Michigan Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Build

I was thinking the other day about when I was reading this site prior to starting my build. The posts I appreciated the most were the little tips and ideas. To that end, here is a picture of the funnel I made to fill by block cores. Probably not a gotta have to get the job done....but it sure did come in handy. And it only cost be about $3 to make. Basically an old bucket, cut a hole in the bottom and attach a toilet flange to it. Worked perfectly!

Comment

While my dome is curing I started bricking the inside of my fireplace firebox. I am hoping this keeps my mind off rushing the curing process to get to the first pizza!

Comment

My finished entry (the finished arch is not built yet) will have a granite floor leading to an air gap thermal break before the brickvent landing. To make my granite level to the brick vent floor I poured a small concrete slab to set my granite on allowing space for mortar. The granite in the picture is just a test piece to gauage the granite thickness. The final piece will extend out more and have a slight overhang.

Comment

Curing fires went great yesterday and today. Was able to do the first three (100, 200 and 300 degree burns) yesterday. Got two more in today (400 and 500 degree burns). Will probably do the 600 tomorrow and the 700 Friday. So far, no signs of cracks...BTW....I have not added the dome insulation blanket yet...I think that has helped the oven cool down faster and allow me to do multiple cures in one day. Also, the infared thermometer has been great to ensure I am getting a full cool down between burns and helping me know when I am reaching the desired temp without going over.....helping me get a feel for the oven. Very glad I bought the thermometer.

Comment

OK guys....I am jumping back in to provide an update. Sorry I have not been keeping the updates coming. I am now pretty much finished with my project. Complete it the first week of June. Have been having a ton a fun using it. I absolutely love it. So, I believe when I left off I was just starting the curing fires. They went very well and no majory cracks developed.

Comment

After the curing I finished bricking the firebox. I laid the brick in a herringbone pattern. This was significant challenge for me. Remember...I have never laid one brick in my life before this project. If you are thinking of making an oven just take your time and consult this board. You can do it if I can.

Comment

After I completed the firebox I blocked in the top section to build the structure to enclose the oven. I painted the firebox black....still not sure if I made the right choice on that or not. Harder to see the brickwork when painted. The roof will eventually be granite slabs but for the winter I just made some plywood wrapped in plastic tarps to protect it the oven from the Michigan winter. Worked pretty well. The structure is taking shape at this point.

Comment

Over the winter months I made the heat door. I cut a piece of plate steel, create a cavity to fit some left over insulation board and finished it off with an outside wood, handles and temp guage. Painted all the metal with high temp Bar-b-que paint. The door works fantastic! Even on cold Michigan winter nights the oven would be 300+ the next day.

Comment

Here is the fireplace in action.

Comment

Once Spring broke I connected the decorative lighting.

Comment

Then I fit the granite roof.

Comment

Next, I finished the granite and set all the cultured stone. I took the one middle stone to a Tombestone place and they cut the name and year in for me.

Comment

I added the mantel. I thought a wood mantel would soften up all the stone and granite. I bought this from a reclaimed timber place near Flint, MI. It was called something like "Second Chance Lumber". This piece was a beam in a Northern Michigan barn built over 100 years ago. The notches in the front are where the roof rafters would sit. Makes for a great conversation piece. As if we need more to talk about than our great ovens!

Comment

Finished oven at night...

Comment

Very interesting build. I have seen lots of discussion of a combined fireplace/oven, but nobody who cracked the design as well as you seem to have. Do the flues meet at some point above your entry arch, or do you have 3 exits out the top of the housing?

I am wondering because it seems like it would be a cool thing to be able to pre-heat your flue by using the fireplace.
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X