X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brickie in oz
    replied
    Re: 42 inch Pompeii build i Norway

Check out this website for arch buttressing.

Auroville Earth Institute

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    You need some shims underneath the arch support legs otherwise you wont be able to get the arch profile out once the arch is built.
    Thanks Al I remember that. This was just a mockup to see what the radius could look like. I was waiting for the last ingredient for my homebrew (lime) to arrive and needed something to do

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

You need some shims underneath the arch support legs otherwise you wont be able to get the arch profile out once the arch is built.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

I cut bricks for two courses yesterday and while I was at it, I had my son shoot a video so people could see what its like cutting bricks without a wet saw.
    Cutting fire bricks with a mitre saw - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

Ax long as the sides can take the lateral forces you will be fine even with an arch with a much larger radius. Within the arch itself the forces are compressive on the mortar bonds between the bricks and they can take a lot! Obviously if the arch is almost "flat" then you will start getting shear forces which would try to break the mortar bonds vertically. A 1.2 inch difference from top to side height like you have should be fine. The challenge is the lateral force sideways - your side walls must be able to take the load.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

I see your ovens have a difference of 3,5 and 4 inches from sides to center.
    Mine is only 1,2 inches. Not sure how that effects the load-bearing quality of the arch? If I clamp it together I'm sure it would stand on its own.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

The radius for my arches were 17 3/4 " 12" to Id top 8" on sides

Leave a comment:

• boerwarrior
    replied

your arch is similar to mine (and mine worked great) I have a small oven (32 inch) and I prefer the extra room that this design gives for moving pizzas in and out of the oven. I cant remember my arch radius - but I do know that the top of the arch is 10 inches above the floor and the sides are 8.5 inches - if that helps!

Good luck - looking good!

Neil

my build is here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Tried out the form for my inner arch. It has an inner radius of about 119 cm.
    That is what my bricks are tapered for.
    I'm wondering if this will work OK or should I go for a smaller radius? The opening is 51 cm wide.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Steellearning View Post
    Good to know... I enjoy understanding whats going on
    Yep, me too.....

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    The sparks are molten glass.
    Ive had to pick a few pieces out of my hand in the past.
    Good to know... I enjoy understanding whats going on

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Steellearning View Post
    Its when the blade glazes up that the sparks start flying and the blade stops cutting.
    The sparks are molten glass.
    Ive had to pick a few pieces out of my hand in the past.

Leave a comment:

• Steellearning
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Soaking bricks has been very thoroughly discussed on the forum. Not sure what thread but it did get people emotionally engaged I recall. I took the middle ground and wet them a bit to stop the bricks sucking the moisture straight out of the mortar.
    There are pros and cons to it and any moisture added to the dome by soaking bricks has to be driven out when you cure it.
    My bricks may not be as hard as yours but I did the whole build on one blade (14" wet saw) and it is still got life in it. I had no problem with sparks!
    Whatever works for you is the go.
    I hated to soak the bricks, thinking about the extra moisture I would need to get rid of during curing. But I was at my wits end trying to keep the dust down and reducing the glaze build-up. I had read on the forum that many soaked their bricks before mortaring and cutting so I figured I'd try it. I might be able to reduce the 1 minute soaking or might not need it at all. But I've really only cut the floor so I haven't had a chance to experiment much.
    I was surprised on how fast the bricks soaked up the water though. I think when I get to the stage of mortaring my bricks they'll only need a quick dunk in the bucket or maybe just a spray of water.
    Having a wet saw is a great advantage, no dust, keeps the blade cooler and less build-up of glaze on the blade. Its when the blade glazes up that the sparks start flying and the blade stops cutting.
    I'm "still learning" this stuff and I might go for a wet saw yet just because of the dust. We'll see how it goes when I start using the mitre saw and the wife sees how dusty things get.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Soaking bricks has been very thoroughly discussed on the forum. Not sure what thread but it did get people emotionally engaged I recall. I took the middle ground and wet them a bit to stop the bricks sucking the moisture straight out of the mortar.
    There are pros and cons to it and any moisture added to the dome by soaking bricks has to be driven out when you cure it.
    My bricks may not be as hard as yours but I did the whole build on one blade (14" wet saw) and it is still got life in it. I had no problem with sparks!
    Whatever works for you is the go.

Leave a comment:

• GIANLUCA
    replied

oh yea!! molten metal is right very dangerous! floor looks good to me. I cut my floor in three pieces from the vent landing back leaving a l/r and center I then used duck tape to hold them together

Leave a comment:

Working...
X