Michigan Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Build

Thanks Russell. I appreciate any feedback. I am a real newbie to this and decided to give it a shot....I laid the first brick of my life when I started this project. I cannot believe how addicting this build is....and I am glad to hear others find it that way also....I was starting to think there was something wrong with me....lol.

Thanks to everyone who provides feedback....you don't know how much it helps someone who is doing this for the first time.

Comment

Your zipping along! Looks great.

Comment

Yes it is addicting and you have a whole gang of WFO crazies just like you. Keep on plugging along and you will be cooking pies in no time.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

The Dome is Closed! Put in the keystone last night (you can tell by the look on my face that I was not sure it would fit). Great feeling to have it closed up! Now....on to the vent. I have significant challenges here because I have to vent the oven and the fireplace below it. Should be interesting.

-Steve

Comment

Congrats, nice feeling to close the top........
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looks great and thanks for sharing your experiences! I am way behind you and learning from your work.
              Earth's crammed with heaven, But only he who sees takes off his shoes - E. B. B.

Comment

Wow! That has to be one of the fastest builds I've ever seen! Great job, Speedy!
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Hi Steve,
                  Please show the fireplace.

Comment

Thanks Mike. I am trying to beat the wet/cold weather.....but still trying to do a quality job.

Laurentius - The attached picture shows the firebox. Above the firebox there is a "smoke chamber" that I hope will catch the smoke. Then there are two flues on either side of this chamber protruding up through the harth on the sides of what will be the vent landing walls. You can see them in this picture. At some point they will come together as one flue and out the chimney stack. There will be another flue next to it for the oven....learned from this board not to combine them. Not sure the fireplace will draw properly but if it does not, I ran a gas line to the structure and will just use a gas log set. I have not seen many of this design so I am really interested to see if I can make it work. I will keep you all posted. I did put some smoke in the firebox and it seemed to flow up through the two flues...may be a different story will a full fire though....Thanks for asking...input always welcome!

Comment

You'll be firing pies in no time! Looks awesome. Where in Michigan are ya?

Comment

Thanks Capt....I am in Macomb Twp. Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by szv9n5 View Post
                          Thanks Capt....I am in Macomb Twp. Where are you?
                          In Oakland County, Commerce Twp. As soon as I get back in town, I'll post some pics of my build.

Comment

Made a little more progress. Finished the vent landing and attached the chimney. I think I am getting close to my curing fires. The dome has been done for about two weeks. The vent arch and chimney has been done for about 1 week. Do you guys think that is long enough to start the curing fires? I plan to do the 7 day plan James outlined. In the meantime I am going to start lining my firebox with the firebrick....that should keep me busy for awhile...

Comment

Well, I decided to go ahead with my curing fires today. Did the first early this AM with just paper. No problems yet.....had some smoke come out the oven door but I am hoping that is because it was not hot enough to create a real draw....also, the chimney will eventually be a little taller...that should help also.

Comment

Bought a Craftsman High Temp InfraRed Thermometer today. Could not find one that would go higher than 500 degrees at The Depot (in store). Saw many online but wanted it today. So far, I like the Craftsman....very helpful during the curing fires to track the temps to ensure I don't get the dome too hot....easy to do. Anyway...I think this thing was about $65. Like any other new toy I have been taking the temp of everything around the house....Max the dog is 96 degrees...

Comment

Working...
                                X