• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gianluca's 42" oven build

here are some more pics

Comment

Continued work today on the oven I laid 2 more courses I think 2 more and a plug should do it.
      I'm trying my best to minmize the grout lines but I've accepted that without a wet saw and proper bevel/angle jig it would be just time consuming I have attached a pic of my bevel jig for laughs no kidding it works!!
      I am wondering what is the best mix/method for grouting the gaps I have some really fine sandblasting sand that I was going to use in the home brew recipe 2/1/1/1 extra fine sand instead of 3/1/1/1 I plan on grouting tommorrow b4 I start its getting tough to reach in.

Does anyone have any opinions on a 8"x8" clay flue for a chimney size and type they also sell a 10"x6" it just seems to be the most efficent way to go considering labor and cost

Comment

Originally posted by GIANLUCA View Post
        Continued work today on the oven I laid 2 more courses I think 2 more and a plug should do it.
        I'm trying my best to minmize the grout lines but I've accepted that without a wet saw and proper bevel/angle jig it would be just time consuming I have attached a pic of my bevel jig for laughs no kidding it works!!
        I am wondering what is the best mix/method for grouting the gaps I have some really fine sandblasting sand that I was going to use in the home brew recipe 2/1/1/1 extra fine sand instead of 3/1/1/1 I plan on grouting tommorrow b4 I start its getting tough to reach in.

Does anyone have any opinions on a 8"x8" clay flue for a chimney size and type they also sell a 10"x6" it just seems to be the most efficent way to go considering labor and cost
        That is a very rich mixture for mortar....especially with fine grained aggregate. Stay at 3 parts aggregate at the very least. My mix was closer to 5.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

8X8 is small for a 42" oven...look for a 12X12. It's hard to over-flue outdoor ovens ( or fireplaces).

I don't know if you went to O&G in Bridgeport yet, but they carry all kinds of clay flue sizes. Actually, you should be able to get anything you want from them.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the reply I have purchased a lot of materials from them the flue is available in many different sizes I was just hoping to get a lot of advise on size.
            So you think a 12/12 would do it? That seems kinda large do you think a 8/10 would do it?
            Can you believe og does not carry fireclay anylonger I did find everything at homer c Godfrey in Bpt. Og did give me a sweet discount on the firebricks

Comment

The one in Torrington was my base location, but I would go to Waterbury sometimes...Bridgeport only for large quantity or to see what was in the stone bins. I never had a problem getting fireclay in T-town.

Personally, the smallest I would go would be 10x10.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Continued work today I finished up the exsisting course and grouted the inteior dome my finger tips are officially chewed up!!!! The next course above that was challenging it was the last course for the IT it actually caused bricks to fall when I tried to remove it I just held them in place for a few minutes and they stuck! the next and final course I had to find something to put in the oven to hold up the last course and plug after walking around the house I noticed the beach ball in my pool lol!! so I deflated it and stuck it in the oven with a frisbe on top, My wife was in stiches!! It worked perfect... tommorrow I will cement in the final course and cut the plug.

Comment

here are some more pics

Comment

I forgot to ask in the last post about covering the dome in a inch of mud prior to the insulation blanket also is there anyway I can add some type of waterproof or sealer in the mud coat over the blanket to make it waterproof I do not plan on covering the oven until end of August I just don't want to worry about keeping a tarp over it constantly also it's an eye soar covered up.
                    Last edited by GIANLUCA; 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

You can use a waterproof sealer like a tarp...

AFAIK, there is no product that is going to make mortar waterproof - and once you have it cured, I wouldn't risk it getting wet.

I had an eyesore for a whole summer, but was happy not to have to recure it.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

It's completed I finally plugged her!! Finished up today on the dome I made a round plug on bottom and a 45 degree wedge at top so it wont fall in I think it worked out okay I'm pretty happy with the outcome of course a few mistakes but unoticeable the grout lines were unavoidable without a preciscion wet saw at least there all less than 1/4". I will let the dome air dry for a week then start to cure it after I will complete the entryway during the airdry proccess

Comment

Nice job especially so with only using a cutoff saw. Kudos
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Its facing the wrong way Gianluca!
                            Or has the neighbour let you build it in their garden to save your space?

Comment

just got my laptop back up and running, so i missed a lot of your build the last couple weeks. your ahead of me a couple courses. i am watching your build carefully so i can learn. good job with the pics of your build. they have helped me immensely.

maybe incorrect on my part, but from what i understood, is you were shooting for a dome height a little less than half your diameter. (turnbuckle issue?) i stole an idea from someone else and used a lazy susan with the IT attached off center. this is letting me build (i hope) a 38" diameter with a 16" height. probably not the norm but something different. it has worked so far up to course #7 but i will not be able to use it the top 3 courses. will need the beach ball or plywood on a jack method.

just thought i would toss it in to the forum....a little late but none the less a comment maybe someone else can find usefull.

great build...looking forward to seeing how you finish up the dome!
                              jon
                              jon

Comment

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the praise. And for the oven facing backwards it was too late to fix lol!!!! As far as th low dome what I saw is that when you usu a hinge for an it it automatically sets you lower because of the offset infat it brought me down an 1 1/2" so I used it for 3 rows than used the wood form for one brick than attached the it to it be very carefully here the wood form does not hold a sphere well I screwed up on 3 bricks on rt side I didn't see it until the row on top thank god it wasn't bad and and not that noticeable. If you off set the it enough it will lower the dome plenty I just blended the heights for a Pompeii an napletano dome which came to 15". I made it all the way to the last course b4 the beach ball another way is just to support up a frisbee and then put a little sand on top for a cushion drop it after you set them to check for clearance

Comment

Working...
                                X