• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steellearning
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

Originally posted by Attis View Post
    Hello!
    Good to see a neighbour on this forum. I?m from southern Sweden, close to Karlskrona. Where in Norway do you live?
    I'm also in the middle of building mine, I've started the last part of the dome. So hopfully there will be both pizza and maybe a few lefser before the summer is over

I guess we have similar climate, how are you going to make your oven?
    A complete "house" with roof or with mortar/stucco? I want the igloo look, but I'm not sure what to use as final outermost layer. It has to withstand water and not break apart during the winter. And I guess it has to be somewhat flexibel so it don't crack.
    Any thoughts?
    Hello Attis
    I'm near Kristiansand in a little town called Vennesla.
    I'm going for an igloo. Don't think that should be a problem once I get it stuccoed and sealed. I will put a small roof over it though just to keep some of the snow off.
    Have you had any problems in finding materials for your build? I really want to use homebrew and I couldn't find fireclay in Norway so I plan to use regular pottery clay. Haven't found the insulation blanket yet but I think that should be the easy part.
    I'm going to use a cheap mitre saw from "Jula" to saw my bricks. Wish we had a Harbor Freight store in Norway. I really would rather be cutting bricks on a wet saw.
    Hope you post pictures of your build, ...be nice to see how other scandinavians build their ovens.

Leave a comment:

• Attis
    replied

Hello!
    Good to see a neighbour on this forum. I?m from southern Sweden, close to Karlskrona. Where in Norway do you live?
    I'm also in the middle of building mine, I've started the last part of the dome. So hopfully there will be both pizza and maybe a few lefser before the summer is over

I guess we have similar climate, how are you going to make your oven?
    A complete "house" with roof or with mortar/stucco? I want the igloo look, but I'm not sure what to use as final outermost layer. It has to withstand water and not break apart during the winter. And I guess it has to be somewhat flexibel so it don't crack.
    Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Just wanted to update my progress with some pictures.
    We've had lots of rain here in Norway so it's slowing things down. But I was able to finish my top slab this week. Haven't had any need to cover the slab because of all the rain.

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

correct about the volume, and if my Norwegian serves me right then thats a better Lime too!

try to imagine a total amount of mortar you'd need for a chain, then divide it by 6, then try to find something in the kitchen that'll be perfect to measure everything into!

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
    Hi Arne,

Are you planning on a Homebrew type mortar using Fireclay, and cement?
    If yes, then you need HYDRATED or Builders Lime, not hydraulic lime.

Hydraulic Lime can be used, but not really with Fireclay and cement.
    So it depends on which direction your going.
    I used NHL 2 Hydraulic Lime for my dome build, but that was with clay bricks, not firebricks.

Hydrated Lime is more of a feebly hydraulic lime (NHL 2), and is added to mortar to improve workability and moisture retention. It also gives an element of flexibility and life to cement based mortars too.
    Hydrated Lime will set on its own in time, through the carbonisation cycle, and probably takes over from the cement in homebrew mortars, as the cement breaks down after prolonged temperature cycles. Of course there is also the fireclay to help too.

So, we need to know what your planned mortar is to be, and then hopefully steer you to the right lime to use.
    Thanks for steering me in the right direction, think I'll be using this "Weber T?rrlesket hydratkalk" this is a hydrated lime.
    I'm thinking about doing the 1 lime, 1 ceramic clay, 1 portland, and 3 sand, homebrew. I can't find fireclay in Norway so I'll be using pottery clay.
    I'm thinking all this is measured in volume not weight?

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

Hi Arne,

Are you planning on a Homebrew type mortar using Fireclay, and cement?
    If yes, then you need HYDRATED or Builders Lime, not hydraulic lime.

Hydraulic Lime can be used, but not really with Fireclay and cement.
    So it depends on which direction your going.
    I used NHL 2 Hydraulic Lime for my dome build, but that was with clay bricks, not firebricks.

Hydrated Lime is more of a feebly hydraulic lime (NHL 2), and is added to mortar to improve workability and moisture retention. It also gives an element of flexibility and life to cement based mortars too.
    Hydrated Lime will set on its own in time, through the carbonisation cycle, and probably takes over from the cement in homebrew mortars, as the cement breaks down after prolonged temperature cycles. Of course there is also the fireclay to help too.

So, we need to know what your planned mortar is to be, and then hopefully steer you to the right lime to use.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Apparently lime isn't just lime:
    Feebly hydraulic lime
    Feebly hydraulic lime (NHL 2) is used for internal work and external work in sheltered areas.
    Feebly hydraulic lime contains up to 10% clay/ clay mixed with other impurities. It might take one week or more to set after the addition of water. Setting is the process of permanently taking the shape into which lime has been moulded.

Moderately hydraulic lime
    Moderately hydraulic lime (NHL 3.5) can be used for external work in most areas.
    Moderately hydraulic lime contains clay in the range of 11% to 20%. This type of lime sets (assumes given shape) within a few days after the addition of water.

Eminently hydraulic lime
    Eminently hydraulic lime (NHL 5) is used for external work in exposed areas, such as chimneys and for floor slabs/underpinning.
    Eminently hydraulic lime contains clay in the range of 21% to 30%. Properties of eminently hydraulic lime are close to those of cement. Eminently hydraulic lime sets within one day after the addition of water.

I'm thinking I should go for NHL 5...?

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

My dewalt chop saw has been working great it only angles no bevel but Ive just been eyeballing it. I think it will work great

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Ordered my floor bricks today.. it's good to get that out of the way. Went to the store to check out the mitre saw and it looks like thats going to work with a slightly smaller blade.

Posting a picture on how I plan on cutting my floor bricks. I'm planing on laying my first course (half brick soldiers) on top of the floor bricks. And I'm also planing on having a thermal break in my entry so I won't have to deal with that until later. As for the outer arch I might have to do one and a half bricks to get enough opening for the flue. Feel free to point me in the right direction.

Not sure of the placement of the green colored bricks yet. I want these far enough back so the dome can rest on them when I reach the top of my entry. I'll be cutting these to length as the dome progresses.
    Last edited by Steellearning; 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
    If you can find Evolution Power Tools in Norway, they manufacture Compound mitre saws which can have their own brand dry cut diamond blades fitted. They also manufacture larger cut-off saws that can also have diamond blades fitted, but will not angle and bevel cut at the same time, like the Compound Mitre Saws.
    I picked up a second hand one from Ebay UK, and will get a new diamond blade in the future, so i cannot personally recommend, but the Evolution Website has video tutorials.
    I might go for a chop saw, seems like its easier to find diamond blades that fit.
    The mitre saw I was contemplating uses 255x25,4 mm blades, so far I've only found 250x25,4. Not sure if the 5 mm difference will have any effect on cutting through the bricks.
    Last edited by Steellearning; 06-24-2013, 03:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

it was actually pretty easy to cut the floor i really dont see a problem with the rest of the dome i am in the proccess of cutting some dome bricks so far so good, if i couldnt get this saw i was going to buy a miter saw from a pawn shop they go for about $40. I think there is better places to spend the money like in insulation and correct materials with a chop saw you can get high eneough up were the eye will not be able to see so why go crazy!! just go slow and be patient, of course the dust will be an issue your right behind me i"ll keep watching you post

Leave a comment:

• Bookemdanno
    replied

If you can find Evolution Power Tools in Norway, they manufacture Compound mitre saws which can have their own brand dry cut diamond blades fitted. They also manufacture larger cut-off saws that can also have diamond blades fitted, but will not angle and bevel cut at the same time, like the Compound Mitre Saws.
    I picked up a second hand one from Ebay UK, and will get a new diamond blade in the future, so i cannot personally recommend, but the Evolution Website has video tutorials.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
    looking good!!!

I have started to cut my bricks using a 14" dewalt brick cut off saw its working fine so far,I also will be using a 4" grinder with a diamond blade for finer sharper cuts definatly wear ear protection louder than i thought ear plugs and ear muffs together...
    I'm thinking about buying a cheap mitre saw and put a diamond blade on that.
    Brick saws are just too expensive in Norway. I'll make sure to use ear protection and buy a good dust mask pluss I'll hook the saw up my vac. Looking forward to following your build. You did a good job on cutting those floor bricks.

I won't be able to pour the top slab before next week. Looking forward to that so I can start on the fun stuff.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

looking good!!!

I have started to cut my bricks using a 14" dewalt brick cut off saw its working fine so far,I also will be using a 4" grinder with a diamond blade for finer sharper cuts definatly wear ear protection louder than i thought ear plugs and ear muffs together...

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

well it's 45% calcium oxide and 45% Silica which sounds like CalSil board to me!

5cm is essentially 2 inches - so yes, that should be thick enough

Neil

Leave a comment:

Working...
X