K79 Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: K79 Oven Build

It will, but finer particles will have less airspace between them than coarse vermiculite...greater air space between the particles has a greater insulating factor.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
      Well I sort of am depending on it for insulation. I mean I have 3" of fiber blanket on the oven, but I was hoping this would also add some insulating factors. Check out post #423... it says it reduces heat transfers by 50%. I hope its ok???
      Just looked at it...that's block fill and the heat transfer is related to ambient temperature through masonry...not wood fired ovens. Don't count on 50% using it as insulated cladding. Like I said, it still has some value, just not as good as course vermiculite...how much is the question.

It's not big deal..you have the blanket on there too.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        Just looked at it...that's block fill and the heat transfer is related to ambient temperature through masonry...not wood fired ovens. Don't count on 50% using it as insulated cladding. Like I said, it still has some value, just not as good as course vermiculite...how much is the question.

It's not big deal..you have the blanket on there too.
        Ok, I think I'll just go with it. There were some other larger type insulation there but it didn't say vermiculite.
        Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

I started my fire at 5 am and at 9 am the temp was a little over 200F. I doubled the amount of coal I've been putting on and it is now 10 am and I'm at 300F. I'll try and hold it here as long as I can. 1 hour and 100 degrees is considered still slow right?
          Last edited by K79; 06-21-2013, 07:09 AM.

Comment

try uline (google uline its a office factory material store)for vermiculite thats were i purchased it it is sold for packing and shipping of hazz mat materials due to its absorption the tech guy knew all about it they have 3 grades available i recieved it in 2 days. 2 large bags, cheap!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
              I started my fire at 5 am and at 9 am the temp was a little over 200F. I doubled the amount of coal I've been putting on and it is now 10 am and I'm at 300F. I'll try and hold it here as long as I can. 1 hour and 100 degrees is considered still slow right?
              yes, I would say so. I wondered about the amount of charcoal when I saw the first picture. you can use 2-3x that amount. Just spread it out once it is going.

The thing you want to watch out for is a 100+ degree spike in a couple minutes, which you can easily get with a wood fire. Not so much of a risk with charcoal
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ok so here is the new stuff I found. I was told it's vermiculite but it doesn't say it on the bag. Same company as my last vermiculite that was to fine:

15% of my oven opening equals:

First fire. I found that the charcoal holds a nice 300F heat and every half hour a little wood holds me at 350F:

Comment

That looks like what I have used.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

The last three days I've had a fire going till about 8pm then shut it down for the night. Each day it burned for about 12 hours. 300F, then 350F, then around 425F. I'll be switching to 6 hour fires for the remainder since I'm back at work. Decided to make dinner in the oven last night. Sweet Italian sausage, red and green bell peppers, onions and eggplant. It was awesome !! I also mixed up some butter, garlic, rosemary, parmesan, and lemon and put that on some Italian bread with some mozzarella.

Comment

I think your there............congrats.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I agree - once you cook something you officially have an oven! Well done!

Comment

Hey guys,..

My oven curing so far (average temps):

Day 1: 250F for 8 hours used 1400 watts
                          Day 2: 300F for 13 hours used charcoal
                          Day 3: 350 for 12 hours used charcoal and small amounts of wood
                          Day 4: 425 for 12 hours used charcoal and medium amounts of wood
                          Day 5: 525 for 6 hours used small amount of charcoal and larger amounts of wood

Tonight is night 6..

Night 6: Aiming for 600F for 6 hours mostly wood
                          Night 7: Aiming for 675F for 6 hours wood
                          Night 8: Aiming for 750F for 6 hours wood
                          Night 9: Aiming for 825F for 6 hours wood
                          Day 10: Aiming for +900F for 6 or so hours.... my big and final fire.

Does this look to agressive for fires 6-10?

Comment

no, it doesn't look too aggressive. The difficult part will be maintaining temp with a wood fire without it spiking. A 600 degree fire can become an 800 degree fire in a matter of seconds. At that temp, the wood will pretty much spontaneously combust. Kind of counter-intuitive, but I find it easier to maintain temperature with bigger pieces of wood than with smaller pieces - which flash ignite.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I noticed that with the larger pieces you get a more consistent temp than the smaller ones bursting into flames haha. Only issue is getting the coals hot enough below the larger log to keep them lit. I had a few spikes in temp along the way but nothing that lasted more than a few seconds. If something got out of hand I either took the wood out and put it in my fire pit or put my shovel over it in the oven. I found having a fire going in my pit and transferring the lit log to a bed of coal is a nice way to introduce a log instead of a fresh one that can "spontaneously combust"

Comment

Hey everyone...

I just completed day 6 of my curing fires and I was around 600F today +/- 25F as best I could. Anyone know at what temps I need to start looking for cracks?

Side note, I made venison meatballs in there tonight with a couple of loaves of Italian bread and some homemade gravy "sauce". I love this oven

Comment

Working...
                                X