance of the forum to help you.

Yell if you need any advice, I am a really good sidewalk superintendent.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Good advice, boiled down to a few key facts. For me, I think cutting the bricks into a circle inside the dome was a good introduction to brick cutting, and i might add... make yourself an "IT". It will help you in more ways than you can count.
                Chip

Comment

But make it right I will add chip. I.e arm of IT must be centred on brick face.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Putted around with the cap for the dome. Originally it was going be my temp cap until I did my final top works, it still may be the temp cap but it turned out nice so it may be permanent. This gave me ideas for the copper sleeve over the SS chimney.
                    Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
                      Thanks for the kudos.

Joe,

Going to use homebrew aging recipe on ammonia, miracle grow and yogurt. See if it works
                      Never heard that one. I've always heard of vinegar, salt and ammonia.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

or, you could just pee on it. Look it up. It's sposta work
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                          Never heard that one. I've always heard of vinegar, salt and ammonia.
                          If you delete the salt, it makes a great glass cleaner.

Pee might work, but on an oven? Why not just let it age on its own? Best results would be to degrease it first so you don't have ugly fingerprint marks that age quicker. Oil and wax remover used for prepping for paint might clean it nicely.

Comment

Here's the dome, complete cap and all. Going to enjoy the rest of the day chilling and relaxing. Having a pizza party tomorrow for the SWMBO's B-day.
                            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM.
                            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Here's the dome is complete cap and all. Going to enjoy the rest of the day chilling and relaxing. Having a pizza party tomorrow for the SWMBO's B-day.
                              Don't try to fool us! Chilling and relaxing? Bet you'll be tinkering before long with something! Got all your tools made? How about a place to neatly display and store them? And that detail for covering the stainless chimney....but that is a ball of worms (once you start covering, where does it end? storm flashing...and how do you keep it all in proportion to the beauty you have now?) If you are at all like the rest of us tinkers...mind never rests even while sleeping!

Have a great party and best wishes to your wife on her birthday!

Comment

Russell,

Would you be so kind as to publish the specific specs/product of foamglas you used under your oven? It seems like they have several different types and it may help to narrow it down quickly. Also, did you work through a distributor that has on-line presence? I haven't found a local one...yet. Thanks for your assistance! Carl

Comment

Working...
                                X