Clear All

Re: 39 inch Pompeii in Lincolnshire England

I used a non-segmented blade for my entire build, no problem
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That's good to know before I start cutting with it.

If i get results like yours I will be a happy man.

Looks like I could have to abandon the build for a while once again to landscape my driveway and garden

At least I get to play with a digger and dumper for a couple of weeks

Comment

Originally posted by andis View Post
        Had a look about for a blade today.

10" 25.4mm bore segmented diamond wet blade ?144 ($218 US / $238 AUS)
        10" 25.4mm bore non segmented diamond wet blade ?18

It might not be ideal for the job but at a saving of 87.5% I will give the cheap one a shot.
        You must have looked in the wrong places for a blade?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Nice toys!

i used to be a landscape gardener, and always look back fondly to that time.

What brick saw do you have?

Comment

Brickie, I looked at a LOT of places for a blade.

I have accounts at a few builders merchants and tool suppliers.

I also tried fleabay and the online suppliers.

250 mm with a 1 inch bore is difficult to find at a lot of places here.

It is half the price for me to get a segmented blade sent from the US even with the postage and import duty included.

It's just one of those things. Tools are cheaper in the US, camping equipment is cheaper in OZ, Beer is cheaper in Vietnam and everything is more expensive in the UK

Comment

Brickie, I looked at a LOT of places for a blade.

I have accounts at a few builders merchants and tool suppliers.

I also tried fleabay and the online suppliers.

250 mm with a 1 inch bore is difficult to find at a lot of places here.

It is half the price for me to get a segmented blade sent from the US even with the postage and import duty included.

It's just one of those things. Tools are cheaper in the US, camping equipment is cheaper in OZ, Beer is cheaper in Vietnam and everything is more expensive in the UK
              Andis,
              I'd like to know where you purchased your blade. I'm in the market for the same size but I'll be using it for dry cutting in a mitre saw.
              If you think things are expensive in the UK, you should see how much worse things are in Norway
              My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...way-19491.html

Comment

I have a 450mm chimney pot that I am going to use.
                I love chimney pots...that one is a real beauty. One of my best buddies lives in Leichester, about 67 miles from you. He is a professional mason, and we did a ton of work together awhile back, when he used to come over to the states.

I'll see if I can get in touch with him to see if he has a local source for diamond blades.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Bookemdanno - The saw is a SMG. No idea where it was made or how old it is but my plumber lent me it for nothing, and it works, so I wasn't going to say no.

Steellearning - my blade came from screwfix which is a nationwide tool supplier that has an online shop. If you let me know the type of blade you want I will see what is available here and post it to you if it helps.

Stonecutter - Thanks. I would be interested to know if there is somewhere cheaper that I have missed.

Comment

So after a long break I think it's time to get this oven finished.
                    It's become an in joke for friends to ask how the pizza tastes :-)
                    This is the state of play today. Tomorrow my arse gets back in gear.

Comment

Hook in and go hard andis. You are well on the way and you will be able to feed the knockers a bit of crow with the pizza before long.

Be interested to follow you finishing the oven.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks. I am hoping that posting as I go will encourage me to finish it at this attempt!

I was not surprised to find that when I took a closer look at the project I had forgotten a lot of what I had planned. The solution to the eternal arch meets dome problem, that I finally got straight in my head before the last break, had dissapeared from my memory completely.

I just got on and cut some bricks to get back in the swing of it. It only took me 7 hours to dig my way to the back of the shed to extract the bench saw

Bricks soaking. Next chain about to start.

Comment

Thanks. I am hoping that posting as I go will encourage me to finish it at this attempt!

I was not surprised to find that when I took a closer look at the project I had forgotten a lot of what I had planned. The solution to the eternal arch meets dome problem, that I finally got straight in my head before the last break, had dissapeared from my memory completely.

I just got on and cut some bricks to get back in the swing of it. It only took me 7 hours to dig my way to the back of the shed to extract the bench saw

Bricks soaking. Next chain about to start.
                          Glad to see your back on the job. Hope I can be some encouragement. Don't feel bad, I have gotten plenty of the harassment from my friends about the WFO.

Below is a quote from my thread were I begin to tie in the arch to my dome. I some what modeled this after Utahbeehiver's build. Hope this help jogs your memory a little.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                          Made a little progress yesterday.......My idea of tying inner arch to the dome and staggering joints did'nt work as well is planned. The further up proved next to impossible.

Attached is the outcome,I settled for tighter joints verses staggering
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build
                          Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Here a link to Utah"s pictures they are worth a 1000 words.
                            https://plus.google.com/photos/10287...1037496/albums
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build
                            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Cheers guys. It's all coming back to me after a quick read and a look at the photos.
                              Started slow. I had never touched a brick before starting this so it's taken an hour or two to get back into it.
                              Last edited by andis; 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Are you planning on a small entrance?
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X