42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" Pompeii in S. Louisiana

I began making the form for a pour in place concrete countertop this afternoon. I made a quarter round out of 4" PVC pipe. The rest of the form is melamine.

Comment

Sweet Kurt, looking forward to the finished product. I do have a couple things for you, maybe you are already going to do this but...

I wouldn't pour the concrete without an uncoupling layer..like sheet plastic. The different rates of expansion between the materials will crack the counter in a very short time. This layer will also serve as a crack isolator too, preventing the cold joint between your cmu and structural slab causing a crack to migrate up through the countertop.

Definitely use an acrylic or polymer additive to your mix, add about 10% of your volume of water. Great for reducing chances of shrink cracking.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing this.
      Last edited by stonecutter; 07-01-2013, 06:32 PM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I ordered bags of Quikrete Countertop Mix. It has a super plasticizer additive added to the mix. I assume this is what you are referring to? So, I should add the plastic sheeting just over the brick and structural slab? I have extra insulating board so I planned to place it over the slab so I won't have to use as much countertop mix. Bad idea? The edge along the brick will be 6" thick with at least 3" being the countertop.

Comment

If you think it will make any difference, I can pour it in two pieces. The first being the decorative cove over the bricks. After it sets up, I can pour the top.

Comment

If you are using counter mix you can still use acrylic additive, it doesn't hurt the mix as long as you have the correct amount of water needed to properly hydrate the portland. If not, you should be good, but I have never used quickcrete mix before..I hear good things though.

Definitely do NOT put insulation board under the concrete. you need firm support under concrete and the board is subject to compression from the weight of the 'crete. Remember concrete is relatively weak in tensile strength..that's way reinforcement and graded aggregate are used.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
              If you think it will make any difference, I can pour it in two pieces. The first being the decorative cove over the bricks. After it sets up, I can pour the top.
              Better off doing it in one shot... You will have the same concerns if you pour twice. Plus it's more work.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Yikes, just went to a big box website and that counter mix is $13 for an 80 lb bag. I would use the 5000 high strength and modify it myself with polymer or acrylic. That I have done before...and it works well.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Home Depot finally received the countertop mix I ordered so I poured the counter today. It took 7 bags. My idea of having about 1/8"-1/4" of a slope away from the oven didn't work out. The mix was too self leveling.

Comment

I just pulled the forms. It looks like it came out pretty good. On one side, the bottom edge crumbled in a spot. I think the mix was too dry in that area.

Comment

Looks great Kurt,
                      I like the form work you did. The pvc pipe was a clever idea. I would have been afraid to have pulled the forms that soon but they look very smooth to me. I guess you will be filling bug holes today.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Looks nice Kurt ..but I think the form was pulled too quick....I usually wait at least three days. You should be able to mix up some slurry and build up the damaged edge.
                        Last edited by stonecutter; 07-14-2013, 03:47 PM.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Great job on the concrete countertop. Very impressive!
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            Looks great Kurt,
                            I like the form work you did. The pvc pipe was a clever idea. I would have been afraid to have pulled the forms that soon but they look very smooth to me. I guess you will be filling bug holes today.
                            Thanks. I didn't get a chance to work on the counter as it rained all afternoon yesterday and it's raining now.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                              Looks nice Kurt ..but I think the form was pulled too quick....I usually wait at least three days. You should be able to mix up some slurry and build up the damaged edge.
                              Yeah, I probably should have waited longer, but I was impatient and the countertop mix bag says the forms can be removed in 18 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
                                Great job on the concrete countertop. Very impressive!
                                Thanks, Tu.

Comment

Working...
                                X