Clear All

• Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

You aren't the only one. Thanks.

Comment

Finish line is in sight! Looking very nice

Comment

Other than mounting the clay flue, the fire brick work has been comlpeted. I used 250 out of the 250 bricks I purchased.

Comment

Congratulations Kurt,
          That is a BIG milestone. Curing fires are imminent . I would love to visit and see the finished oven some day. Maybe, you could invite me and Tu for the christening .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Come on down. You'll have to fight my neighbors for a slice of the first pizza.

Comment

This afternoon, I added vermicrete around the vent area. I'll brick over this area.

Comment

Pulled the forms this afternoon.

Comment

Look's Great Kurt,
                  I'm not sure that the two small sections of form (above your arch) need to be removed, since they don't actually touch the arch. But, I think that the void could be filled by "tuck pointing" (with more vcrete) if they needed to be .
                  I'm looking forward to your finished oven .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah, I left them as the vcrete was sticking to them. I'll fill with either more vcrete or blanket once I add the chimney.

I'm thinking I need to add the pour in place countertop next. I want the bricks to go over the counters so rain can run away from the bricks.

Comment

Double post.

Comment

Looks good but I am curious. Why are you insulating the arch? You have a vent right there that is getting rid of the heat
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Because I felt it would be easier to brick the roof with the support and it will add buttressing once I brick around it. I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Did you drop some steel into the hearth? I wouldn't expect a whole lot of shear strength from the vermiculite. May not be an issue, I have no clue of the load.

Comment

Steel up from the hearth into the vcrete? No. Rebar in the hearth, yes. I made the assumption that the vcrete has enough compressive strength to withstand any outward pushing of the arches when the exterior brick is laid next to the vcrete. The force will have to displace the exterior brick too. I'll have the weight of a 2' clay flue (about 45 lbs.) and enough exterior brick to cover the flue supported by the arches.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
                                I'll have the weight of a 2' clay flue (about 45 lbs.) and enough exterior brick to cover the flue supported by the arches.
                                That sounds a lot like my approach. I dropped some steel through the cores of the exterior brick. The concern isn't compressive, it's the side load. If you think it may be an issue you can address it when you get to that point - looking good!

Comment

Working...
                                X