X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laurentius
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Curious? Which is she an authority on, Cracks or Character?

Leave a comment:

• geisen
    replied

Get your sourdough starter going and fire it up. Cracks add character.....just ask my wife.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Your video worked - it's pretty cool to watch isn't it? When you go full throttle (fires of hell), get a bottle of wine and a front row seat. Watching the soot burn to the floor is awesome the first time you see it.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Lit another fire tonight. That makes six curing fires. I think I am going to let it rip on the next one. I partially cleared the very top dome. Let's see if this video works.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Yeah, I was planning to use home brew for final coat. I used quikcrete base coat stucco this morning. I did see the quikcrete mix with fiberglass fibers. I may try that on the next level in lieu of the mesh. If all else fails, I'll brick over it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Oh well, can't seem to attach the video using my phone.
    Kurt,
    I actually saw the video this morning. But, it was linked to an album. I'm not sure if was your album or just links to similar
    videos.
    Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Should I consider using fiberglass mesh in the brown coat? The insulation was covered with chicken wire.
    I think you were planning on using home brew stucco. Quikcrete Scratch and Brown coat has some fibers in it. I found them when filtering the larger pea gravel out of the mix. I did not notice any cracking when I used it for my stucco layer. I did not use chicken wire. I used 1/2" mesh, but the chicken wire should be OK. Quikcrete also has a finish coat that has "crap loads" of fiber in it. It is white and will accept coloring very well. I did not use it as I was going to apply brick splits. One or two bags of the scratch and brown coat will probably get you to where you want to be since you have already applied one layer.

One tip that I found out on my dome for applying stucco to a compound curve. I used a 12" sheet rock taping knife to apply the stucco. They are pre-built with a curve in the blade. I did not use the handle when applying the stucco. I buttered the blade with the stucco and held each end of the blade while applying. Top down seemed to work best for me to keep the shape of the dome true.

EDIT: I'm enjoying your first cooks. I am pretty sure that I will be asking for recipes from you real soon .
    Last edited by Gulf; 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Put on the base coat of stucco on the dome today and noticed a few cracks already. Is this a big deal since I will be adding at least two more layers? Should I consider using fiberglass mesh in the brown coat? The insulation was covered with chicken wire.
    Last edited by Kurtloup; 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Oh well, can't seem to attach the video using my phone.
    Last edited by Kurtloup; 08-04-2013, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Curing fire number 5 was last night. Cooked sausages, roasted eggplant and garlic and made pita. The kids insisted on a pizza made with pita dough. It wasn't bad.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Curing fire number three this afternoon. I grilled skirt steak over the coals when the fire burned down.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Curing fire number two in the books. Threw peppers over the coals. Roasted pepper, corn and chicken soup tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Thanks, guys. I'm ready to start using it. I'm shooting for Labor Day weekend for the first pizza party.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Kurt, great looking oven. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Nice looking oven!

Leave a comment:

Working...