42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Thanks. I think I have located everything I need locally at reasonable prices.

Comment

kurt

I am not sure if you have purchased firebrick yet, but i would recommend the Alsey medium duty bricks. It is what i used and is a superior brick and very uniform. They also have 12x12 tiles you can use for the floor. I also used their refractory mortar- so far all is good. The mortar has impressive strength characteristics, but it is pricy with shipping. Have you looked at the homebrew mix discussions and decided the mortar you are using?

Texman
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Tex,

The only firebrick I found locally was Butler which is too bad as I could have bought it 5 minutes from my house. Tu in New Orleans told me about a supplier in New Orleans that sold Alsey brick. Tu made me the generous offer to borrow his saw, so I took a ride to New Orleans to pick up the saw and half the bricks I needed. I'll need to make a trip to pick up another 100 bricks soon. As far as mortar goes, I started another thread in a different section of the forum regarding Cedar Heights fireclay. There is a local ceramics supply house that sells 50 lbs. bags for about $25. I think I will use that for homebrew. Now I need to find lime. The Home Depot 1 mile from my house doesn't have it, but it is listed online as available at Lowe's. I haven't checked at the Lowe's near my house yet.

This afternoon, I went to the insulation supplier and bought 1.5" Thermo Gold calsil. The 2" board they sell had grooves for bending around pipe. I'll add the 1.5" Thermo Gold over the 2" Sproule perlite board I previously purchased. The perlite board is non-wicking, so maybe this will help with moisture wicking up into the calsil.
        Last edited by Kurtloup; 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
          Tu made me the generous offer to borrow his saw, so I took a ride to New Orleans.........

This afternoon, I went to the insulation supplier and bought 1.5" Thermo Gold calsil...................The perlite board is non-wicking, so maybe this will help with moisture wicking up into the calsil.
          Kurt,
          Tu is a great guy, (to loan you his saw) that I intend to meet in person one day . But then, that's how Saints fans are .

You did right buy going to the 1.5 over the perlite board which you already have. As for as wicking goes though, a simple piece of plastic, scrap vinyl floor covering, etc. placed between your floor insulation and your concrete hearth can stop that. There are masonry paints like Drylok also. But, they are a little on the expensive side.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The floor insulation is down and I started laying out the floor brick. Tomorrow, I start cutting bricks.

Comment

From this point, invest in a tarp or plastic to keep it covered. Remember that every bit of water that enters it from here on out has to be removed through curing which can be a slow process already.

Comment

Plastic sheeting is over it as we speak.

Comment

This afternoon I trimmed the floor bricks and cut the remainder of the bricks I have on hand for the dome. I'll need to make a run back to New Orleans for bricks next Friday. I was able to track down supplies for home brew. Finding type S lime was tough. It was easier to find fireclay.

Comment

Gulf, you are so right about Saints Fans. We got to see da saints in the Dome together one of these day.

It is hard not to be generous to fellow WFO builders. We are a different breed of people. After all, I recieved some awesome gifts from different people from this forum. We are all brothers (from a different mothers) here and just looking out for each others.

Kurt, everything is looking great so far. You must be thinking about building WFO 24 hrs a day. Keep up with the good work.

Call your local Ace Hardware stores in the red stick area to see if they stock lime for your homebrew. I got my lime from Harry's Ace Hardware here in New Orleans and they are the only one that carry lime in New Orleans. I also brought some fine sand from that particular store as well to mix my homebrew.

Harry's Ace
                    3535 Magazine Street
                    New Orleans, LA 70115
                    Ph: (504) 896-1510
                    Last edited by banhxeo76; 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM.
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

I actually got the lime from Ace. The first one I went to only had type N. Another across town had type S. I also picked up a few bags of fine sand from them. I'll likely buy a clay chimney flue from the brick place in New Orleans if i can't locate a suitable size in BR. I found a 13x13 clay flue down the street from me, but I'm not sure if that is too big. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Comment

Gudday
                        I'm not one for the math of what is just big enough. I've seens enough folk complain about smoke stains on the front of there ovens. Smokes wants to go up anything you can do to let it do that is good. So big is good

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

This looks like an awesome build. Can't wait to see how it ends.

Comment

Made more progress today. I made an IT and started cutting brick for the vent. I got the first three rows cut. Once all my firebricks were cut, I started laying brick.

Comment

I read with envy your posts. Here in distant New Zealand everything is triple the price of the figures bandied around in this forum. Most of our local brickworks have closed down, making imported decorative veneer bricks almost all we can find. Fire bricks, unless you want to use crappy recycled ones, are difficult to find and cost in the region of $8.50 (about $US6) each! I guess this yet another cost of living in (a fools?) paradise
                              To counter this a local company is making "bricks" from refractory concrete for $2.50. So far they seem to have achieved a good rap. I am sceptical, though, and am proceeding with plans to cast a dome of home-made fireclay. I am going to use the concrete bricks to make the first stage of the vent support.
                              Ciao and a presto tutti
                              Max

Comment

Massimilliano, I have seen some very succesful builds with clay ovens. You are just going back a few thousand years farther than the rest of us. should be a great thread.
                                Greg Geisen
                                Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                                X