gianluca's 42" oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

I used a Bosch 10" sliding compound miter saw with a diamond blade and used a garden pressure spray bottle to spray water on the blade also a fan to blow any spray/dust away from the say motor ant myself little dust and no issues.
    My build is based on using tapered bricks and I have generally a 2mm joint to all faces.

Comment

It's official chop saws against wet saws....LOL!!

I have been working on my enclosure during curing fires today I built a box around the clay flue and covered it with cement board my goal is to do some brick veneer so I could do the flashing on the roof properly. I think I'm going to use plywood for the roof I'm not worried about combustion I have plenty of insulation around the oven and as it will be filled with loose vermiculite I am wondering how do you nail the asphalt shingles to cement board if I were to use it? I would like to do a copper roof but its out of budget assuming the cost for the veneer stone that I need to purchase I guess I could always change it later so for now its architectural shingles to match my home.

I have lit 4 fires so far
      1st day 150 deg w/ charcoal
      2nd day 225 deg w/ charcoal & wood
      3rd day 300-350 wood
      4th day 350-450 wood
      **ended tonight**

5th night tomorrow I'm hoping 450-600 w/wood
      6th night sat 600-900 w/wood
      and then cook some damn pizza!!!!!

Comment

today we made dinner using our oven we started with roasting red peppers during the preheat then we followed with pizza and bread we ended up with 4 simple 12" pies with cheese & peppers and 1 loaf of bread. everything was delicious it was a lot of fun a great start and a great 1st learning for making the dough. tomorrow I will finish the roof and brick veneer on the chimney

Comment

I completed the brick veneer today and added 9" of flue to 24" section the 2' length worked fine I just needed to clear the chimney box that I built . Tomorrow I will lay the shingles, grout and flash...hopefully..

Comment

I like that you cut the ends of your eaves parallel to the house! I think that is a nice finishing touch.

Have you given thought to how you are going to flash the brick on your chimney chase?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Wow, I'm impressed with the quality of your build your speed and a chop saw, well done. I'm at nine months and well behind you. Enjoy your baby. I'm overdue and my back hurts. Enjoyed reading you build tonight.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I have been taken vacation to work on the oven so far 2 1/2weeks used up plus weekends my wife has been very patient with me.
                I will be flashing the chimney with copper I have some leftover scraps from my home install hopefully it will be enough it will be just a standard flashing although I will slide the flashing in the brick line b4 I grout. The only issue I thought of was that the chimney is only 12" high on the gable end and with a 3-4" high flashing that really isn't high enough for snow as a matter of fact the chimney isn't even that high to the top of the flue is 18" But for rain no problem. I will definitely be clearing snow off the winter at least not because of the weight.
                Has anyone ever made there own chimney cap just looking on line and the homeowner special isn't that special and it runs about $65 for steel I was hoping to get a copper cover but the price jumps to about $150 up!!

Comment

Made a little more progress today installed the facia boards, grouted and layed the ice barrier I miscounted drip edge so I will roof tommorrow

Comment

Roof is on just need to haven siding guy and do the ext copper flashing around the chimney

Comment

• Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

Started work on the patio truck is here with a full 10 1/2 and a 4 yard load on its way.

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
                        Started work on the patio truck is here with a full 10 1/2 and a 4 yard load on its way.
                        That had to be hard on the grass.
                        Chip

Comment

Oh yea!! But putting a new lawn in this week

Comment

Another fine dinner this evening 2 pies and some garlic knots.

Looking to start the veneer next week

Has anyone used marble for a counter top I visited a local granite shop and they had a 12"x6' piece available but the shop said marble will not be as durable as granite I don't see a difference for this aplication any thoughts regarding snow, ice,food etc

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post

Has anyone used marble for a counter top I visited a local granite shop and they had a 12"x6' piece available but the shop said marble will not be as durable as granite I don't see a difference for this aplication any thoughts regarding snow, ice,food etc

I'm assuming you mean for an outdoor counter. No, it would not be wise to use marble outside...especially thin ( 3 cm ) counter slabs.
                              Last edited by stonecutter; 09-13-2013, 04:44 AM.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

Well tonight we had a huge pizza party we cooked 24 pies everything work out great. It's been 4 hours since I raked out the coals and the oven is still 500 degrees. Sorry no pics to post I was to busy cooking pies it's almost as much work as making the oven. The funniest part of the whole night was that no one could believe the pizzas would be done in a minute and a half they were almost afraid to eat them !!! Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X