X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurtloup
    replied
    Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

The front of the oven is 90% complete. The first curing fire is burning. Won't be long now.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Good, I have at least half a bag left. Dark clouds still around. Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Is it acceptable to use type s lime for home brew stucco? Thanks.
    Yes it is Kurt.

I just got rained out myself. It looks like the worst of it will be over soon. I am under a cover and only lack about 8 decorative brick to finish. I think that I will be able to get back out there in a few minutes.

I really like your brick work. Nice touch with the relieving arch. I'm looking forward to the completed project .
    Last edited by Gulf; 07-27-2013, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Tried to start bricking chimney this morning, but it started raining. Forecast is for rain all day, so maybe tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Is it acceptable to use type s lime for home brew stucco? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

The flue has been added. I'll mortar it in place tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Mark your courses heights on a 2x4 storey pole..double check with your level.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

I'm finding out I'm not very good at laying bricks level. Rain slowed me down yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Today, I finished insulating the dome and started bricking the entry. Hope to have chimney flue added tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
    Yeah, I probably should have waited longer, but I was impatient and the countertop mix bag says the forms can be removed in 18 hours.
    Moot point now, but those timelines are a general guide. There are always variables that will effect cure time, and waiting longer to pull the form won't damage the concrete like doing it early.

That said, what you have to fix is no big deal. Just make a slurry with portland and an acrylic admix (arcyl 60 or quickcrete) and build it out. Let it cure 24 hours before wetsanding.

I blew a corner out on a watertable piece (a chunk about 3/4") and built it out with a clay-like slurry. It bonded great and sanded out nice...nobody will ever know, except me.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
    Great job on the concrete countertop. Very impressive!
    Thanks, Tu.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Looks nice Kurt ..but I think the form was pulled too quick....I usually wait at least three days. You should be able to mix up some slurry and build up the damaged edge.
    Yeah, I probably should have waited longer, but I was impatient and the countertop mix bag says the forms can be removed in 18 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtloup
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Looks great Kurt,
    I like the form work you did. The pvc pipe was a clever idea. I would have been afraid to have pulled the forms that soon but they look very smooth to me. I guess you will be filling bug holes today.
    Thanks. I didn't get a chance to work on the counter as it rained all afternoon yesterday and it's raining now.

Leave a comment:

• banhxeo76
    replied

Great job on the concrete countertop. Very impressive!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X