Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Pat's 42" WFO build begins...I think!

Pat,

Not sure if this tip is late but I ran across it and thought it might help with the arch transition for for you. It is from MrChipster.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

completed 5th course and have 6th cut ready to mortar in. heat stop is pretty amazing, been making it like a thick peanut butter and it has been holding the brick in place without forms or tool, hope this last a couple more courses. noticed drying off the bricks a little after the water soak helps them stay in contact better too.

made the form for the arches, asking a friend for some help on monday to get the arches going, hopefully we will have these complete next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	290613

Name:	IMAG0275.jpg
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	290614

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	290615

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Sorry, I meant full width. Here is a picture from JCG31's thread on that I meant to say. PS mortar is your friend too....

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Hi Russell, not sure what you mean by taper full brick? I have been cutting bricks in half, then beveling to prevent inverted V when facing oven. I have not angled them up to this point, I did try this when I first started and just took too long and made lots of mistakes. Since I seen some just use grinders, I thought I would split the difference and get a wet saw, using just for bevels and filling in mortar for back areas, is this not ok to do?

I am a little concerned that without tapering and keeping the bricks tight agaisnt each other, I will lose thermal mass (using mortar to fill in back/and back part of sides.
    Last edited by irelande5; 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

I see a wet saw in the foreground, why not taper the full brick rather than cut into 1/2s or 1/3s at least for a few more courses? Somewhere along the way, unless you bevel you will start to see the inverted V and you will have to make some decisions. I would use full bricks as long as possible - IMHO. I was able to get to course 7 which is about course 8/9 using (standard 2.5" brick) using full bricks, although tapered and beveled. Good luck with what ever works for you.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 08-01-2012, 06:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Mortared the 3rd course in and dry stacked the 4th, looks like I am down to rhythm of cut/fit one day, and mortar/clean up the next, that may change due to the incline getting steeper.

Not sure on when I am supposed to start using 3rd bricks instead of 1/2 bricks, any suggestions?

Think I will start 5th course, leaving area around arch empty, then start on entry arch. I have been procrastinating on arch, looks like its going to be difficult.

Take care all!

Name:	IMAG0267.jpg
Size:	575.9 KB
ID:	290593

Name:	IMAG0268.jpg
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	290594

Name:	IMAG0269.jpg
Size:	478.9 KB
ID:	290595

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Russell, wish I could have got a hold of larger brick like that, it would have been the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Need to ask the WFO group on this one, I used a much wider brick, 5.25" vs std 4.5" and 3" thick vs 2.5" and I also tapered and bevel all my courses so my answer will be skewed for your build.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Russell, appreciate your vote of confidence!! It motivates me!

At what point do you think I should start using smaller bricks, 1/3 size, can I make it to 5 or 6 course with half bricks?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Pat,

Doing well with just using a mason's string!!!

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Hi Jim, thanks for the compliment. I have seen threads that state between 3 and 6 degrees. But I am not that accurate or talented. I have a mason string dead center, i use it to determine pitch of brick as it faces inward, I use normal shims to hold that pitch till mortared. When the next brick is placed at same pitch, I meadow the inverted v roughly, then use that to bevel top sides of brick. Sure there is a better way to do it, but it has been going fairly well using this approach. Take care pat

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Looks great! How have you determined the angle on the top side of the brick? (Is that the bevel?) Are you using standard wood shims, or did you custom cut them? Can't wait to see what comes next.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Here are the latest, entry/landing is in along with 2nd course, 3rd course is dry stacked ready to be mortared in. Having a hard time making the cuts to tie into vent from courses, but will try better.

I seen some made 3 high, others 4 high on bricks for arch, I went 4 high. Will start arch this week, or maybe 3/4 course, not sure yet. A little concerned on arches and how to bring it all together, complicated by the widened inlay of entry, should be intresting...

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0262.jpg
Size:	514.3 KB
ID:	290539

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	290540

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	290541

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	290542

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks to John, Dennis, and Chip I finally completed the second course. If I was to do it again, I would have angled the 1/2 soldier course I put in, would have made the 1st angle less sharp on 2nd course.

The bevel is a little tricky, and I have been cutting it on each brick as I dry stack. I had to cut out the angle for now. I know I could save a lot of mortar, but I have very limited time to complete this project, wife goes back to school in august, we have a 13 mn old, and a new one due in Jan! Needless to say its going to get real busy. If I was better at this I would cut the angles, but it looks like lots of folks did not and worked out well, just a lot more mortar. I am making sure I have brick to brick contact in oven. Couple of bricks that come together do not have a straight mortar line, really bugs me, but its in and solid.

All I know is there are some real smart/talented people on this forum. Dennis was giving me the math for the bevels and angles, it was too much for me, just dont get it enough to be good at it. Will post pics. Thanks all

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

Thanks Russel, have been to your links more than once, outstanding build!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X