Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Thanks guys,
    I appreciate the help and info. Here is my plan for tomorrow. I really would like not to disturb the strength and integrity of the lintel. So I’ve decided to do what I always do when things seem so difficult, work on what I know, while I think about the rest.

1. I know I need all the room I can get between the lintel and the clay flue 8 x 17;(the smallest standard size I could get locally and cheap) which will sit in front of the oven so I’ll remove the 1/2 to 3/ 4 of existing stucco on the lentil. This will give me more room to insulate the clay flue and limit the protrusion of the chimney in to my limited oven landing.

2. Adding the additional insulation under the floor will increase the dome height. I’m already limited to about 2” between the inner arch and dome to the back side of the lintel. So I will trim some of the back side of the poured lintel and the existing stucco. This should keep the integrity of the lintel. Giving me more room to insulate the dome and the inner arch

3. While I work on that, I will think about where to set up my saw. Then I am going to lay out the brick in a herring bone pattern, and then I will ponder the oven floor. The dome will sit on the insulating FB board. The gap between the oven floor and the dome I’m unsure of, if it’s going to fill with ash; does it matter the size gap? I will also ponder insulated fire brick, and a thermal break in the outer arch and landing………so many questions…….. Do I start the dome soldier or sailor? Soldiers, sailors? How in the hell did they get that name? …….so confused……..LOL

4. Oh also need to revise my IT made it to long very little adjustment inward. I am thinking that having inward adjustment allows me to lower dome height by adjusting a specific amount each course. Would this work and be ok? This might just give me the additional room for extra isulation under the floor.
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-14-2013, 09:30 PM.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      Do I start the dome soldier or sailor? Soldiers, sailors? How in the hell did they get that name?
      Just lay your first 3 or 4 courses flat and forget about standing bricks upright.
      Upright brickwork is inherently weak.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

K,
        Thanks brickie....its way past my bed time in the land up above. Its probably morning in the land down under.... Thanks for checking out my post look foward to your future post.... good night.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Its actually 4 pm here.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey Brickie, it's time for me to get up its about 6:30 am here. I hope I'm not the only one on this site that wakes up thinking about thier pizza oven.
            Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013, 09:58 PM.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Test post for signature and link to my build
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

KB,

Brickie does bring up good points on being able to accomplish what you want with laying the first few courses some call sailors others stretchers but here is a link from Gianni Focacia pretty much saying the same thing. Somewhere in the forum there was a diagram of soldiers, sailors, stretchers, etc but could not find in my short search.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...tml#post126344
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  Somewhere in the forum there was a diagram of soldiers, sailors, stretchers, etc but could not find in my short search.
                  Heres one I prepared earlier.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yeah, that's the one, especially the good rendition of a bricklayer
                    Russell

Comment

Thanks guy I appreciate the wisdom,

I had a successful day, didn’t get much accomplish with the build, but work out a lot of issues.
                      Sorry to say guy the lintels a goner. The dark line is the top of 4 inches of insulation around the dome. I'll talk to my neighbor tonight and borrow that gas powered diamond blade monster and attack that baby with vengence …………… never to hinder me again, yippy.
                      Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

By the way I conquered my fears on cut that first brick.
                        Last edited by kbartman; 03-19-2013, 10:01 PM.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

More to come later.......... : Habor freight saw have lots of questions and a great story about my day.?
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Don’t want to bore anyone so I try to make a long story short:
                            I borrow my Buddy’s Harbor freight 10 “diamond blade saw. I began by a quick setup of the saw, to conquer my fears of cutting my first brick……… boy is it nice……..cuts like butter…love it. I think the dust will be manageable around the pool deck. Thanks for everyone’s concern….. I value your wisdom, keep posting… That saw was a lot louder then I remember. When my Buddy brought to it me, he had said it had been over his neighbor’s for the last two years. I’m sure everyone has a neighbor like my Buddies’. So most of my day was spent getting it in good working order: I don’t have a manual for it ……. I think it needs a bearing or two not sure how to replace them……..any suggestions? Included are some pictures of some suggested maintenance items I discovered…….lubrications is our friend……The cement mixer I borrowed quit on me the last poor on the hearth. There is one thing I do when I borrow something from you: you will always get it back in better in condition than you brought it to me or better……. I hope I can Keep my reputation.
                            Last edited by kbartman; 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Place the pump in a separate 5 gallon bucket of water that you refill as needed. The brick fines play havoc with the HF pumps. I think Tscar also said to wrap the pump in cheese cloth and place in the bucket as well. By doing this my HFsaw pump lasted my who build.
                              Russell

Comment

The saw table should have either a plug or be made in such a way that the water will overflow in one particular place. Put the bucket under that. Terry cloth works well too.

Comment

Working...
                                X