42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Actually, after looking at the other pics, it should be fine.

Comment

Looks great! Kurt,
      I see that you went with the flared entry. That "sceeaared" me a little, so I found a work around to get the same clearances. But, I do love the look and possibly the "challenge" of a flare. I'm Following your build with great interest .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Actually, after looking at the other pics, it should be fine.
        Thanks. I plan to add buttressing anyway. The clay flue I bought has exterior dimensions of approximately 8" x 12.5". I need to do some research as to how to brick the area between the arches.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          Looks great! Kurt,
          I see that you went with the flared entry. That "sceeaared" me a little, so I found a work around to get the same clearances. But, I do love the look and possibly the "challenge" of a flare. I'm Following your build with great interest .
          Thanks. It wasn't difficult at all. A poster provided a measured drawing of their vent in an old thread. I copied their work.

Comment

great looking build. love the shape of the stand too!

Comment

After getting the proper angle for the next row of bricks using the IT, I switched over to an exercise ball. It worked great.

Comment

Very Nice, Kurt! Almost there!

It's a very exhilarating feeling putting the keystone in the dome! (my wife says I need to get out more)

Neil

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Comment

Thanks. Can't wait to close in dome. Seems like I have been working on it forever.

Comment

You will get there. It looks great. I noticed you have filled in the joints as you go along. Smart. I had to come back and fill the outside joints, and that took longer than I had planned, I even tried a grout bag, which worked OK but I was so tired of mixing small batches of heatstop 50 and ready to work on the next phase of things.

Comment

• Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

This afternoon, I checked the inside of the last row of bricks and found I have a bit of fill needed in some of the joints. I cleaned the inside joints after I removed the ball after the mortar set for a few hours. I didn't do as good of job as the lower rows. It was easy to fill the joints as I added bricks using the IT. I'm over it now though. You have to really bend over to see the top of the dome through the entry. I'm not going to worry about cosmetics. I doubt I will be able to fit in the oven to clean it out so I wanted to take care of the joints as I added bricks.

Comment

Getting closer.

Comment

Dmn right! Kurt,
                          As we used to say "near about, almost, but not quite plumb finished" Actually, you are getting close to a real milestone. It will be a great feeling to get that keystone set. Keep it up .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

On the home stretch, seems like it take as long to do a plug as it does to do a course. Enjoy the ride.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thinking ahead, does anyone know of a source for spark arrestor screen? If I can't find a cap to fit my clay flue, I'll have to make one.

Comment

Kurtloup, great looking build. Looking forward to seeing pizzas coming out. Bruce
                                Link to my build here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X