• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: K79 Oven Build

Congratulations! Looks fabulous!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
      Congratulations! Looks fabulous!
      Thanks Ken.

I'm working on my enclosure tonight. 18 gauge metal studs for my frame and 20 gauge for my roof. pics to come.
      Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Hello All,

I'm contemplating not putting any loose vermiculite over my 3" of ceramic fiber blanket. Any thoughts? The FB plans say if you have 3" of ceramic fiber blanket that it's not needed, but I was wondering if any other builders had their own take on this.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
          Hello All,

I'm contemplating not putting any loose vermiculite over my 3" of ceramic fiber blanket. Any thoughts? The FB plans say if you have 3" of ceramic fiber blanket that it's not needed, but I was wondering if any other builders had their own take on this.

Thanks.
          Don't, I didn't.

Comment

Since you are in firing mode, take some temp reading on the outside of the CF and see what you are seeing compared to ambient. Then decide. Loose Vermiculate is relatively cheap $10 a 4 cubic foot bag.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Since you are in firing mode, take some temp reading on the outside of the CF and see what you are seeing compared to ambient. Then decide. Loose Vermiculate is relatively cheap $10 a 4 cubic foot bag.
              I'm paying $25 for 3 cf That's a good idea. I was hoping to fire it up again once I was done with the oven. 10 days of 8hr+/- fires I needed a break haha.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Since i assume you are building a house around your dome, filling it with perlite or vermiculite is cheap easy and I think money well spent for future heat retention. I love the fact that my oven holds heat for several days.

Just saw your price on vermiculite, Ouch! check your local commercial greenhouse supplier for perlite, sometimes concrete block suppliers have it as loose fill for block.
                Last edited by mrchipster; 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM.
                Chip

Comment

I found the vermiculite to be ridiculously expensive too, and not worth the "insurance". Outside of my insulation was already at ambient temp, so it seemed like overkill. I have 3-4 inches of FB blanket and no issues with heat retention.
                  My build progress
                  My WFO Journal on Facebook
                  My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

If you do decide on adding loose fill, check out a concrete block supplier for pricing, it is used to fill CMUs cells for insulation vs a big box store.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Keep in mind block fill is almost always finer in particle size.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

Anyone here know what most people use for gloves when putting stone veneer on their enclosure. I've been doing it bare handed and I now have no fingerprints and I've gone through a box of band aids. Very painful. The issue is you need to be able to work the stone and clean up the excess mortar around the stone. I'm constantly in and out of a bucket of water wetting the stone and sponges to clean them. Rubber gloves offer no sense of feeling when working with the stone and heavy duty suede gloves get soaked in 2 minutes. My hands just can't take it anymore. It hurt just to type this message

Last edited by K79; 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I don't always wear gloves, but when I do, I use Atlas Dipped gloves.

Atlas Fit Glove, Large - Amazon.com

Stay healthy, my friend.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Also, you should not be pointing with your fingers....get a tuck pointer for that task.

This one should be about right for your joint size.

MARSHALLTOWN The Premier Line 502D 6 1/2-Inch X 3/16-Inch Tuck Pointer with DuraSoft Handle - Amazon.com
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

what did you end up paying for the veneer per sq foot?

Comment

Thanks stonecutter !!

I paid $10.45/sf. Real stone veneer, not precast.

Comment

Working...
                                X