Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Well after lurking around for a year in 2009, I was set to make my oven...had plans...had so many of the pioneers of this web sites pages bookmarked and indexed I thought I was set. Then changed my mind on where in the yard to put it like 7 times. then got busy with the three kids and soccer, football, and wrestling.. now I find myself three years later still having pizza night with the kids using a pizza stone in the GE oven!

That's been bugging the heck out of me for the last three years. Always lurking in the back of my mind nagging at me. So I was driving on the road with a friend of mind near Berkley Ca and saw a truck about 200-250 yards ahead of me with a familiar shape tucked in the back his truck with some Coleman camp chairs and stuff. I told my friend Tony, "Hey, that guys got a pizza oven in the back of his truck!" Tony said ..."what are you talking about?" I told him to speed up and showed him what was obviously a igloo type pizza oven.He asked how I could see that from so far away and I told him that I have looked at so many threads on FOrno Bravo that I recognize the oven like I would my kids!

so I told him the story of how I had been trying to get started building this oven but haven even broken ground in three years.

Well the wait is over. I solidified the pan for my oven and rented a concrete saw and cut away my patio this morning. It is going to be a corner build, 42" and Im stoked!! (no pun intended)

so here is the start of the beginning of my oven build. Have patience as I am not sure as to how fast i will get the thing done. I'm shooting for end of September? Oct?

Don't know if I will have anything fancy or groundbreaking like many on the forum, but want to say thank you for all that you guys have shared. I know there are many people lurking like me and gaining from the knowledge and the continued input of those that have finished their ovens.

Thank you! I would not have the confidence I have right now without your posts and pictures.

Re: Chirobuggy's 42inch oven build

Why did you cut your patio? You already had your foundation, that would have saved you time and money.

Comment

I was not sure how thick the patio was because it was two different pours spanning 5-6 years. different contractors and I didnt trust the existing foundation. Turns out it was about 3.75- 4 inches with rebar at 16 inches. Im glad I tore it up. Rather be sure than to have issues come up later

Comment

Will be watching your build. The fun is just beginning and not like Utah you can work year round.........
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks utahbeehiver hope I dont dissapoint. Ive got many pages of your build in my bookmarks. I love your corner build. Thats what I am trying to do.I have been following your build since the first post. Good work.

Comment

My bug started as a desire to have a Rumford fireplace off of the patio and developed into a WFO after finding this site. Best of luck on your build. You seem to have a great location for it. "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" is my corner build.

Since you have access from the sides I would consider a wood bin access from the side as mine (under the oven entry) is a little hard to e into. You could make it more open to access your wood. Still working on oven and landscaping after 14 months.

Two 12 pound beef briskets in the oven right now they have been in for 8 hours at about 250. Just taste tested one piece and they need about another 3 hours to get to falling apart level.

Chip
            Last edited by mrchipster; 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM.
            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
              Two 12 pound beef briskets in the oven right now they have been in for 8 hours at about 250. Just taste tested one piece and they need about another 3 hours to get to falling apart level.

Chip
              At the point that I am in my build, I consider that as Cruel and Unusual Punishment . But, as I think back on what the Warden use to say where I once worked "It may be cruel but, it ain't all that unusual .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

You did the right thing with the tearout. Good luck and enjoy the anticipation!

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  At the point that I am in my build, I consider that as Cruel and Unusual Punishment . But, as I think back on what the Warden use to say where I once worked "It may be cruel but, it ain't all that unusual .
                  Well... you are down river from me on the mighty Mississip maybe I can send some brisket on a raft

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Nice...I would love some brisket right now.. thanks for the input to all of you guys.. man I cant wait!!!!!!!!!

a buddy of mine dropped off the calsil board and the insulating blanket from the "big Store" "pro bono" as well as some chicken wire. see attachments.

John. you definitely get the first pizza and delivery too.
                    Last edited by chirobuggy; 07-31-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

did i say two boxes of each for free? 200 bricks on Monday too. just need heatstop 50 and I should be good.... Thanks John

Comment

Wish I had a friend like that. I used that brand CalSi on my build and it set me back a ben franklin, nice score. PS might want to consider home brew but with all the freebies you have the moola to splurge on heat stop 50
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

That what I was thinking Russell! he is checking on the Heatstop 50 now... I will find out next week.

Comment

If I remember correctly the Heatstop is 2 powder components. Not bad or good, I just mention it because a few have not added the 2 powders together before mixing in the water and as I remember the 2 work together to harden...

Chris

Comment

@ scchris,

Got two bags of Hetstop50 dont really know about mixing yet. Does any others know if you need to mix two dry ingredients(heatstop50 and another dry mix) and water for the Heatstop50 to harden?

On the other hand I have been slackin' but have poured the new slab, extra rebar and 6 inches of concrete also put in a drain inside of the slab for water that may happen to get in or when cleaning out the underside of the stand.

set and glued the blocks (5 blocks high as some say they wish the oven floor was higher so they didnt have to bend so much to look in...Im 5'11" so figured five blocks was better), made angle iron tray for opening (lintel ?) and the stand is done!!

Next is the hearth. I am planning on a four inch concrete hearth and I have enough CalSil insulation for 4 inches of insulation under the cooking floor but dont know if I should just use two inches. (everyone says more insulation is better right?)

Heres some updated Pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X