• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurentius
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    My daughter caught a 3" scorpion in her room this morning. I asked her why she was taking it outside let it go, and after I listened to her liberalism-of-youth reasons why it had a right to live, I told her to let it sting her first then let it go. She squashed it.
    T.

Thats sick! They don't sting you because they're evil.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

My daughter caught a 3" scorpion in her room this morning. I asked her why she was taking it outside let it go, and after I listened to her liberalism-of-youth reasons why it had a right to live, I told her to let it sting her first then let it go. She squashed it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Origional qute by Kurtloup: Thought about using the interior below the dome for storage, but decided I'd just use the area under the landing to store wood.
    You are right about that, it is too far to retrieve wood. I hope to use a large drawer under mine for peel, tools, doors etc.

TScar,
    I was on a rig near Goliad many years ago. They had warned us about scorpions. One morning, before work, I shook a 2 to 3" scorpion out of my boot . I'm glad that I listened . I hate critters

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Thought about using the interior below the dome for storage, but decided I'd just use the area under the landing to store wood.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I am just confused, but I am sure it is clear in your mind, so I will just say, "Looking Good!".

Gulf, you know how the bugs and beasties are down here, I made my wood storage area small and isolated just to avoid a scorpion bite or a wasp nest.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    I was able to get more work done today and yesterday. The base is mostly finished minus adding rebar and filling the blocks with concrete. The bricks will help support the blocks below the landing. I'll add steel angle also. That was my first effort brick laying. I think it came out ok. The variations in the salvaged bricks made it interesting keeping the heights consistent.

I am a little confused by you not utilizing then space under the oven, I am watching with great intersest, though. I do wish that I had used the round base for my Pompeii . Keep us posted !

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I was able to get more work done today and yesterday. The base is mostly finished minus adding rebar and filling the blocks with concrete. The bricks will help support the blocks below the landing. I'll add steel angle also. That was my first effort brick laying. I think it came out ok. The variations in the salvaged bricks made it interesting keeping the heights consistent.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Thanks. Yep, we mixed the concrete 2 bags at a time in a wheelbarrow. I was waiting for the rebar comment. The rebar is about 2.5" off the ground. I had not placed it on a few broken bricks when I took the photo. I'm not even sure if they were wired together at that point. My brother's labor was payback for me installing aluminum floors in his boat last weekend. That actually took twice as long. Glad we poured yesterday as it's raining now.

Leave a comment:

• ATK406
    replied

I didn't see a mixer in the background. I assume you mixed all that the old fashioned way...in a wheel barrow. Power to you. That's alot of work. Good thing you have a brother to count on...I don't know if you can pay for that kind of labor anymore.

When it comes time for your hearth pour, you'll want to make sure to raise the rebar off of the bottom by an inch or so. Concrete is much stronger under compression so you want your steel reinforcement just below the center of your slab.

Good Luck and hand your brother a beer.

Regards,
    AT

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Great job Kurt,
    It's good to get a little help the pours . Just a little advice on any future pours, though. If you will cut your stakes, even with or below the top of the form before you pour, it will make leveling and screeding easier.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

My brother called me last night saying he could help me pour the foundation in the morning before it rains tomorrow. Since I didn't have the rebar cut or all of the concrete on hand, I had to hustle last night to cut the rebar and make two runs to Home Depot for bags of concrete. I got up at 5:30 am to get things started before he got here at 6. We managed to pour 46 80 lbs bags of Quikrete by 8:15. I'm pleased because I thought it would take all morning.

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Kurt,

According to the data that you attach, it seems like Sproule WR-1200 board will lose heat at a faster rate than you would with FB board because Sproule WR-1200 has a higher % of conductive rate.

So, it all depends on how long you want to retain the heat from one fire.

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/FB_board.pdf

I got my insulation from this place in Houston, TX and their insulations blankets and board has the same spec. as the ones from FB's. http://www.ktrefractories.com/Cerami...FiberBoard.htm
    Last edited by banhxeo76; 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Hi Kurt,

You'll need 3 rolls of ceramic blankets and I would pass on the perlite board.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Well, I passed on the insulating fire brick. The guy that was selling them had them stored out in the weather. They were wet with mold on the ones most exposed. I stopped by the industrial insulating place and purchased a roll of ceramic blanket for $50 and a box of seven 12"x36"x2" Sproule WR-1200 perlite insulation board for less than $70 as they were out of calsil. Will the rated 1200 degree operating temp be a problem for the floor? Here is a link to the specs: http://www.iig-llc.com/pdfs/IIG-200-Sproule-WR-1200.pdf

I'll post pictures when I actually start building. All I have now is a hole dug in the ground that has been filled with water for three weeks. It rained again today.

Tu, I haven't bought a wet saw yet, but I have been checking Craigslist daily. I do have an abrasive cut off saw I can use if I want to deal with dust.
    Last edited by Kurtloup; 02-22-2013, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• eddieh70301
    replied

Kurt,
    When you are finisned with your build, could you post a couple of pictures?
    Thanks
    Eddie
    Who Dat!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X