X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Finally, cabinet doors completed, time to focus on the oven doors. The norm seems to be a insulated door extending into the oven inner arch and having a lip covering a reveal of some sort. My reveal is a lot larger then most so its may take some thought. I'm thinking that a insulate door in front of my inner arch would retain more heat and better insulate the inner arch. Any thoughts?

Herb Garden has began I hope I can keep them alive this time. Any other suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Thanks all, for your compliments and help. I could not have gotten this far without everyone's help and encouragement. Still lots to do.........

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

KB,

You come a long way and your build was very interesting to watch. Great job.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Simply one word summary - Exemplary

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Looking good, KB. Love the tile work. Very impressive looking project.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

It's been a while................. slow going but I'm making head way. Here are a couple of pictures of my progress.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    PS,
    Stonecutter,

Thanks for the compliment....
    It's well deserved. You know, good information is only a help if the person receiving it puts it into practice. I think your build is not only a great example of how being flexible will produce a fantastic result, but listening to and applying advice. And, any advice should be looked at objectively, not as the law.

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
    Kbartman and Stonecutter, I really believe we have started a valid conversation with the vent pan. No only for those building in wetter climates, but in areas where there is freeze/ thaw cycles.Never having a chance to completely dry out insulation.
    Campmaki, with your current experience with commercial masonry, you know how important flashing is to masonry components...beyond the standard chimney flashing. This is an area that is often over looked...it shouldn't be.
    As an aside, I always extend my insulation slab under the vent area. Even though I've only done enclosures ( the best for keeping out the weather ) I wouldn't omit it if I was just putting a shell on the dome...stucco,tile or units. Given the 1000extra miles builders go during the building process...extra thick foundations, bomb shelter stands etc,etc....a little insulation under the vent is nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Campmaki
    replied

Kbartman and Stonecutter, I really believe we have started a valid conversation with the vent pan. No only for those building in wetter climates, but in areas where there is freeze/ thaw cycles.Never having a chance to completely dry out insulation.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    It looks great, very cohesive and professional looking!

I don't remember advising you on a drain for the vent....I probably post too much.

PS,
    Stonecutter,

Thanks for the compliment your have been a big help to me and many others.
    Your advice is and should be highly regarded to anyone who receives it. Keep posting
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-18-2014, 04:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    That is something you should address with flashing or something. A sealer like the one I recommended won't keep standing water out for long and using a surface sealer won't help anything but absorption.

You should get that issue sorted out before you seal anything. I have some ideas but it would be good if you take some perspective pictures...no macro shots....it's better to see the whole area.
    This is the post that challenged me to sort out possible water intrusion into front my oven. With your thoughts, others suggestions and comments I was able to sort it all out.

Thanks again all.
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-17-2014, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It looks great, very cohesive and professional looking!

I don't remember advising you on a drain for the vent....I probably post too much.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Kbartman here is a picture of my pans design. What are you using for your vent floor? What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface? Are you insulating under that floor? Do we need to insulate the vent floor? I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?

Campmaki,
    Looks like we stirred some good discussion on this subject. Thanks for posting the picture of your pan. I wish I had done my pan more similar to yours, I think it would have worked better. My vent area is already completed as your are still in the build stage. Hopefully we can help other not to make the same mistake I made.

The thinking on insulation in my vent area was that I would be using this area for grilling. I thought the hot coals on the firebrick in this area would transfer into my concrete hearth below and would case issues later. So I extended the insulation under my dome into the vent area.

Back to your question's:

What are you using for your vent floor?
    Firebrick on top of the drainage pan over my insulation.

What is going to be under your finished top vent floor surface?
    The drainage pan.

Are you insulating under that floor?
    Yes, my dome floor insulation extends into my vent area.

Do we need to insulate the vent floor?
    No, I'm glad I did. It gives me the option to have hot coals in my vent area for grilling. Although grilling inside the oven with its intense heat has added value. I have not grilled in my vent area since I have set my stainless steel drainage pan, I hope it will not cause any thermal expansions issue in my vent area. The rainy season has began here in Florida and the pan seems to be doing it's job.

I came up with the flashing pan so my insulation under the dome would not wick water, so why would we put insulation under the area that has the greatest chance of getting wet?
    I think Stonecutter gave me the idea for the drainage pan after I extended insulation this area. Right or wrong I believe it has value and hope it may help others in there build and designs. I hope this help clarify and answer some questions,

Thanks again all for making my build a success.

Attached is a pic of my finished vent area. The drainage pan below the firebrick channels water that enters the vent area below the countertop and out the front of the oven.

Ps. I finished the tile on my backsplash hope everyone likes
    Last edited by kbartman; 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Yep laurentis is correct. I didn't have any insulation under the vent area at all. unnecessary. overkill. I did insulate between the vent and oven hearth.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Hi Nova,

Yes, it took 3 typhoons before I figured it out. I had noticed that the energy efficiency had dropped off greatly, but had not connected it with the heavy rain of the typhoon, because some time the lag time of a typhoon and my cooking could be a week or two. The day after the third typhoon, I went out to the oven to take out some wood that I had dried after the last usage, and my landing was wet, when I removed all of the wood I noticed that the hearth was wet. I then connected the two, once the ceramic fiber board is wet, it stays wet until the water is forced out with heat, a lot of heat, days of heat. Now, when there a typhoon warning I will start a big fire the day before and feed it until the typhoon, have the door at he edge of the landing, so that the rain that lands there is evaporated and my insulation is dry.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

Sounds like you can tell it is wet?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X