• Kurtloup
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Thanks. I used 1/8" aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• irelande5
    replied

like that door, what material did you use?

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I made a few more things for next weekend, a rack for grilling oysters and a door that will hopefully allow smoking when I cook a small pig.

Leave a comment:

• Crawfish fest
    replied

I am going to do a ham for the Furman game.
    Thanks for the source on the metal work

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

B&C Sheetmetal in Denham Springs made the pan. I paid for it on Friday afternoon and it was finished on Monday. I haven't cooked a pig yet. Will do it in a few weeks. I plan to cook it butterflied, but I have no reference for the actual size. The smallest I have found in town is 15-20 lbs.
    Last edited by Kurtloup; 10-21-2013, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Crawfish fest
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Now that I have the insulated door completed, I'm closer to cooking a pig. Since I can't weld aluminum, I had a sheet metal shop make a drip pan that is 19" x 36". Last weekend, I welded a rack to fit in the pan allowing me to slide it out as one piece. I have expanded stainless steel which fits over the rack to hold the pig.

I was looking all over the net today for a drip pan to fit my oven to do a pig next weekend. I may get a tray made like this. A standard sheet pan is too wide.
    Have you cooked a pig yet?
    Will you have it butterflied?
    Thanks
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I made the chimney cap today out of steel and galvanized screen. It didn't appear to have a negative effect on the draw.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Now that I have the insulated door completed, I'm closer to cooking a pig. Since I can't weld aluminum, I had a sheet metal shop make a drip pan that is 19" x 36". Last weekend, I welded a rack to fit in the pan allowing me to slide it out as one piece. I have expanded stainless steel which fits over the rack to hold the pig.

Last edited by Kurtloup; 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I made the insulated door Sunday. I thought it would be difficult to bend the inner, upper section that mates to the arch, but it wasn't bad at all. Good thing I saved the form I used when building the brick arch. I tacked the 1/8" thick by 1.5" wide steel to one of the vertical sides. The steel bent fairly easily around the form. A few tack welds held it in place. I filled the cavity with the Thermo Gold board I used under the oven floor. The door seems to work well enough as the temp was 375 degrees tonight about 24 hours after firing. I plan to add gasket material around the lip.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Nice. Kebabs yummy

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Yesterday morning, I welded a kabob holder for a football game watching party last night. It worked great. I ordered the steel for an insulated door and a chimney cap on Friday. Since there was a minimum order, they will cut the steel to size. That will save me a lot of time.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Thanks, but Tu and Gulf lead the way before me.

Leave a comment:

• Crawfish fest
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    I'm in the process of sourcing fire bricks and what I have found through multiple phone calls and leads from two of the local forum members is two fire bricks are available within 75 miles of my house. I can get light duty Elgin Butler brick 5 miles from my house for $1.80 or Alsey medium duty in New Orleans for $2.15 and a tank of gas. I'll be using the oven more for pizza than bread baking, so it appears that the medium duty bricks are recommended from what I have read on the forum. Since I'd like to keep the build as inexpensive as possible, I am leaning towards vermiculite/cement insulation. However, in the big scheme of the build, the brick and insulation is a small cost. I'd appreciate any pros and cons of the two types of bricks and insulation. Thanks in advance.

Kurt
    I lucked up and happened to buy alsey bricks.
    I am headed to port allen to get my ceramic blanket, thanks to you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X