Michigan Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Build

Has anyone ever seen one of these? I was cleaning out my Dad's garage this spring and came across this. The person who had the house before him left it....over twenty years ago. My Dad thought it was a rock tumbler and the guy was really into rock polishing. I knew what is was when I saw it and thougth I would see if the motor still worked....sure enough it works great. I have been using it a lot. Too small for mixing for a pad but great for mortor, and filling the block cavities. What a neat little mixer....does about a 60 pound bag at a time....

Comment

On Saturday I got the base prepped for pouring the hearth. Some things of note: You will see the two flues coming through the hearth for the fireplace chimney. You will also see a PVC pipe coming throught the hearth. This is intended to be a passage way for low voltage lighting wires as I have run them to the base for accent lighting. I made this passage a little larger so that it could also be used for any other items I may think of during the process. Remember that I will have access to the back of the lower base through my walk in storage area. I have also run a gas line to this structure so I could do some gas lighting or something if I choose....you never know. Finally, you will notice two angle irons protruding out the front of the hearth. This will serve as mounts for a "floating" fireplace mantel which will me made of granite.

Comment

Picked up the cement mixer and ready to go to work. I had some blocks to fill along with pouring the 4 inch pad. According to the bag it would take 30 60 Pounders. I had 8 left over from before so I figured I would be good with 30. I was wrong. I used the extra 8 plus I had to go out and get an extra 10....mid pour... I poured from the mixer into 5 gallon buckets and hoisted them up onto the hearth. What a great workout! I didn't have any help so the cement started to fire before I was ready....that along with the delay of having to get extra bags made it a bit tricky. The finish was not perfect but it was level and flat....I guess that is all that matters.

Comment

Got back into my project over the holiday weekend. Got my Insulation down, the oven floor laid, my arch form build and in place, My IT built and positioned and the first course set. I feel like it was a productive weekend and it is starting to look like something.

Question.... Since I set the insulation board I have been covering it for fear that moisture would damage the insulation. True?

Comment

Today I finished the first course and completed the arch.

Question: As I move to the second course I have a decision to make if I am going to try and cut each brick to get a "Les-Like" tight fit or if I just go with simply using half bricks and lots of mortar. I only have a 10" wet saw. I know this has been bandered about on this board but I get the feeling most just use half bricks and it will be okay from a structural perspective. Anyone have any advice for me? BTW....it is September now and I live in Michigan....so I am really trying to get this project wrapped up by Halloween......but I have invested a significant amount of $ and time to this and I don't want to skimp either. If it really makes a difference I would rather tarp it up for the winter if I don't finish it and complete it in the spring.....thoughts?

Comment

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

I was able to use a 10" wet saw to make the individual cuts. It does make the build significantly slower. I was only able to pound out one chain a day (I was admittedly very slow). My cracks are minimal, and I have no regrets. Having said that, no one ever looks inside my oven. Many builders use half cut bricks (perhaps 1/3 as you get to the upper rings) with no problems. Just be sure to really stagger the vertical joints. That seems to be when most builders get into trouble with significant cracks.

As far as the insulation, it shouldn't get wet. A little wet mortar splashing on it is OK, but cover it at night from the rain until you get it permanently enclosed.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Is there any reason why your hearth brick layer extends so far from under the dome walls ?

Comment

No....I just ran them wild when I laid it out. I plan to cut them back so I can insulate properly.

Comment

Working away at dome construction. Got through the 4th course and going pretty smoothly so far. No major issues yet. Love using the IT instead of a form. Really like the ability to clean the inside as I go by using the IT. I opted for using the half brick without tapering or beveling the edges in the interest of time. So far, I am not dissapointed. However, I understand gaps do nothing but get bigger from here on so I will monitor it and see what I can put up with.

Comment

Originally posted by szv9n5 View Post
                        Has anyone ever seen one of these? I was cleaning out my Dad's garage this spring and came across this. The person who had the house before him left it....over twenty years ago. My Dad thought it was a rock tumbler and the guy was really into rock polishing. I knew what is was when I saw it and thougth I would see if the motor still worked....sure enough it works great. I have been using it a lot. Too small for mixing for a pad but great for mortor, and filling the block cavities. What a neat little mixer....does about a 60 pound bag at a time....
                        Made by MAN-U-FAB ? 3025 Bailey Road, Newport, MN 55055

The still sell a complete line of small mixers.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

Made more progress on my dome over the past couple of days. I lost a couple of brick seam staggers...I expect some cracking for that mistake.

Comment

Once I got past the 5th course the slope of the dome started to make it hard to hold the bricks in place until the mortar cured enough to hold it. I made these clips with a water bottle filled with sand and water. Seemed to work pretty good. Given the creative talents on this board I am sure I am not the only one to try this but thought I would pass it along anyway. It is a bad feeling to watch your brick slide off into the dome!

Comment

This is actually a takeoff of something Gulf or Tscar referred to in his build where a brick mason was building the humongous cisterns using a similar method. Making good headway. Just try and mimimize the potato chips (narrow brick slivers). This was a tip Tscar gave me early in my build.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                This is actually a takeoff of something Gulf or Tscar referred to in his build where a brick mason was building the humongous cisterns using a similar method. Making good headway. Just try and mimimize the potato chips (narrow brick slivers). This was a tip Tscar gave me early in my build.
                                It was Tscar,
                                I just thought it was ingenious and something that I would try, if there is ever a next time around .
                                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X