• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbruning
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

Hi Arne,
    Looking forward to following your build!

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    started a topic 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

Started the build on my oven yesterday.. poured the slab 155 x 175 x 10 cm. I purchased all my building materials at one store (sand too) and had them lift everything in place on pallets. Saved me a lot of work.
    I used 12 mm rebar spaced 25 cm center. The cement came in 20 kg bags so my mix was 25 lt. sand, 25 lt. crushed rock (gravel) 8 to 10 lt. water and 1 bag of cement. All in all I used 8 bags of cement. I thought this could be a one man job but after 4 mixes I had my son help out.. it was going too slow and my back was killing me. When I mix the tabletop I want 3 people involved.
    I have around 300 refractory bricks that are arched (tapered) 230 x 114 x 67/61 mm (nice for the dome) but I still have to buy square bricks for the floor and entrance.
    I'm thinking about using 4 inch siporex or ytong for my floor insulation (unless someone on the forum gives me reasons not to?) FB board is just to expensive to import to Norway. I might be able to get a hold of perlite so that could also be an option.
    Thinking also on using home brew mortar but I need to figure out what fire clay is. I'm sure its available but I just don't know what to call it. Is it the same clay used in making pottery?
    Looks like I'll be cutting my fire bricks with an angle grinder. I was hoping on buying an inexpensive brick/tile saw from Biltema but it only cuts up to 60 mm thickness. I'm posting a picture of it just in case someone on the forum thinks I might be able to use it.
    Well that about wraps it up for now. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Arne
    Last edited by Steellearning; 06-08-2013, 08:48 PM.
Working...
X